An Old School Catholic Message Board

Shawn Hannity

RezaMikhaeil

From what I'd heard Shawn Hannity claims to be a Roman Catholic but how does that affect his political views? From what I understand his stances [several of them] highly contradict what the Roman Church stands for [such as his pro-execution stance], so how does that work in regards to his interaction with the church? Is he forbid from taking the Eucharist or how does that work?

Reza

Hannity is a neoconservative Catholic. He is theologically orthodox as long as the Magisterium does not conflict with the neoconservative political agenda; if it does, he chooses Caesar over Christ.

George Weigel and Richard John Neuhaus are similiar. 90% of the time their writings are totally orthodox and reverent of the Church, but the minute the Church is critical of the actions of America or Israel (merely reinforcing the Magisterium) it's "Ah, what do they know?"

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Hannity"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Hannity[/url]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_John_Neuhaus"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_John_Neuhaus[/url]

Wiki does have its uses :)

You will find I have posted many wonderful articles by Father Neuhaus.

I'm sure you have -- Father Neuhaus has written many wonderful articles. But I have read enough from his pen (and know enough about him personally) to know which side his bread is really buttered on when push comes to shove.

Edited by Nathan

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Nathan, you are exactly right.

Hannity is uncompromisingly pro-war, pro-israel etc. He is basically the definition of a neo-conservative.

See I understand his political agenda, but what I'm asking is how do Romans deal with such an individual? Do they ever reject him the Eucharist [since he doesn't repent of things that are blatantly against the church], etc?

Reza

Knight of the Holy Rosary

As someone who often listens to Sean Hannity, I find his obedience to the Church questionable.

I've heard him:

1.) Contradict the Church directly on the War in Iraq.

2.) When the Bishops declared refusal of Communion to Pro-Death politicians, he said something to the effect of 'Well if they did that to everyone, nobody would be in Church!' (paraphrase).

[quote]....but the minute the Church is critical of the actions of America or Israel (merely reinforcing the Magisterium) it's "Ah, what do they know?"[/quote]

Bingo.

Iv'e never heard that stuff about Fr. Neuhous though..... Can you give me a source?

Hannity is in little danger of being excommunicated.

The Holy See tends to be a lot softer on those who dissent from the right (politically) than on those who dissent from the left. It is probably because liberal dissent is far more categorizable and easier to spot; it is the usual suspect.

[quote name='Knight of the Holy Rosary' post='1178935' date='Jan 28 2007, 09:58 PM']Iv'e never heard that stuff about Fr. Neuhous though..... Can you give me a source?
[/quote]

The "Catholic Neocons" section on the [i]New Oxford Review[/i] website is a good start.

[url="http://www.newoxfordreview.org/dossier.jsp?did=dossier-neocon"]http://www.newoxfordreview.org/dossier.jsp...=dossier-neocon[/url]

From EWTN:

[quote]Disagreement with the Pope

Question from on 05-18-2004:
In certain cases, are Catholics at liberty to disagree with the Pope? For example, the Pope was against the war in Iraq. As a Catholic, am I at liberty to decide for myself if I think the war was a just war, or should I be obedient to the Pope and support his decision?

Answer by Fr. Stephen F. Torraco on 05-18-2004:
There is a distinction to be made between a doctrinal teaching of the Church and a prudential judgment. Doctrinal teaching is binding upon conscience, while the prudential judgment of a Church official is not. According to the Church's doctrinal teaching, war can be morally justifiable if certain criteria are met. According to the same doctrinal teaching, it is the responsibility of the legitimate temporal government, and not of the Church, to determine whether a specific war meets such criteria. This determination is a matter of prudential judgment rather than of doctrinal teaching. This means that Catholics can disagree about whether a specific war is morally justifiable, but must accept the doctrinal teaching that it is the responsibility of the legitimate temporal government to make its best prudential judgment about the matter, even if Catholics disagree with the government's prudential judgment. But this also means that Catholics can disagree with any Church official's prudential judgment. [/quote]

The above is all very true and important to realize. But Iraq is just one piece to the puzzle of the neoconservative movement. I believe that in due time, when its fruits have been more firmly established and clearly seen, the Church will officially condemn it as being fundamentally at odds with the Gospel. The Church just hasn't caught up with it yet.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='Nathan' post='1178943' date='Jan 28 2007, 10:22 PM']
The above is all very true and important to realize. But Iraq is just one piece to the puzzle of the neoconservative movement. I believe that in due time, when its fruits have been more firmly established and clearly seen, the Church will officially condemn it as being fundamentally at odds with the Gospel. The Church just hasn't caught up with it yet.
[/quote]

:bigclap:

i think a lot of Neo-cons subscribe to the Americanist heresy. Im not sure this aspect of it has been explicitly condemned, but what i see in a lot of neo-conservatives (as Nathan described above) is that they put America before their faith. they put the Enlightenment thinking and their "freedoms", and their opinion about how great America is, above Catholicism.

KnightofChrist

He has also stated he is for abortion or will allow for abortion is some case "rape or incest." And has also stated something along the lines when voting for a person that is proabortion not to be a "one issue" voter, and not to die on that hill.