An Old School Catholic Message Board

Am I Out Of Line?

catholicinsd

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

homeschoolmom

Well, defending her makes it sound like you condone her actions.

I'm not sure that this is going to be a productive thread, but I'm going to bed... some other mod can make a judgement call on it.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1142021' date='Dec 14 2006, 01:02 AM']
Well, defending her makes it sound like you condone her actions.

I'm not sure that this is going to be a productive thread, but I'm going to bed... some other mod can make a judgement call on it.
[/quote]

I wanna know if its time to call it quits on her or not.

Thy Geekdom Come

Yes, you're out of line for defending the indefensible. It's good to pray for people's souls, but to pretend that they've done nothing wrong and are doing nothing wrong or that they are not guilty and that someone else is to blame...that's counterproductive and does more harm to your friend than good.

Birgitta Noel

For a few reasons.

1. Don't presume others have done nothing.
2. Don't presume you can handle this on your own.
3. Those who press charges may help her because it may bring her problem out in the open so to speak.
4. Defending your continued discussions is different from defending her.

What she is doing is wrong and is dangerous to souls, especially her own. She needs professional help spiritual and psychological. Don't presume that just because you're strong in your faith and you recognize what's going on that you're not at risk. We are all of us at risk at anytime; we are all capable of the greatest sin.

She remains in my prayers. I know it is difficult to watch one we love suffer. Just be prudent.

Hmmmm... While, she remains my friend, I think I will tell her that our relationship is becoming co-dependent.

Edited by catholicinsd

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1142028' date='Dec 14 2006, 01:15 AM']
Hmmmm... While, she remains my friend, I think I will tell what our relationship is becoming co-dependent.
[/quote]

Co-dependent? That's truly disturbing.

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1142029' date='Dec 14 2006, 01:15 AM']
Co-dependent? That's truly disturbing.
[/quote]

I don't think's that the right term, but as the mods can testify, I don't think my relationship wit my dear friend is healthy anymore.

Birgitta Noel

Then you must make a wise decision. I am greatly concerned with anyone who is not spiritually/professionally trained interacting with her.

We do not understand the power of evil or the risk of what seems to us to be innocuous interactions. Putting one's soul at risk is, well, risky.

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1142036' date='Dec 14 2006, 01:21 AM']
Putting one's soul at risk is, well, risky.
[/quote]

Before I would say, "If it means the redemtion of her soul, I don't care about mine." But now, I just don't know.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1142038' date='Dec 14 2006, 02:25 AM']
Before I would say, "If it means the redemtion of her soul, I don't care about mine." But now, I just don't know.
[/quote]
Not caring about your soul is the surest sign that you cannot save hers.

I encourage you to practice heroic virtue, but it is simply impossible to be a hero to another soul by losing your own.

Birgitta Noel

We must always care about our own souls. We cannot sacrifice our soul for that of another. Someone more well versed in theology will have to speak to that issue, but making a deal with the devil is never ok.

Her salvation is a matter of a) free will and b) appropriate spiritual and medical intervention. Remember Christ will not fail anyone who comes to Him. He doesn't ask your soul of you to save her.