An Old School Catholic Message Board

"body Worlds" Exhibits

Jabberwocky

My sister sent a video link about this exhibit to my mother, and she expressed to me her unease about it. "Isn't this, like, exposing the human body in a grotesque way? Taking away from the sacredness of it?" What do you think?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Worlds"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Worlds[/url]

homeschoolmom

Bleh... it's been here for months. Finally closing in two weeks. I'm not a fan of using human bodies as an art medium.

My neighbor sez he is gonna donate his body to this when he dies.
I told him I want to be put in a pine box and left to rot in peace.
While I think that dissecting is an important part of learning in medicine ( I have been to the cadavar lab in Madison and got to touch too!) I think that this is just a little too creepy for me.

rollingcatholic

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1125910' date='Nov 22 2006, 04:59 AM']
My neighbor sez he is gonna donate his body to this when he dies.
I told him I want to be put in a pine box and left to rot in peace.
While I think that dissecting is an important part of learning in medicine ( I have been to the cadavar lab in Madison and got to touch too!) I think that this is just a little too creepy for me.
[/quote]

I'm not having a pine box--One inch thick titanium-clad stainless steel for me.

[quote name='Jabberwocky' post='1125535' date='Nov 21 2006, 09:11 PM']
My sister sent a video link about this exhibit to my mother, and she expressed to me her unease about it. "Isn't this, like, exposing the human body in a grotesque way? Taking away from the sacredness of it?" What do you think?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Worlds"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Worlds[/url]
[/quote]

[size=1]I think the exhibit is showing how amazingly complex and beautiful the human body is.
But from a Catholic prospective, it makes you wonder if it is ok..
I dont know... :idontknow:
[/size]

Edited by CrossCuT

rollingcatholic

[quote name='CrossCuT' post='1125942' date='Nov 22 2006, 07:17 AM']
[size=1]I think the exhibit is showing how amazingly complex and beautiful the human body is.
But from a Catholic prospective, it makes you wonder if it is ok..
I dont know... :idontknow:
[/size]
[/quote]

Going to such a show from your perspective would be fine. Unfortunately, many go to simply gawk.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1125539' date='Nov 21 2006, 08:17 PM']
Bleh... it's been here for months. Finally closing in two weeks. I'm not a fan of using human bodies as an art medium.
[/quote]
:unsure:

Oh, I was just going to ask you if you wanted to go to this instead of Ikea when we go shopping ...

It's not art. He never claimed it was art.

(btw, I think if yo look at the churches built out of human bones, many people on Phatmass thought it was 'neat')

Edited by Noel's angel

It rubs me wrong. "Burying the dead" is a coporal work of mercy, after all, and...this exhibit really seems to be more about gawking at butchered corpses than anything else. That's different from medical cadavers in a lot of ways.

When I die, I either want my organs donated, or if that is not possible, my body donated for medical research. Then I want what's left of my body to be disposed of respectfully in a Catholic ceremony.

I don't know if this is OK or not. It could be educational, I just hope they are disposed of respectfully.