An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesus's Bones

TruthSeeker777

MissScripture

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1206388' date='Mar 1 2007, 04:24 PM']Jesus was fully human AND fully God at all times.[/quote]
I know that, but what he was saying was that Jesus could speak any language. But if Jesus were fully human, he wouldn't automatically be able to do everything. He still had to go through learning stages and development. That would include learning of languages.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1206391' date='Mar 1 2007, 05:27 PM']I know that, but what he was saying was that Jesus could speak any language. But if Jesus were fully human, he wouldn't automatically be able to do everything. He still had to go through learning stages and development. That would include learning of languages.[/quote]
Yes but as God, He still had access to all knowledge, and if necessary could use it. Divinity might be submerged so the boy could learn, but would always have been available. How do you think he confounded the scribes in the temple at age 12?

toledo_jesus

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1206391' date='Mar 1 2007, 07:27 PM']I know that, but what he was saying was that Jesus could speak any language. But if Jesus were fully human, he wouldn't automatically be able to do everything. He still had to go through learning stages and development. That would include learning of languages.[/quote]
plus there is the instance of the speaking in tongues experienced by the apostles...
To say He could doesn't say that He did. He could have turned the rock to bread in the desert like a certain someone tempted Him to do...but He didn't. Coulda come down off that cross too, but He had chosen to be human and so He followed His own rules.

Edited by toledo_jesus

[quote name='toledo_jesus' post='1206107' date='Mar 1 2007, 12:38 AM']and to this, I look forward.

Then the Democrats will do whatever we say![/quote]

Be ready to become martyrs.

I don't know if I'll ever be strong enough for that, but I do hope I will be ready for whatever is coming.

Things will definately get much worse before they get any better.

[quote name='Urib2007' post='1206383' date='Mar 1 2007, 05:18 PM']Jesus and his Jewish peers spoke Aramaic, not Hebrew. What I learned, Hebrew was a language learned by the upper class Jews. The lower class masses usually learned Hebrew, so that they can understand the Torah.
If you read Luke 4:16-19, you'll notice that Jesus had gone to the synagogue on the Sabbath day and read a section of Isaiah. It's close to certain that the scroll was written in Hebrew, not Aramaic.

Plus, when Jesus' spoke theology with the scribes and Pharisees, He would do it in Hebrew. All in all, I'm 100% certain Jesus could speak any language in the world.[/quote]

The question is not if Jesus knew the language or not, it is how was he referred to by those closest to Him, and what language did they commonly speak between each other.

Now there is no doubt He could speak Hebrew, but amongst the 12 who were mostly commoners, I suspect Aramaic would be the default and logical value here.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1206391' date='Mar 1 2007, 05:27 PM']I know that, but what he was saying was that Jesus could speak any language. But if Jesus were fully human, he wouldn't automatically be able to do everything. He still had to go through learning stages and development. That would include learning of languages.[/quote]
This same argument could be used against any of Jesus' miracles, though.
Christ's miracles are simply maifestations of Christ's divine nature, which would be impossible if He were merely human.
Speaking and understanding unfamiliar languages would be no more impossible than any of His miracles.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Didacus' post='1206507' date='Mar 1 2007, 09:33 PM']Be ready to become martyrs.

I don't know if I'll ever be strong enough for that, but I do hope I will be ready for whatever is coming.

Things will definately get much worse before they get any better.[/quote]
not in our lifetime. Martyrdom? I don't know about that. I think withdrawal from society to regroup would be a good tactic. Then we come back when people shape up.

Archaeology cat

Yeah, I was reading about this the other day. First off he only examined 6 of the 10 ossuaries (only the 6 that fit his idea, when in archaeology you form your theories after examining everything). And they weren't all written in Aramaic; if I remember correctly, it had the name that was supposed to be Mary Magdalene (Mariamne) in Greek, and I think it had another name in Latin. I'll have to double-check. Anyway, doing DNA testing to prove something like this is quite silly. We have no DNA of Jesus, so there would be nothing to check, and of course we know He has ascended into Heaven. I also found it humorous that he said the DNA from Yeshua and the DNA from Mariamne showed they were not maternally related (he only checked mitachondrial DNA) and that they were therefore married. So I guess if I were buried with my younger brother and they tested our mitachondrial DNA he was say we were married, because we aren't related (he was adopted). At least the archaeologist who dug the site is vehemently opposed to what James Cameron is doing.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1205990' date='Feb 28 2007, 08:35 PM']Other than the very common names, which are likely mistranslations theres no "proof." Cameron is in it for the money and fame. Even with every respected archaeologist greatly disagreeing with him, he choses to stand on the sand, and he will sink.[/quote]

I think Mr. Cameron has achieved this fame and fortune through the large catalogue of his past directional achievements. If he was looking to resurrect his noteriety, he could have easily produced another motion picture. I believe that you will have to surmise another reason for his interest in bringing this material to the surface.
[quote]KnightofChrist writes: Christ soul and body are in heaven. Cameron should be looking up for Christ, not in the dirt.[/quote]
There seem to be a prepositional misunderstanding here. If it is a Christ that one is anticipating, it is important for one to look within. The only thing anyone is going to achieve by continulously looking up is neck pain.

Edited by carrdero