An Old School Catholic Message Board

Going To A Protestant "praise" Gathering?

N/A Gone

ok, my dear older brother in the faith isnt online. SO I submit to the council of you

1.) if you are the rad-trad anti-proto type dont bother responding. Sorry Mr. More. I just dont wanna hear it right now.

I was invited to a protestant praise gathering thing. Basically just cooporately singing their songs, I used to love protestant music but I understand it not to be "worship" so do I go or not. and why does it feel funny both ways? Why "shouldnt" I go?

helkp soon

Since they consider it worshipping, I would advise you not to go. Pray to go instead during that time or attend the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1207051' date='Mar 2 2007, 08:27 PM']Since they consider it worshipping, I would advise you not to go. Pray to go instead during that time or attend the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.[/quote]

They dont define worship the same way we do, and they are actually calling it praise.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1207052' date='Mar 2 2007, 08:30 PM']Who is your older brother in the faith? :huh:[/quote]

If I wanted you to know I would tell....but you should know, really. You should know. PM a guess if you wanna try

The thing is, I loved protestant music and the emotional high from it when I was an evangelical. I just worry that I will get sucked into that again. I miss that in its context.

The bottom line, in my mind, is that this is a Protestant worship service (a "praise" gathering is just a different kind of worship service). As such I would strongly advise against your attending, as I would any Catholic. Taking part would signify that you condone a heretical form of the Christian faith.

Birgitta Noel

I don't see why it's heretical to praise God with other Christians, just like it wouldn't be wrong to read the bible with them.

:unsure:

thessalonian

If it is of no danger to your faith and the purpose in asking you was not to try and win you back to Protestantism, you could go. Such things are not forbidden by the Church in the current ecumenical climate. However you must be careful not to sing songs that don't agree with Catholic teaching.

[quote name='The Little Way' post='1207155' date='Mar 2 2007, 10:56 PM']I don't see why it's heretical to praise God with other Christians, just like it wouldn't be wrong to read the bible with them.

:unsure:[/quote]

It would be wrong to read a protestant bible:

[quote name='TheCatechism of Pope St. Pius X']32 Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?
A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest.

33 Q. Why does the Church forbid Protestant Bibles?
A. The Church forbids Protestant Bibles because, either they have been altered and contain errors, or not having her approbation and footnotes explaining the obscure meanings, they may be harmful to the Faith. It is for that same reason that the Church even forbids translations of the Holy Scriptures already approved by her which have been reprinted without the footnotes approved by her.[/quote]

I was invited by a prod friend to go to his Youth group on a Friday night. I said I would go sometime but I'm just sorta thinking... what if they start bible thumping? I'm not all into walking into the bees nest unless I know how to fend them off. I planned to go to this youth group with a friend though. Going 2 by 2 is good because we can call on each other if one of us acts untrue to the faith or needs backing up in apologetics.

Edited by Sacred Music Man

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1207057' date='Mar 2 2007, 06:53 PM']The thing is, I loved protestant music and the emotional high from it when I was an evangelical. I just worry that I will get sucked into that again.[/quote]

I would read that sentence you wrote. again. you have your answer.

Explain please sir?

Its like visiting an ex gf, and the relationship was great, but you moved on. It just feels weird even being friends.

My "older brother" would say Im an emo-brat. but so be it.

Would you consider inviting them to Mass or a celebration of th Liturgy of the Hours? You may be an agent of conversion and bring someone into the faith, or at the very least dispel some misconceptions about Catholic worship. Protestants are good at evangelizing - we could learn from their example of simple invitation.

The couple that invited me I knew before I converted. The Husband was part of something called "the fantastic four" which was a group of theology students that got waaaaaaay to much hype before any of us earned it (Ironically two of us became catholic) he knows how passionate I was about music before

I have actually gone to mass with him before. a couple times.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1208263' date='Mar 4 2007, 08:37 PM']Explain please sir?
Its like visiting an ex gf, and the relationship was great, but you moved on. It just feels weird even being friends.
My "older brother" would say Im an emo-brat. but so be it.[/quote]

allow me to go in reverse order.

1) I have no idea what emo is. I am too old. LOL

2) Understand. now turn to your wife and tell her you are going to have dinner with your ex-gf. Tell her it was a great relationship, but you moved on. I think they might be some not-so-positive-vibes floating around. And i think that is natural.

3) now for my explanation. I think the fact that you feel the need to ask the question might help to give you an insight into HOW you actually feel about the situation. Now be warned, i am no theologian, no great mind, no nothing, but sometimes things just seem more obvious to me than other things... you also readily admit you worry about being sucked back in. again, courageous of you to admit, but perhaps you should ask yourself [b]why[/b] you worry. only you can answer that

Now i mean no disrepect to any of your friends, but i have had and still do have issues with the darker forces, let us say. They are tricky. They are supremely cerebreal. They will not argue doing something wrong is OK... they will argue that it is not REALLY wrong. They will play to your confidences and vanities.. you are strong enough, it is just songs.. what is wrong with that...

Not to freak you out, but that is how i see it. i would not go.