An Old School Catholic Message Board

Personal Question

let_go_let_God

let_go_let_God

Hey Pham,

I have a quick question. February 21st is Ash Wednesday as most of you know but it's also my 21st birthday. I would like to celebrate with my friends but I also want to be in accordance to what the church asks about fasting and abstaining.

I have heard that I shouldn't celebrate and I have also heard that I should treat my birthday as a feast day and celebrate.

I was wondering what do other pham members do about Lenten birthdays?

God bless and thanks in advance-
LGLG

Thy Geekdom Come

As much as it seems to be a bummer, I don't think that a birthday overrules the fasting and abstinence of the day. I'd offer it up as a sacrifice and celebrate the next day.

there is something to be said for celebrating all birthdays in lent on the nearest sunday. that's what I would suggest... wait until the following sunday. since it's the beginning of lent, there'd be no reason to do it on the preceding sunday. the two options I would suggest would be either the tuesday before or the sunday after; but if it was deeper into lent I would suggest either the previous or following sunday.

I remember talking to someone.. that told me the priest gave her permission to break her Lenten commitments for her Birthday. (she gave up chocolate I think)

Edited by Tony

let_go_let_God

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1195605' date='Feb 14 2007, 10:13 PM']
I think the kind of celebrating she's thinking of would not allow for her to move it ahead of her 21st birthday.
[/quote]
:P: :blink: :topsy: :P: :cool:

LOL

I'm not saying that I'm going to drink my brains out for my birthday but I would like to go out with a few friends for dinner and a beverage at least. I just was wondering for some input. I don't really want to be the stereotypical college student.

God bless-
LGLG

cathoholic_anonymous

My birthday is on March 12th, which means that it is going to fall in Lent for the next thirty years or so. Pah. This year it falls conveniently on a Monday, so I will just celebrate the day before.

homeschoolmom

So, my daughter asked me when her birthday falls on Easter. We googled and found it will... in 2051.

In 2010, her birthday will be on Good Friday.

let_go_let_God

Well I looked it up and this is the last year my birthday should be on Ash Wednesday at least through the year 2050 and if days do rotate on a 100 year cycle it won't be again until 2096 so if I plan on living though 110 well yay. Maybe thinking of it like this, I should just keep my plans of fasting and abstaining and just put off the birthday for a while.

Thanks again pham

God bless-
LGLG