An Old School Catholic Message Board

"body Worlds" Exhibits

Jabberwocky

Birgitta Noel

I think it's fine so long as they are donated with consent by the person and burried respectfully afterwards. I look at this as educational.

There is one problem though. It has been claimed that many of these bodies, or was it bodies in a similar exhibit?, weren't actually donated, but were bodies of Chinese prisoners.....THAT is problematic.

I want my body buried in a great offwhite marble sarcofogus in the chapel of the monestary which I will have funded to have Masses said in perpetuity for the repose of my soul and the souls of my kinsfolk. If I cannot afford this, I would like to have my corpse put in the mausoleum of my family mansion until it rots, and then I want my bones to be made into a work of art to be put in my parish church.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1126129' date='Nov 22 2006, 02:03 PM']
That's a different, yet similar, exhibit "Bodies: the Exhibition."
[/quote]

Ah HA! I thought it was a different one. How did I know you'd know?! :lol:

sweet..I disagree with the most of you.

As someone who, if it wasnt for ministry, almost went to school for Diagnostics(*painfully ironic considering I am sarcastic and use a cane) and having a wife that is an exercise physiologist we actually went to this exhibit on the FIRST day of our honeymoon..

why? because it was not an art thing to us. it is at the bloody science muesium. It has the intention of being educational, but you know what else? it is incredbility bias in the fact that it shows the effects to the body from things like smoking. So a kid who does see this will literally see the damage caused. The exhibit is highly respectful giving the story of the body as well as numerous quotes from many philosophers including some of our church fathers.

Of course some could pervert this can consider it an art display. But that was not the motive of the people involved or the angle the muesium took. Unless you are in a med program chances are you will never see a body like this. Never get a chance to see how amazing a creator we have. This gave the average Joe a chance to do this.

[quote]Mission of the Exhibitions
The primary goal of BODY WORLDS is health education. On the one hand, individual specimens are used to compare healthy and diseased organs, i.e., a healthy lung with that of a smoker, to emphasize the importance of a healthy life-style. On the other hand, life-like posed whole-body plastinates illustrate where in our bodies these organs are positioned and what we are: naturally fragile in a mechanized world.

Thus, the exhibitions are targeted mainly at a lay audience to open up the opportunity to better understand the human body and its functions. The exhibits help the visitors to once again become aware of the naturalness of their bodies and to recognize the individuality and anatomical beauty inside of them.

The authenticity of the specimens on display is essential for such insight. Every human being is unique. Humans reveal their individuality not only through the visible exterior, but also through the interior of their bodies, as each body is distinctly different from any other. Position, size, shape, and structure of skeleton, muscles, nerves, and organs determine our "interior face." It would be impossible to convey this anatomical individuality with models, for a model is nothing more than an interpretation. All models look alike and are, essentially, simplified versions of the real thing. The authenticity of the specimens, however, is fascinating and enables the observer to experience the marvel of the real human body. The exhibitions are thus dedicated to the individual interior face.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/exhibitions/mission_exhibitions.html"]http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/exhibitions/m...xhibitions.html[/url]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1126183' date='Nov 22 2006, 03:12 PM']
Ah HA! I thought it was a different one. How did I know you'd know?! :lol:
[/quote]
:blush: because I'm weird like that?

• 2 weeks later...
rollingcatholic

[quote name='Balthazor' post='1126307' date='Nov 22 2006, 05:39 PM']
I suppose if you are not religious you find imortality any way you can.
[/quote]

Remember me!

[img]http://www.futurama-madhouse.com.ar/animated/bender_flames_animate.gif[/img]

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='RC _' post='1125912' date='Nov 22 2006, 06:02 AM']
I'm not having a pine box--One inch thick titanium-clad stainless steel for me.
[/quote]
My preference would be to die alone in the wilderness and that my corpse would be consumed by wild beasts.

Revprod, I agree with you. I went with a nurse friend (I am a PT and did 9 mos of cadaver dissection on the same cadaver in school 20 yrs ago). I found the exhibit amazing. It is not for everyone.

I thought the exhibit of the pregnant mother was one sure way to show that abortion is killing a human being. Yes, many of the exhibits are 'gruesome' to some---but isn't that because our society has conditioned us to believe human bodies are 'gross'?? I mean how many products, garments, lotions and potions, diet programs, plastic surgeries, miracle drugs etc do we hear about (or indulge in!) every day to try to NOT have the bodies we have? THAT is 'gruesome' to me! This exhibit is a celebration of what we are! And of course it is not for those who faint when they see an open wound, or barf when they see blood. That would be my husband. Why is it we can delve into the spiritual journey of our fellow man in minute detail, faults and failures included, but physically we are unable to to approve the viewing of our inner selves physically? Remnants of dualism?

If anything, this exhibit shows us up close and personal that the human body is magnificent, a masterful creation of God, and shoots down the dualists who think 'body=bad, spirit=good'...

Just my .02

Overall, I think the whole idea of the exhibit is certainly respectful of the human body as something sacred, etc. However, I heard that some of the fetuses that are used in the exhibit were from abortions. I don't know if it's true or not though.