An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm An Absolutely Hopeless Optimist

Aloysius

I really cannot help myself; no matter how much all hopes have been disappointed in the past; no matter how many times I hold my breath in waiting and nothing ever happens... I can't stop believing.

The latest rumor: February 22, the Feast of the Chair of St. Peter: The Tridentine Mass will be definitively defined as able to be said freely as a private mass by any Roman Rite priest anywhere at any time (except good friday when there are never any masses... boy that was a superfluous point to make!) and, according to the rumors about the motu proprio, any group of 30 or more faithful who petition their bishop for an indult for a public mass will not be allowed to be denied their petition; the Ecclesia Dei commission being given more power such that any bishop who disobeys and rejects a petition of 30 or more Catholics for an indult can have his hand forced by the commission (I know in the diocese where I go to college there were hundreds who petitioned the bishop for an indult and were quite unjustly denied)

And yes, despite all previous evidence: I will be holding my breath in anticipation until either the motu proprio is published or I pass out cold.

Who's with me?

It is now 11:13 pm on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 in the Eternal City. may the last sun have set on the days of the supression of the traditional rite!

hey, it's 1 am on the Feast of the Chair of Peter in Rome and still no indult? come on!

lol... okay... so what time do they usually publish important documents at the vatican? is there a specific time that we should feel all our hopes and dreams crushed? I imagine they wouldn't wait until... say.. late afternoon or evening to do something like that.

:woot:

We are waiting (and have been waiting) for an indult from the Pope, granting greater freedom for priests to celebrate the Tridentine Rite, the way the Mass used to be celebrated before Vatican II. There have been about eleventy million rumors about the date of the indult's release, this is just the latest...

From what I hear from the people at my indult the universal indult wil come out this summer... but I'm not holding my breath for either the one supposed to come out tommrow or the one supposed to come out this summer... I'll believe it when I see it. I remember how it was supposed to happen last March 25th. and did it happen? no.

philosophette

I am not big on the Tridentine Mass, but I am all for letting people attend it if they wish and not restricting the right of priests to celebrate it... plus... the vestments are way cool. ;)
So I hope this comes out soon...

Edited by philosobrat