An Old School Catholic Message Board

God: Old Testament Vs. New Testament

93 Phillies

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='93 Phillies' post='1210082' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:30 PM']So you're saying that hope by definition is dependent on the lack of knowledge as to what will happen in the future? I agree. Why hasn't God wiped any evil people out recently?[/quote]
He may have; He just doesn't announce it anymore. :idontknow:

[quote]About the abortion: of course it isn't her right. No one has the right to kill another human being. I'm not talking about her rights though. Consider this: if she knows she is going to hell and will most likely raise a hell destined child, an abortion would save the child, yes? You can't go to hell if you haven't even been born can you? So she enters a new depth of hell and her baby goes from one of the depths of hell into Heaven. [/quote]I will not answer the question. It's just a very tricky situation for an analogy and can only lead to confusion among those who read this thread. Try to find another analogy.

[quote]What if God knows that a baby in the womb is going to be evil. After all, He is omniscient. If that baby is aborted, will he/she go to hell?[/quote]

If the child is aborted, then the child never became evil (not personally evil, of course...the child did have original sin), so God could not know that the child was going to be evil.

[quote]Interesting about the depths of hell. I'd like to read up on that. Are there also depths of Heaven?[/quote]

I should think so. Jesus said that we would receive the measure we measured out to others, for good or bad.

Anyway, I don't think that I should answer any more questions on hell and all that. It can be a very dangerous topic and not something we should focus on for very long periods of time.

93 Phillies

[quote name='Raphael' post='1210089' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:36 PM']He may have; He just doesn't announce it anymore. :idontknow:[/quote]
I have heard people say that hurricanes and tsunamis were tools of God to kill evil people. I find it very hard to believe that all of those people were evil.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1210089' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:36 PM']I will not answer the question. It's just a very tricky situation for an analogy and can only lead to confusion among those who read this thread. Try to find another analogy.[/quote]
I know why you don't want to answer this. I don't want to give the impression that abortion is [i]ever[/i] a good idea. That is not my intention. But using the logic you used about how children killed by God were saved in the same manner, it makes you think.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1210089' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:36 PM']If the child is aborted, then the child never became evil (not personally evil, of course...the child did have original sin), so God could not know that the child was going to be evil.[/quote]
Good point.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1210089' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:36 PM']I should think so. Jesus said that we would receive the measure we measured out to others, for good or bad.[/quote] This makes sense, but also wouldn't his mean that there is power or rank in heaven? If so, is it still possible to obsess over this power while in Heaven and fall like Lucifer?

[quote name='Raphael' post='1210089' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:36 PM']Anyway, I don't think that I should answer any more questions on hell and all that. It can be a very dangerous topic and not something we should focus on for very long periods of time.[/quote]
I don't mean to obsess over it, but only to understand it. I see your point though.

Edited by 93 Phillies

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='93 Phillies' post='1210095' date='Mar 7 2007, 09:44 PM']This makes sense, but also wouldn't his mean that there is power or rank in heaven? If so, is it still possible to obsess over this power while in Heaven and fall like Lucifer?[/quote]
While some may receive more than others, each will be 100% filled with grace. Therefore, they will not grow jealous, because each will be completely content.

I hesitate to answer much more because it gets into speculative theology.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='93 Phillies' post='1210136' date='Mar 7 2007, 10:22 PM']Do you believe that a person from any faith can go to Heaven?[/quote]

CCC 1260 -"'Since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact called to one and the same destiny, which is divine, we must hold that the Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partakers, in a way known to God, of the Paschal mystery.' Every man who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ and of his Church, but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it, can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired Baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity."

93 Phillies

I fully agree with that. Not because I read it somewhere, but because otherwise I feel it would be unjust. I have a friend who is a fundamental Christian that believes otherwise. We have had some very long debates regarding this issue.

Birgitta Noel

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1210073' date='Mar 7 2007, 08:24 PM']Raphel is so smart. I bet he would do awesome in a masters program.[/quote]

I concur :unsure: :rolleyes: