An Old School Catholic Message Board

Going To A Protestant "praise" Gathering?

N/A Gone

You rock sir. Thank you,

theologically I see nothing wrong with it, as all ecumenical proto/catholic things are it is all about the strength of the soldier when doing it. Perhaps due to my connection with that before? I never like the wife/whore analogy some trads use. But it fits here very well. Thank you sir

Emo means emotional, im a whiner

I agree with much of what the guy from Cali says ... but I would say that you should consider going, for the following reasons. Of course it might not matter at this point b/c it may be too late ... but for future consideration:

I've been there. For more than a year I purposefully didn't go back to the church I was in just before becoming Catholic because I didn't want to get sucked back in. I loved it ... loved the worship style, the music, the people, etc. And I have to say that for a loooooonng time there was still a bit of an attraction there. It waned the farther away from it I got, but every so often I would get all nostalgic for the "good old days."

BUT the couple of times I've gone to services after that year have only confirmed for me that I made the right choice, and it helped to defuse the attraction and lingering nostalgia I felt. Now that I've been Catholic for a while ... I miss the substance of the Mass when I go to a Protestant service. It feels empty. The emotional high is not enough, because I have had SO much more, and I leave feeling like I've missed out on something. Because I have.

So, you know, maybe hanging out with the old girlfriend for a bit will help to confirm for you why she was not the one, and remind you of all the reasons that things didn't progress there, and you ultimately married someone else. Sometimes it is good to revisit an old relationship with new eyes.

You could set up a praise and worship session with Catholic friends, too. It happens all the time here at FUS. All you need is yourselves, but guitars, knowledge of the lyrics and notes, and a sacramental like a crucifix help.

that assumes I have catholic friends here...

Just protos

my only catholic friends are here. the phamily

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1208639' date='Mar 5 2007, 09:10 PM']BUT the couple of times I've gone to services after that year have only confirmed for me that I made the right choice, and it helped to defuse the attraction and lingering nostalgia I felt. Now that I've been Catholic for a while ... I miss the substance of the Mass when I go to a Protestant service. It feels empty. The emotional high is not enough, because I have had SO much more, and I leave feeling like I've missed out on something. Because I have.[/quote]

Amen. That's exactly how I feel. I love the music at my parents' church, but they don't have the Real Presence, and it just feels so, well empty is the only word I have for it.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1208971' date='Mar 5 2007, 10:40 PM']that assumes I have catholic friends here...

Just protos

my only catholic friends are here. the phamily[/quote]
If you ever decide to come up to the Twin Cities, you can sing praise songs with me. I know a few. :D:

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1209105' date='Mar 6 2007, 11:43 AM']Amen. That's exactly how I feel. I love the music at my parents' church, but they don't have the Real Presence, and it just feels so, well empty is the only word I have for it.[/quote]
Yes. It is weird, too, because at one point, the music was SO important. Now, I feel more fulfilled at a daily Mass with no music than I ever did at a praise and worship service. Now all that stuff seems like so much window dressing ... I would rather have the real thing any day than the emotional roller coaster.

WHat are you doing in the cities?

As a protestant I was really into the music, I would have hours where I would put on a cd and just die to myself. Brokeness and reflection and all that. The music does that to me, where I cant just sing it, but I learn to experience from it. Thats what Im scared of getting sucked into; it is very different than what I feel it should be. It is a different experience then what I feel.

St T is a great school, I considered the CSMA program (i have a dear friend there) but decided on the FUS distance program

• 2 weeks later...
theculturewarrior

If it challenges your faith, stay away. Otherwise, if you want to go, go. I find that I feel more comfortable at evangelical services when I am quietly saying Hail Mary's for the congregation.

That is exactly what I do at our chapel. Im still forced to go to chapel for my school, but I usually just bring a book with.

I would not go to a Protestant service because I would be bored to death, but as long as you do nothing contrary to the faith it is okay to attend.

God bless,
Todd

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1208971' date='Mar 6 2007, 01:40 AM']that assumes I have catholic friends here...

Just protos

my only catholic friends are here. the phamily[/quote]
Not nice
What I had been thinking is that, though I like P&W music, I sing it with Catholic friends... for some reason I don't think I'd be comfortable singing it with a bunch of prots.
Is there anything going on in your diocese that you can get involved with? Diocesan WYD is coming up, for instance...

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1214540' date='Mar 16 2007, 09:48 AM']I would not go to a Protestant service because I would be bored to death, but as long as you do nothing contrary to the faith it is okay to attend.

God bless,
Todd[/quote]

Yeah, compared to the beautiful Divine Liturgy, a Protestant service probably would be extremely boring (I've never attended a Protestant service but I have attended many Eastern Divine Liturgies)