An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone Here

hopeful1

I just finished intro to psych last semester and i'm in human development right now. before college, i thought i'd really enjoy it, i mean from the little they covered back in HS i found it really intriguing, but now...i dunno, i just find myself leaving class somehow-depressed. (how's that for irony? a psych class making me depressed. shall i have someone commit me?). basically it's making me seriously question everything i thought i believed or wanted (ex. one of my greatest dreams is to have a family, now i'm not even sure if that's even what i want, let alone the possibility of ever finding a good catholic who's anything more than a pew warmer on Sunday, if he even bothers to go then.) i hate sitting through the class and hearing things like abortion, contraception, and euthanasia condoned. anything discussing sex is like torture for me to sit through. basically if you could invision a fundamentalist (not meant to offend) listening to a biology teacher teach evolution, that would be me (although i don't really have a problem with evolution). i feel like i can't even argue with any of the sources cuz it's a brand new text so all the research is recent and from reputable sources. i keep trying to tell myself to smell of elderberries it up, you're not in a catholic school anymore and get used to it cuz the world was never ment to be catholic friendly, but it's still tough, ya know?

can anyone relate or has felt this way in psychology (or anyother class for that matter?) :sadder:

I'm in a high school spych class right now and its nice because we are being taught by a brother and he gives up the prespective on the info, but the Catholic side too. It's like he will tell us what the psychologists believe but he won't be forcing us to believe that by any means. Some of the things psychologists say are crazy go nuts, but some of the things make sense. Freud for example, the stages are kinda crazy (oral and so forth), but the ego and superego and id make sense. I think a lot of people's preception of psych has to do with the teacher and how he or she presents what old mostly dead guys have said about how you (who they didn't actually know) think. If the present it as hard evidence, that is going to fly in the face of religion, but if they present it as a belief which has some evidence behind it but is not definite then The Faith can be incorporated into those thoughts. But I'm just in hs psych, so don't count me as the most credible person in the world.

I'm in a high school spych class right now and its nice because we are being taught by a brother and he gives up the prespective on the info, but the Catholic side too. It's like he will tell us what the psychologists believe but he won't be forcing us to believe that by any means. Some of the things psychologists say are crazy go nuts, but some of the things make sense. Freud for example, the stages are kinda crazy (oral and so forth), but the ego and superego and id make sense. I think a lot of people's preception of psych has to do with the teacher and how he or she presents what old mostly dead guys have said about how you (who they didn't actually know) think. If the present it as hard evidence, that is going to fly in the face of religion, but if they present it as a belief which has some evidence behind it but is not definite then The Faith can be incorporated into those thoughts. But I'm just in hs psych, so don't count me as the most credible person in the world.

yep, i remember all about frued and his theories! :sweat: Actually i first heard about about him in a religion class in hs too that covered personality for a couple weeks, and it was presented in simular light, and yes some of freud's stuff did make sense. :o same with a few other guys like maslow and kholberg. but i guess it's the secular approach that's become such a turn off right now becuase it feels like it's telling me everything that i believe (especially when they're inline with church teaching's/morals) IS WRONG or anything that i have hope in is in vain (for example there's an article in my textbook that trashes abstinence education as useless, once again adding doubt that i'll marry a virgin [not prejudice, just had hope]. that actually helped prompt this post btw, but there are other issues as well). I mean i've been in catholic schools all my life until college, so some of this almost comes as a slap in the face (or in other cases a dagger to the heart). which reminds me, it's 12 am and i have to get up early for this class tommorrow. :sleep:

littleflower+JMJ

your not complaining hopeful, those are very good concerns that most of us have been thru one way or another. i have taken psychology and i know exactly what you mean, just keep yourself educated on the Church's teaching and etc.

its crazy what the school ed. teaches many times, its such a secular view that it can beat down all of us who know the truth and matters.

i will be praying for you! :)

My psych classes were pretty up for interpretation; but in my Art History Class, I think the title was "A Survey of Baroque Art in the CounterReformation," anyway, the famous Roman altarpiece St. Theresa in Ecstasy was described by the prof as an attempt for the Church to lure Protestants back in through hidden sexual inuendos. She proceeded to sacriligiously describe the saint's expressions, etc... I was mortified when the teacher said this and no one else spoke out about it but me. I was the Catholic Student Union President and I recognized some folks from mass and none of them said anything either. The prof happened to like me so she appologized, but other people made fun of me anyway.

I had a sociology teacher that was a complete fruitcake. He had to weigh at least 280 pounds and it was constant non-stop sex jokes. I also had a teacher who was a Christian Evolutionist (yep, here is the fundamental coming out in me)...by the time I finished with her the dean forced her to sit in other teaches classes to learn how to teach.

Teachers are fallible, and often in public schools aren't actually that smart. Figure out thier flaws and exploit them.

bump to keep it alive. i got some more info in that class that got me depressed, but maybe that's entirely different thread altogether (NFP related,). I'll decide how i'm going to post it later. wish i rethought about taking the class before i take A&P b/c i'm finding that it's hard for me to concentrate b/c my mind's still stuck on what was said in HD. And A&P's kinda important if i'm thinking about going into nursing (which i don't even know anymore). i can't really get out of HD either b/c i need it for my AA degree.

Thanks for the prayers Flowery, i appreciate that. and Bro. Adam, i know exactly what you mean. My last psych professor was like that too, and i swear he was like the black reincarnation of sigmund frued! and to make matters worse when someone had a question about catholicism he basically explained it as a bunch of voodoo (blood boiling at that point :angry: ) if it helps to explain anything, he's from Jamaica and i think he preaches in another church somewhere. so not only was i getting a bunch of sex jokes i was hearing him get biblical about the whole thing at the same time! at least the guy i have now for HD is a little better though, but still...(later)

I've got my degree in Psych but I went to a Catholic college, so I didn't have any bad experiences in my classes. I was taught by a variety of professors, none of which contradicted the faith. We discussed the same issues you have in your classes, but those issues were never condoned. We focused on the problems they cause for people and society. I love psych, just can't help myself. :)

If a teacher ever says your faith is "voodoo" stand up and beat the "verbal" daylights out of him/her.

I had a philosophy teacher that was also a pastor at a local church. He taught the class that Jesus is not the only way to heaven, and to just be a good person and follow your own tastes and be sure to drink a good bottle of wine before you die...

I had more than a few verbal arguments with him right there in class. While he had more academic training than I did, and he was a Christian reformed minister for over 20 years, I stood my ground. At the end of the class he asked by a show of hands those that still believed Christ was the only way to heaven. Every single student sitting directly around me rose their hands :)

If a teacher ever says your faith is "voodoo" stand up and beat the "verbal" daylights out of him/her.

I had a philosophy teacher that was also a pastor at a local church. He taught the class that Jesus is not the only way to heaven, and to just be a good person and follow your own tastes and be sure to drink a good bottle of wine before you die...

I had more than a few verbal arguments with him right there in class. While he had more academic training than I did, and he was a Christian reformed minister for over 20 years, I stood my ground. At the end of the class he asked by a show of hands those that still believed Christ was the only way to heaven. Every single student sitting directly around me rose their hands :)

thanks bro. adam. God knows i sure wanted too, but unfortunately i was afraid i wouldn't be able to, so i ended up going to mass before i had the class and prayed for my professor and the stupid lady that asked the question, instead.

what's frustrating is that both of them both believe that people are too irresponsible to reproduce by themselves and both seem to support eugenics (or at least the first professor i had did more so than the other guy, it's still a bit early in the year to tell). shoot if i were a professor that practiced psychology on the side i'd think the exact opposite, just for the extra money you'd get from the practice alone (sarcasm, ignore that).

here are some of the notes we took today, and it doesn't seem to help the pro-life movement :(

Unplanned births & abuse

unmarried 54%

married 44%

abuse (to me it seemed to imply an arguement for abortion)

2 unplanned -3x's more likely to abuse

3 unplanned 4.6x's more likely

3. marriages due to pregnancy (ok, no real issues here)

-high divorce rate

- more likely unemployed, out of school, welfare

4.Give contraceptives (ok, cue the anger)

failure rates

pill-8%

condom-15%

diaphram -16%

PERIODIC ABSTINENCE 26%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spermicides 25%

and most common STERILIZATION

What's the problem?

-Technology ?

No, user characteristics!!! marital status, poverty age

5.Diseases

natural lambskin condoms-permeable (AIDS< herpes, Hepititus B)

intact latex- leaks (US manufactured 11/106, imports 30/98)

and he made a point that only catholics seemed to believe NFP and talked about how unreliable it is and only talked about the rythym (calender) meathod and that there's no way for anyone to accurately predict their own ovulation becuase not everyone is on 28 day cycle. he also cited some rare event that a woman ovulated while she was pregnant! apparently someone in his family is and has 5 kids and somehow made it sound like it's a bad thing ie. kids=stress. ( not that i think anyone that has kids would disagree, but come on!). maybe he didn't intend for it to sound this way and i'm overeacting, but when ever i hear this it sounds like it's saying that catholics are irresponsible people and it;s not true!

:angry:

great can't wait to read up on how abstinence is failing, masturbation is a-ok, and how we should explore our teen-age sexuality <_<

(sigh) i knew i should have gone to Barry U. (better yet, stubie, but that's seems out of the question) :sadder:

Edited by hopeful1

Mrs. Bro. Adam

and he made a point that only catholics seemed to believe NFP and talked about how unreliable it is and only talked about the rythym (calender) meathod and that there's no way for anyone to accurately predict their own ovulation becuase not everyone is on 28 day cycle.

Next time he/she says that tell them that Protestants use the method as well...In fact, my husband and I will be using it once I get back on cycle, and that I know at least one other Protestant couple that uses the method as well....Unplanned pregnancies for them: 0.

To say that there is no way for anyone to accurately predict their ovulation is a crock of bull....I may not have a 28 day cycle, but I do know when I'm about to have it. It's medically proven (I believe) that during a certain time during the cycle that a woman ovulates, and it happens around the same time each cycle.

The reason that this individual says these things is because they're too lazy to search for the truth. So...don't feel too bad....I had a pysch teacher that didn't even know what a Punnet Square was.

Don't give up on your search for love. My husband and I have only given ourselves to each other. I gave my first to him, and his first to me.

They're out there, just pray and believe. God will give you strength and show you the way.

(Ok...now this is where I step down from my soapbox. Never despair, God is only a prayer away!)