An Old School Catholic Message Board

War On Christmas

Hascal

Is there a "War on Christmas"  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I never say Happy Holidays. I usually say Merry Christmas to my Christian friends, Happy Chanukah to my Jewish friends, and Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to my Jewish friends who celebrate Christmas :)

[quote name='Socrates' post='1136111' date='Dec 5 2006, 11:11 PM']
The "War on Christmas" is but a small skirmish in the larger war by secularist liberals to remove anything smacking of Christianity from American public life.
Let's face it, the secularists would have no problem with Christmas if it did not involve Christ.

And O'Reilly's speaking of the "War on Christmas" is neither genius nor idiocy - it is simply pointing out and giving a name to a well-established phenomena.
[/quote]

I strongly disagree with you on the "War on Christmas" being a small skirmish of the culture war, I believe its one of the main fronts to defend Christianity in America, not "The Main Front" but its a big one, its been spinning out of control for the past, half decade. Also despite Bill O'Reilly's Moderate views and some what Anti Catholic beliefs, I agree with his position on the War on Christmas. I dont always agree with Bill O'Reilly's views on alot of things, but this one I do, and I do thank him for having the guts to come out and rise fists against Secular Humanism "Secular Liberal America." However I'm getting off point here alittle bit, I just wanted to say that actually, I respectfully, yet strongly disagree with your statement, my friend. :)

If there is fact on War on Christmas, we Christians are seeing what we've done to all the other Religous Minorities in this Nation.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1139148' date='Dec 10 2006, 02:16 AM']
Secularization is a weapon of Hell
[/quote]

I don't think its secularization, as much as it's embracing Hanacuk and the other religous Holidays that fall around the Christian Christmas

gamesfanatic04

I agree that there is a war on Christmas but it's not any different than the war on any form of Christianity. The real question I have is how do we get Christmas back, and not the secular one. My fiance and I have been discussing how we would give our future children a Christian Christmas. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by gamesfanatic04

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='gamesfanatic04' post='1139157' date='Dec 10 2006, 03:48 AM']
I agree that there is a war on Christmas but it's not any different than the war on any form of Christianity. The real question I have is how do we get Christmas back, and not the secular one. My fiance and I have been discussing how we would give our future children a Christian Christmas. Does anyone have any ideas?
[/quote]
Now thats an easy question :) You are just asking for this thread to be hijacked :)

Have a Catholic Christmass. :D:
Celebrate Advent with an Advent wreath, celebrate Christmas from Christmas eve to Candlemas. Keep your house filled with a minimum of gifts and commercialization [and Santas]and a maximum of love, joy, family and friends. Work at a food bank, do presents for patients, adopt a needy family. Don't let Christmas become an exchange of demand lists, but give your kids one thing that they want the most - your time and attention.

For the rest of the year - keep a Catholic liturgical calendar. Celebrate feast days, liturgical seasons, and you and your childrens Saint days. Every month offers possibilities. Pray together.

THere are lots of internet resources : domestic church, and catholicculture, and catholic exchange come to mind.

Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There's laughter, cheer, and good red wine;
At least I have always found it so--
Benedicamos Domino!
--Hillaire Belloc

back to your regularly scheduled topic. :lol_roll:

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1136606' date='Dec 6 2006, 03:46 PM']
Badger, badger, badger, badger MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM! :lol_roll: :lol_roll:
[/quote]
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol_roll:

in response to cmotherofpirl's post, it sounds like a good way to spend the Christmas season :D:

although I do think that eventually I will need to explain to my children who santa is, not as a real person, but as what the world thinks he is, and to tell them that although santa is around, Christ is the real reason for Christmas, and santa is an obscured form of St. Nicholas

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1139146' date='Dec 10 2006, 12:10 AM']
If there is fact on War on Christmas, we Christians are seeing what we've done to all the other Religous Minorities in this Nation.
[/quote]

You do realize that Catholics have always been a Religious Minority, don't you?

yep, when you think 'religious persecution in the history of the United States" the two PRIMARY EXAMPLES are #1 Catholicism especially in the form of the hoards of poor European immigrants... and... well, I guess #2 would be mormonism in that they were chased all the way to Utah.

Groo the Wanderer

The War is back on!

My daughter was asked to write the flyer going to home to parents asking for each kiddo to bring something for the class party. In it, she concluded by wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

The teacher told her that was not allowed and to change it to Happy Holidays. Kathryn asked her exactly which holiday we were celebrating. The teacher got flustered. My 11 yr old then proceeded to remind her that they are not out of school ffor Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Ramadan. On top of that, it is not a 'Winter Break' either, since it actually starts in the last week of Fall.

Teacher was a bit put out and reminded Kathryn that 'we all have to be sure not to offend people that don't celebrate Christmas'. She was not happy when my daugther retorted (politely) that the one Muslim girl in the class DOES celebrate Christmas and even has a Christmas tree in her house. The teacher had no answer when questioned about who in the class was upset about the word 'Christmas'.

Sad thing is, this 'teacher' claims to be a Christian. I SO hate public schools! :maddest: :maddest: Seems we must be careful to only offend Christians now...

God help all of us who fail to defend His Church...

My simple contention to anyone who doesn't think that there is a war on Christmas is this:

Why do they want to change everything that says or has to do with Christmas into "holiday season" stuff? I'll tell you why. Because they don't want Christmas around. they say it is to be all-inclusive of both people and Thanksgiving and New Year's. taht's a load of malarkey. If Christmas was during another part of the year there would be no "holiday season". No one puts up trees for Thanksgiving or New Year's -- so stop calling it a holiday tree. Most elementary schools already have a Thanksgiving play -- so stop trying to call the next one the "holiday play". And other religious observances? Well, Hannakkah is observed seperately from Christmas and has been for a long time. The other religious observances should be celebrated seperatef rom Christmas, too. The only reason someone would want to combine them is to take away the focus on Jesus Christ and His birth.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1141029' date='Dec 13 2006, 12:20 AM']
The War is back on!

My daughter was asked to write the flyer going to home to parents asking for each kiddo to bring something for the class party. In it, she concluded by wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

The teacher told her that was not allowed and to change it to Happy Holidays. Kathryn asked her exactly which holiday we were celebrating. The teacher got flustered. My 11 yr old then proceeded to remind her that they are not out of school ffor Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Ramadan. On top of that, it is not a 'Winter Break' either, since it actually starts in the last week of Fall.

Teacher was a bit put out and reminded Kathryn that 'we all have to be sure not to offend people that don't celebrate Christmas'. She was not happy when my daugther retorted (politely) that the one Muslim girl in the class DOES celebrate Christmas and even has a Christmas tree in her house. The teacher had no answer when questioned about who in the class was upset about the word 'Christmas'.

Sad thing is, this 'teacher' claims to be a Christian. I SO hate public schools! :maddest: :maddest: Seems we must be careful to only offend Christians now...

[/quote]

That's what gets me the most about the whole thing. They say that we have to be careful to not offend anyone. But they conveniently forget completely about the Christians they are offending everyday by trying to not "offend" anyone. Just further goes to show they couldn't care less about who they offend as long as God is banned from any and all human function.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1141029' date='Dec 13 2006, 12:20 AM']
The War is back on!

[/quote]

Your daughter is so cool! Just wait she will become a lawyer or a politician.... the good kind (like me) :D: And she will give everyone a run for thier money.