An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Everything Catholicism Book

EcceNovaFacioOmni

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I checked out this book in a store and it seems a bit liberal to me. Saying that the Church made mistakes, infallibility is changing, beliefs evolve, etc. Has anyone else heard about it and what do you think?

I checked out this book in a store and it seems a bit liberal to me. Saying that the Church made mistakes, infallibility is changing, beliefs evolve, etc. Has anyone else heard about it and what do you think?

Never heard of the book. If you want an orthodox book, get Catholicism For Dummies, it's written by two priests who so happen to also be on EWTN. The Complete Idiot's Guide To Understanding Catholicism tends to be on the liberal side.

u should find the book at amazon and read the comments from people who have read it. sometimes, those are helpful.........sometimes there not. i haven't gone there to check it out yet, but that may help.

it would be cool if there was a catholic site that reviewed catholic media when it came out so we would know what's orthodox before we spend our hard earned money.

Of course the Church can make mistakes and change things.

The REAL questions are what it can err on or change.

Dogma, defining Dogma, etc., the Church cannot err or change.

Man-made rules for the living application of Dogma can be in error. People acting in the name of the Church can make mistakes in what they do or say. Discipline rules can change. For example, married priests were more the norm at one time. The Church has decided, for various reasons, that being unmarried is preferable for a priest. The Church adamantly taught the the sun moved around the earth. It certainly doesn't teach that now. Though there were/are theological Truths it wished to maintian, the Church is not an expert in defining or understanding Science.

Two words: Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur

Ok, that's three words, but look for those at the beginning of a book to ensure the orthodoxy of a published work.

If you want an orthodox book, get Catholicism For Dummies, it's written by two priests who so happen to also be on EWTN. 

I have to second this one. I thought CFD was a great book. My mom, who is in RCIA right now loved it too. You'll note that it does have the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur in it.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I had a religious text book that had an orthodoxy stamp on it. It wasn't "Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur", but it was something that said the book was orthodox. Anyway, I didn't think the book was very orthodox. It watered down the masculinity of God and stuff. I'll check for those words, however.

There is a wide range of opinion allowed within the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur.

I chatted with an ederly priest I had just met the other day when visiting the Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine in Orlando. He said people try to define God into box too often.

I often try to define God into my perfect Box.

Getting perfect Mercy to fit with perfect Justice and have His Self-Sacrifice fit with Omnipotence.

Who am I kidding? Our perceptions and opinions will necessarily pale to the actuality.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I looked, and only two of my books have that inscription, the Catechism, and a Scot Hahn book. Some of my others don't have any orthodoxy inscriptions, but I know from reading them, they are orthodox. This stamp system should be more widely used to include all Catholic books, it'd be much easier.

Circle_Master

Getting perfect Mercy to fit with perfect Justice and have His Self-Sacrifice fit with Omnipotence.

still not sure - where do you get this perfect mercy from?

Circle_Master

God has given mercy over time - why does that mean it must be perfect mercy?

God has also destroyed nations - does that mean he is a perfect destroyer of all?

God has been sorry He created man - does He always portray perfect sorry?

Mercy is an action, so is destruction and so is sorrow. I'm not sure why you take it to be perfect

hyperdulia again

To all three questions yup. To the why, becuase he IS perfect. God is perfect (The Archetype of Being), so therefore if a perfect being does anything it is either done perfectly or He is not perfect. If He is not Perfect, then I must find a new God.

Circle_Master

wait, it is done perfectly, or it is perfect. JisJas said "Getting perfect Mercy to fit with perfect Justice" and his struggle is not that each act of mercy and each act of justice are perfect, but that God is perfect in mercy always being merciful and always being just. I agree each act is perfect, but saying He must always be merciful I cannot agree with.

Do you agree? And if not, then why do you say He must be always merciful?