An Old School Catholic Message Board

Girl Entering With The Poor Clares

cathoholic_anonymous

cathoholic_anonymous

I've just had an e-mail from a girl who graduated from my university last year. She is entering the Poor Clare monastery in Galway, Ireland on 16th April. Although she and I were never close friends, it was she who made me see that religious life is a real possibility for people like me, and not something that is accessible only to the very holy. Please pray for her.

This is where she is going: [url="http://www.poorclares.ie/"]Poor Clares Galway[/url]

What a beautfiul monastery. So much room to walk outside. And what an aptly named 'nuns' island'. Prayers for your friend!

DiscerningSoul

I loved the pictures and I'll be sure to pray for her.

Jessica
[url="http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul"]http://www.xanga.com/ADiscerningSoul[/url]
[url="http://blog.myspace.com/147329732"]http://blog.myspace.com/147329732[/url]

HeavenlyCalling

They look like a wonderful comunity, many prayers for this girl :sign:
It's cool how the sisters rings are a cross, by the way, I have never seen that before!

Edited by HeavenlyCalling

I visited this community when I was over there in 2002. They are definitely lovely! I wasn't visiting because I possibly wanted to enter there, but because I was thinking of becoming a Poor Clare possibly in Minooka or Rockford, IL back then, and wanted to speak with the Mother there about it. She was sooo nice! :saint: And then she brought out all the sisters to see me! Definitely a joyful community in the spirit of St. Clare - and a beautiful monastery. They're in the city of Galway, but I think Nun's Island is actually a type of island surrounded by a lake. So happy to hear someone's entering there! Thanks! :)

cathoholic_anonymous

The more I look at that website, the more jealous I feel. :blush: I don't know why. Now that someone I know is entering for sure, I want to rush off and do the same thing! Is this normal?

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous

Totally! I know someone who just entered the Carmelites, and I felt I wish I could enter now too. Instead I've got to be working at this little store in the world, in obedience to my SD .. I hope to leave the world soon!

but of course, it's never good to be jealous in anyway, but I totally get what you mean. But yeah, my mom always says jealousy is like poison. It's like injecting poison into yourself. It's really imitating the devil, rather than the sweet little Child at Bethlehem. I always try to keep these images in mind, whenever I start feeling jealous ..

VeniteAdoremus

There are two forms of jealousy - they have different words in Dutch, but I'm not sure about English.

There's the jealousy of someone having something you'd like. This is not neccesarily a bad thing: it can encourage and inspire you to be like the saints, for example, or like a girl entering a cloister that appeals to you ;). It's bad if it takes your mind off your own situation, and your own calling - because your calling is unique, there is nothing like it, and it's one of the most precious things you have. Don't throw it away for a second hand vocation! (Vintage is very fashionable, but there's going too far ;) ).

Then there's the jealousy (which we clog dancers call "afgunst", or "off-gift", something like that) in which you do not only want what the other is having, you also want the other not to have it. That IS, obviously, a bad thing, and poison for your soul. Everybody has it from time to time, and we should identify, analyse, and surpress it.

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1163850' date='Jan 13 2007, 06:59 PM']
I visited this community when I was over there in 2002. They are definitely lovely! I wasn't visiting because I possibly wanted to enter there, but because I was thinking of becoming a Poor Clare possibly in Minooka or Rockford, IL back then, and wanted to speak with the Mother there about it. She was sooo nice! :saint: And then she brought out all the sisters to see me! Definitely a joyful community in the spirit of St. Clare - and a beautiful monastery. They're in the city of Galway, but I think Nun's Island is actually a type of island surrounded by a lake. So happy to hear someone's entering there! Thanks! :)
[/quote]

I have "holy envy" of you!! :saint:

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1164369' date='Jan 14 2007, 01:56 PM']
I have "holy envy" of you!! :saint:
[/quote] lol ... it was great being in Ireland, but nothing tops being in a cloister espoused to the Most High and on your way to Heaven! or rather, being in His will & on your way to Heaven! I love how under your interests in your profile it says - Heaven. .. Heaven period, that's the highest and greatest good & place to be!

Edited by Margaret Clare

• 2 months later...
cathoholic_anonymous

I made a mistake. It's tomorrow that she's entering - Divine Mercy Sunday!

This was a nice present for her, as she has always had a special devotion to the Divine Mercy. She had originally hoped to take Faustina as her religious name when the time comes, but there is already a Faustina in that community.