An Old School Catholic Message Board

Promises To Those Who Recite The Rosary

Ellenita

So the predestination, which in itself is a difficult concept to grasp given the notion of 'free will', relates to obtaining a glimpse of what true salvation is...and praying the rosary one means of revealing that if God so chooses to reveal it?

I wondered if the predestination in this promise related to a 'knowing' who would show devotion to praying the rosary rather than 'knowing' who is saved.

Dave and Christopher, thank you for reminding me of the other promises - it was most timely!

Bruce, praying the rosary is completely alien to my protestant background and I was somewhat reluctant to do so at first. However it is most beautiful to meditate on the Mysteries and without a doubt I have drawn closer to God and an understanding of what Jesus has done for me as result of it......

Bruce, you said

Works > Increased chance of salvation < not biblical

Jesus said (Mat. 25)

31 But when the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit on the throne of his glory:

32 and before him shall be gathered all the nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats;

33 and he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 for I was hungry, and ye gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in;

36 naked, and ye clothed me; I was sick, and ye visited me; I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or athirst, and gave thee drink?

38 And when saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 And when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, even these least, ye did it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 for I was hungry, and ye did not give me to eat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink;

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in; naked, and ye clothed me not; sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not unto one of these least, ye did it not unto me.

46 And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life.

Looks like works can improve our chance at salvation.

My "relationship" with Mary, is EXACTLY the "relationship" I have with every other person mentioned in Acts.

They all had a role, they fulfilled it, they were dutiful in what God ordained for them.

Is that honestly how you view Mary? The Apostles and disciples? My computer is dutiful in what I ordain it (most of the time at least. Stupid machine). We aren't machines Bruce.

I honor those who were stalwart hero's in the faith. As much as you do.
doubtful

not with the glorious - DEAD NOW - Saints
Our God is a God of the Living, not of the dead. The saints are not dead. They are alive in heaven.

hyperdulia again

Kilroy, without beating an already dead horse further...Perhaps we are using twwo different definitions of Marian Devotion, for the one I'm using, the things you named qualify as Marian Devotion.

Don John of Austria

Kilroy, without beating an already dead horse further...Perhaps we are using twwo different definitions of Marian Devotion, for the one I'm using, the things you named qualify as Marian Devotion.

Devotion, in the language of ascetical writers, denotes a certain ardour of affection in the things of God, and even without any qualifying prefix it generally implies that this ardour is of a sensible character. On the other hand, by the term "devotions" in the plural, or "popular devotions", we commonly understand those external practices of piety by which the devotion of the faithful finds life and expression.

This is from the Catholic Encyclopedia, devotion is an external act of piety, You do not have to make any external acts of piety regarding mary to be a good Catholic, one could be an exemplary Cathollic and never say a Hail mary, or a Hail Holy Queen or even touch a rosary, external pius acts in regard to Mary are not needed to be a member of the Church in good standing. Now on the other hand you must acknowledge her Imaculate Conception and her assumption, youmust recognize her as the Mother of God. But you never need offer her any veneration in an external manner.

During those days Mary set out and traveled to the hill country in haste to a town of Judah,

where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth.

When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit,

cried out in a loud voice and said, "Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. 43

And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord 14 should come to me?

For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy.

Blessed are you who believed 15 that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled."

And Mary said: 16 "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;

my spirit rejoices in God my savior.

For he has looked upon his handmaid's lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed.

Why would God meant to have this in his book. Mary is to be elevated Bruce, Come back to the true Gospel.