An Old School Catholic Message Board

If God Didn't Exist

dairygirl4u2c

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cathoholic_anonymous

I don't understand what you're asking. "If God didn't exist...?" What's the question?

If God for sure didn't exist I'd try to be a decent person. I can't say I'd go for perfect because I don't really do that now. For society to work we have to be somewhat decent people or we'd just implode. If I was God I'd want people to be decent whether I existed or not. I wouldn't want them to only be good because they thought they'd get a prize at the end. I would want them to be decent because it is the best for them.

If you're asking if I would be good/work toward perfection without the promise of punishment/reward ... I don't know.

I would like to think that I would ... but realistically, my ideals of good/evil and perfection are based in large part on my conceptions of God and his relationship to me. Without that standard, how would you determine what "perfection" is? I think, though, that without God there is no way I would be able to love ... I only am able to love because of His love for me. If love is in any way related to perfection (and I think it is) then it would be impossible to love without God taking the first step.

Thy Geekdom Come

If God didn't exist, then the point of life would be reduced to secular humanist utilitarianism. So, I suppose the question is: if God didn't exist, would you try to be good in order to fulfill your duty to the social construct around you? Of course, if God didn't exist, there would be no objective good and no obligation to do good. Of course, if God didn't exist, there simply wouldn't be.

i'm not sure. I think i would probably be about the same. There are many good people in the world who dont believe in God.

Such small minded answers. She's asking if you did not have a fear of final judgement, would you try to be perfect? Altruism isn't a condition of monotheism.

What religion is dairy girl?

Anyone figure it out yet?

BTW atheists try to be 'perfect" usually according to the PC liberal code, with a few exceptions.

I'd rather not imagine my life without God, because I have God, and He rocks, and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Guest JeffCR07

Any Anselmian, or any philosopher who considers the Ontological Argument sound, would answer this question by saying that it is unanswerable. This is true because we don't really understand the phrase "If God didn't exist..." Such a saying is unthinkable in the same way that the saying "If a square could be round..." is unthinkable. We could never answer the question "if a square could be round, what would geometry be like?" precisely because it is impossible to imagine such a scenario. By definition, a square cannot be round, and so we cannot imagine a square ever being round. In the same way, the Anselmian or anyone holding to the Ontological Argument (myself included) would say that by definition, God cannot [i]not[/i] exist, and so we can't even conceive of what your question actually means.