An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Did You Go To College For? What Is Your Job Now?

the_rev

I'm curious as to what some of the elders of Phatmass majored in at college, and what job they hold now.

Thanks.

Edward

I started out pre-med biology, switched to social work, switched back to pre-med with double-major in Spanish, dropped the pre-med, then ended up in communication studies.

I was a newspaper reporter for about 8 years, and am now in law school.

I took my B.A. in psychology with a minor in sociology. I had a goal to be a counselor of some sort. Towards the end of my degree I decided I really love coordinating.

Now I am a youth ministry coordinator at our church :)

I am currently taking my M.Div.

I majored in Busines Admin (concentration in Marketing). I minored in Econ and Psych.

I am currently a Director of Marketing for a promotional products (advertising specialty) supplier.

Have been an RN for many years, education was the old diploma schools. Returned to school 5 years ago and obtained my BSN. Considering going for my masters, but am not sure it would be worth it at this point of my career! Want to teach more.

Dunno if I am an elder, but what they hey...

In high school wanted to study Diagnostics with a focus on infectious disease and genetics. I considered a few basketball scholarships, but nothing happened.

Went into active duty, but got seriously and perm injuried.

Decided to go into ministry and follow in the path of my mentor Dr. Greg Boyd. I started a double major in Pastoral Leadership and Biblical theological Studies. I converted to catholicism as a sophmore and changed the pastoral leadership into general ministry.

I graduate this may with the double major and I pray to participate in the Fransican University Steubenville Distance program for the MA in theology.

As far as the money goes, I own my own business (Let me link to an explaination, rather than explain here.

[url="http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=107376030&blogID=199216501&MyToken=000eb5ed-307b-47ec-afe9-3e1a64a64c00"]http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...e9-3e1a64a64c00[/url]

I want to remain active in ministry, I plan to email every church in my area to see if I can be of service once I graduate in may

Edited by Revprodeji

Lets see.... Majored in English, Minored in Social Sciences as part of the Secondary Teaching Program. Got my State Cert, graduated, subbed ... took a job for the Summer as a Call Center Rep for EDS, and 13 years later I'm a Project Manager for EDS working on the Navy Marine Corp Contract. I went from English to IT. Almost three years ago, I obtained my Masters of Arts in Organizational Management.

Its been a wild ride.

double major in journalism and politics - then a law degree - now in-house counsel for a title insurance company

The reason why I'm asking is I'm thinking of what I want to major in college. Since I will be a seminarian I have to major in Philosophy but can major in another area of my own interest. Below are a few options:

I could major in Catholic Studies. It is a great program looking at how everything in life from english to math to biology and other areas relates to Catholicism. The plus of this program is that I can study in rome for a semester.

Political Science- I really like politics, and with philosophy I could go to law school. But I don't know if I'd really want to be a lawyer if I left seminary.

Economics- Close to Political Science and gives me a better market for jobs.

Business: It seems like everybody majors in business these days, I'd probably do a concentration on administration and leadership.

Communications: I really see myself if I don't become a priest to work for TV news stations or on the radio. I love the news, and really think this might be the option. Since I love politics as well, and majoring in Political Science isn't a smart choice since once you loose your office in politics what do you do then? But with Broadcasting you establish a name for yourself and then people know who you are and then a run for office would be possible.

I'm just looking to see what other people have majored in and what they are doing now. Any advice as to what you think would be good for a future priest or seminary drop out (if it is discerned I don't have a vocation) I'd appreciate it.

Thansk.

Edward

philosophy in itself is quite a full plate. My hat off to you if you double major.

where will you be attending seminary?

let_go_let_God

Yeah, I think I missed your announcement about where you are going. Did you decide on SJV at St. Thomas?

God bless-
LGLG

Yes, I will be studying at the University of St. Thomas and receive formation at St. John Vianney College Seminary.

[url="http://mariandevotion.blogspot.com/2007/02/it-is-unofficial.html"]http://mariandevotion.blogspot.com/2007/02...unofficial.html[/url]

In Christ,

Edward

Groo the Wanderer

Originally went to college for a BS in Computer Science, but most did BBS surfing and Friday night gaming. <_<

Now that I am a network tech support/security engineer, I have gone back to school for a BS in Business Administration in IT degree...2 yrs to go...

Thy Geekdom Come

Wow...we really have some interesting people here. Makes me wonder where I'll be in 10 years.