An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Or Franciscan

AccountDeleted

[quote name='nunsense' post='1186991' date='Feb 6 2007, 08:19 PM']
I would like to understand the main differences between the contemplative Carmelites and Poor Clare nuns. I like both orders but I think that the Carmelites are more likely to be into study and reading than the Poor Clares, is that right?

Does anyone have a good understanding of how the Carmelite and Franciscan ways are the same and how they differ? I have also been looking at contemplative Benedictines and Visitation as well, but the Carmelites and Poor Clares are my favorites..... thanks for any help.
[/quote]
-
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Br. Bugnolo says it better than i could
[url="http://www.franciscan-archive.org/franciscana/franvoc.html"]http://www.franciscan-archive.org/franciscana/franvoc.html[/url]

AccountDeleted

[quote name='EJames' post='1193275' date='Feb 12 2007, 11:18 PM']
-
Glory to Jesus Christ!
Br. Bugnolo says it better than i could
[url="http://www.franciscan-archive.org/franciscana/franvoc.html"]http://www.franciscan-archive.org/franciscana/franvoc.html[/url]
[/quote]

Actually, I read it but it seemed to be a lot about the Franciscans and not how they are different from other orders since they all have the vows that he describes.

And I wasn't comparing orders so much as asking how they differ in day to day community life and charism. That article didn't say it in a way I could really understand - but thank you for trying.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1193091' date='Feb 12 2007, 10:35 PM']
Study is important in Dominican life, particularly for the teaching communities of course. It's important in the Dominican contemplative life as well, but is not emphasized overmuch - just a healthy amount of study and reading to exercise the spiritual life and encourage meditation. At least, that has been my observation.

The Benedictines seem to be big on study and reading, too.
[/quote] Yeah, this is how the Srs of Bethlehem and Carthusian Nuns are too. They have a time set apart for a healthy amount of study and reading for their theological formation and to help their spiritual life and encourage meditation. The foundress of the Srs of Bethlehem was a contemplative Dominican, so they share their charism a bit, and well as the charism of the Carthusians, who also have this time for study and reading, which I do rather like .. :book: ...:sign:

Guest eight_days_after

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1187920' date='Feb 7 2007, 08:53 PM']
Another great Poor Clare saint - St. Catherine of Bologna - [url="http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintc26.htm"]http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintc26.htm[/url] Her body is incorrupt and seated upright. I heard and read that this was a testimony of her obedience and of the power of obedience. I believe she had been kneeling in choir, and the Mother Superior told her to sit. Then she died seated! I will have to look this up again to be sure! This is an actual picture of her on this website though! You can go to Bologna & see her like this!
[/quote]

um... I dont know where you heard this, but I dont think its true.... i know she is incorruptible, and she has been seated upright for more than five-hundred years, but she did not die sitting down. *goes and gets books*

alright... this information is affirmed by three different soarces....
1) [i]The Encyclopedia of Saints[/i]
2) [i]The Incorruptibles[/i] - Joan Carroll Cruz
3) [i]Visionaries, Mystics and Stigmatists Down Through the Ages[/i] - Bob and Penny Lord

St. Catherine of Bologna died March 9th 1463, her fiftieth birthday... each soarce says that she died of a "raging fever", and some indicate that she had been ill for months, but kept on pushing herself. She was the Abbess of the Poor Clares in Bologna at the time, and gave fulfilling that duty everything she had. She was buried "within hours without a coffin", as was the tradition.

[quote]Her body was exhumed 18 days later because of the sweet scent coming from her grave and the miraculous cures claimed by those who visited it. Her body was found to be incorrupt and bathed in sweat. While sisters cleaned it, a pleasant perfume wafted from it.[/quote] (encyclopedia)

the soarces also say that each time they tried to rebury the body, a "mysterious force" pushed them back to the Choir area. because so many people wanted to venerate the Saint, four nuns would carry her body to the parlor for 12 years.... (rigor mortis never set in)

eventually, ....
[quote]It was only when the Abbess ordered her, did Catherine, out of obedience, sit unaided in the chair and in the same position she can be found to this day.[/quote] (VMS)

I hope this clarifies things... I love learning about the Saints... especially the St. Catherine's

May you walk eternally in God's footsteps!! =D

[quote]It was only when the Abbess ordered her, did Catherine, out of obedience, sit unaided in the chair and in the same position she can be found to this day.
(VMS)[/quote]

It was something like this that I heard. I heard it from a Franciscan priest from Italy that went there. So wait, does this mean that St. Catherine's body sat up in obedience to the Abbess, after she had been dead for some years? (not dead, more alive in Heaven, but her body) Whoa! That's pretty awesome.

This priest also told me that some people when they go there, see her eyes open, while others at the same time, might see them closed - and really obviously open. It's like she looking out for certain people, or something .. :saint:

Guest eight_days_after

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1194455' date='Feb 13 2007, 11:53 PM']
It was something like this that I heard. I heard it from a Franciscan priest from Italy that went there. So wait, does this mean that St. Catherine's body sat up in obedience to the Abbess, after she had been dead for some years? (not dead, more alive in Heaven, but her body) Whoa! That's pretty awesome.
[/quote]

Well... the book said that after 12 years of carrying her back and forth, the nuns realized that it would be easier if she would sit in a chair... but since rigor mortis had not set in, her body would not stay in any position. Then the abbess told her to sit, and her body stiffened into the position it can be seen today.

I have heard that too.. that sometimes her eyes open and close... Its so amazing!

May you walk eternally in God's footsteps!! :D:

[quote name='eight_days_after' post='1195231' date='Feb 14 2007, 03:43 PM']
Well... the book said that after 12 years of carrying her back and forth, the nuns realized that it would be easier if she would sit in a chair... but since rigor mortis had not set in, her body would not stay in any position. Then the abbess told her to sit, and her body stiffened into the position it can be seen today.

I have heard that too.. that sometimes her eyes open and close... Its so amazing!

May you walk eternally in God's footsteps!! :D:
[/quote]

Wow... :o