An Old School Catholic Message Board

"communal" Confession

curtins

I'm reading through this rel ed book teachers mannual that im supposed to be using for CCD and its talking about the sacrament of Reconciliation being celebrated 'communal' .............. sounds like general absolution to me- isnt that illicit except in emergency????

thoughts???
ideas?
tacos, so very tasty and good for you,?

Are they perhaps speaking of a penance service? Otherwise your description does sound like general absolution. :idontknow:

cmotherofpirl

you can have a communal part with a reading, song and prayers, then people go to individual confession at the end.

would general absolution be for people who are about to die? and extreme cases where they don't have the time to list everything to a priest?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='got2luvjc' post='1207521' date='Mar 3 2007, 10:45 PM']would general absolution be for people who are about to die? and extreme cases where they don't have the time to list everything to a priest?[/quote]
I have only seen general absolution once during the crisis at 3 Mile Island, when they thought Pa would be hit with a reactor meltdown and disaster. We didn't take the news reports seriously until the bishop came on, then we were terrified.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

For somebody about to die, Annointing of the Sick suffices if there is not time for confession. See the Compendium of the Catechism questions 316 and 319.
Scroll down a bit:
[url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html#The%20Sacraments%20of%20Healing"]http://www.vatican.va/archive/compendium_c...%20of%20Healing[/url]

Edited by thedude

[quote name='curtins' post='1207492' date='Mar 3 2007, 08:11 PM']I'm reading through this rel ed book teachers mannual that im supposed to be using for CCD and its talking about the sacrament of Reconciliation being celebrated 'communal' .............. sounds like general absolution to me- isnt that illicit except in emergency????
thoughts???
ideas?
tacos, so very tasty and good for you,?[/quote]

Yep... absolution without confession not only illicit but also invalid unless there is an emergency. The confession of one's sins to the priest is the matter of Confession along with Contrition.

[quote name='Oecumenicum Concilium Tridentinum']CANON VI.--If any one denieth, either that sacramental confession was instituted, or is necessary to salvation, of divine right; or saith, that the manner of confessing secretly to a priest alone, which the Church hath ever observed from the beginning, and doth observe, is alien from the institution and command of Christ, and is a human invention; let him be anathema.

CANON IV.--If any one denieth, that, for the entire and perfect remission of sins, there are required three acts in the penitent, which are as it were the matter of the sacrament of Penance, to wit, contrition, confession, and satisfaction, which are called the three parts of penance; or saith that there are two parts only of penance, to wit, the terrors with which the conscience is smitten upon being convinced of sin, and the faith, generated by the gospel, or by the absolution, whereby one believes that his sins are forgiven him through Christ; let him be anathema.[/quote]

TOTALLY illicit, unless a bomb is going to blow up the place where the people are. And technically, it is called general absolution, because no one is actually confessing anything.

It [i]is[/i] done though. By Catholic churches. :ohno: It is wrong, but done.

Edited by prose

[quote name='prose' post='1207561' date='Mar 3 2007, 09:24 PM']TOTALLY illicit, unless a bomb is going to blow up the place where the people are. And technically, it is called general absolution, because no one is actually confessing anything.

It [i]is[/i] done though. By Catholic churches. :ohno: It is wrong, but done.[/quote]

Yeah, and it's not only wrong when not done in emergencies, it's invalid too becuase the sacrament lacks matter... I may be incorrect tho. I'd have to see the official documents. They may be valid but only illicit.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I am not sure it ever "works." If you survive in an emergency situation for which you recieved a general absolution, you must go to confession and confess your sins. If you die, you are okay as long as you intended to confess. That is why in a non-emergency situation, general absolution is useless. My response was promted by this reference from the Southern Catholic Register (from the Diocese of Lincoln):
[url="http://dioceseoflincoln.org/purple/confession/index.htm#1"]http://dioceseoflincoln.org/purple/confession/index.htm#1[/url]
and the Compendium of the Catechism, question 311 (scroll down):
[url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html#The%20Sacraments%20of%20Healing"]http://www.vatican.va/archive/compendium_c...%20of%20Healing[/url]

Edited by thedude

i received general absolution once....i was in the hospital and there was a priest there and he gave it to me...yes i could have died IF i wasnt treated in a certain amount of time but.... :idontknow:

Edited by Cardinals Flower

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1207505' date='Mar 3 2007, 10:24 PM']you can have a communal part with a reading, song and prayers, then people go to individual confession at the end.[/quote]

We have those. We call them penance services. They often include an examination of conscience before everyone goes to a priest for confession.

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1207633' date='Mar 4 2007, 01:01 AM']We have those. We call them penance services. They often include an examination of conscience before everyone goes to a priest for confession.[/quote]

Us too, but that certainly doesn't absolve everyone before they go to confession!

I went to a parish penance service before I became Catholic ... it was weird ... instead of only having confession inside a confessional, there were priests all over the building hearing confessions out in the open.