Moosey Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 I don't believe it is stealing because its called file sharing. The person who puts the music on these programs are responsible for pirating, not the person downloading it. But even so, Rev makes a good point about that. I download music but I don't sell it, I just listen to it. Besides, myspace has musician profiles that have their music on there so you can download it. My $0.02
Sojourner Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 [quote name='Moosey' post='1156805' date='Jan 5 2007, 02:04 PM'] I don't believe it is stealing because its called file sharing. The person who puts the music on these programs are responsible for pirating, not the person downloading it. But even so, Rev makes a good point about that. I download music but I don't sell it, I just listen to it. Besides, myspace has musician profiles that have their music on there so you can download it. My $0.02 [/quote] it's called "receiving stolen property." If you knowingly receive property which is stolen, you are liable.
Moosey Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 What if it isnt stolen at all, and was just ripped from a CD that was legally purchased? I can't be held responsible for stealing if I don't know if from whom I'm downloading from stole it or not. There's no way of telling, therefore, I shouldn't be held accountable.
morostheos Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 It doesn't matter if they purchased the cd legally or not - they don't have the rights to share it 99% of the time, so they are giving you something that they don't own. That's stealing.
Sojourner Posted January 5, 2007 Posted January 5, 2007 [quote name='morostheos' post='1156848' date='Jan 5 2007, 02:41 PM'] It doesn't matter if they purchased the cd legally or not - they don't have the rights to share it 99% of the time, so they are giving you something that they don't own. That's stealing. [/quote] yes I was working on a longer explanation but that sums it up nicely
Jesus_lol Posted January 8, 2007 Posted January 8, 2007 (edited) besides, the amount of money artsists' make off studio albums is incredibly small compared to live shows. which mostly depend on a wide fan base. many bands that "need" the money, promote downloading. metallica doesnt but that is because they are already well known Edited January 8, 2007 by Jesus_lol
SRMiller Posted January 8, 2007 Posted January 8, 2007 I personally decided that Limewire was wrong, though I did use it for a time. Now I've deleted everything I downloaded from them, including the program itself. I didn't like that my music would be available for downloading, and someone could download one of my CDs, and then someone could download my CD from that person and so on. When you think of it like that, I realized how it seemed pretty wrong. And you have no way of telling if that person actually bought the song or not. Even so, if I didn't buy the song, it just seemed wrong. My opinion.
prose Posted January 8, 2007 Posted January 8, 2007 [quote name='morostheos' post='1156848' date='Jan 5 2007, 02:41 PM'] It doesn't matter if they purchased the cd legally or not - they don't have the rights to share it 99% of the time, so they are giving you something that they don't own. That's stealing. [/quote] Okay, except the flaw to this argument is that they aren't "giving" you something. They are allowing you to copy something that they own. They aren't selling it to you. They aren't making money off of the exchange. They are letting you copy a file that they currently own.
Era Might Posted January 8, 2007 Posted January 8, 2007 That defeats the whole purpose of selling non-material property. One person could buy one CD and distribute it to the whole world. Then nobody would ever have to pay for music. Same with books. Why pay for a book when you can just upload it and give it to everyone? A song or an album is a product. When you buy it, you are buying the rights to one copy for yourself, just as when you buy a book, you are buying that one copy of the book. You can't buy a book, xerox each page, and then give those copies away; you have to buy more books. You can give that one book itself away (the one copy that you purchased), but you are only giving away that one copy; you aren't producing new copies and depriving the author of the price of a new copy of their product.
morostheos Posted January 8, 2007 Posted January 8, 2007 [quote name='prose' post='1158931' date='Jan 8 2007, 08:02 PM'] Okay, except the flaw to this argument is that they aren't "giving" you something. They are allowing you to copy something that they own. They aren't selling it to you. They aren't making money off of the exchange. They are letting you copy a file that they currently own. [/quote] Except it's not a matter of whether it's being given or taken on your own. Having something that is owned by someone (not you), was not bought legally or given as a gift is usually something that is stolen. Don't get me wrong prose, I think y'all in Canada are really lucky to have the set up you do - and I don't think you're stealing. Most of the world doesn't have the same thing though. There was a tax on tape recorders that did the same, making it okay to copy things to tapes in the US, but a similar tax was never implemented on computers/other cd burners in the US - so for us it's stealing.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now