An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why I Am Catholic

siebersusi

.... really... how about some productive debate than just spouting your opinion

Got Spirit?

Gal. 5:22

In contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness,

23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

24 Now those who belong to Christ (Jesus) have crucified their flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also follow the Spirit.

26 Let us not be conceited, provoking one another, envious of one another.

Your Servant in Christ,

ironmonk

Laudate_Dominum

Hey protestants! How 'bout some play on this thread? I spent a good while on my posts and would hate for them to go unnoticed.

Peace protestant brothers.

Laudate_Dominum

A good, honest protestant once said:

"The keeper of the keys has authority within the house as administrator and teacher (cf. Isa. 22:20-25, ..). The language of binding and loosing is rabbinic terminology for authoritative teaching, for having authority to interpret the Torah and apply it to particular cases, declaring what is permitted and what is not permitted. Jesus, who has taught with authority (7:29) and has given his authority to his disciples (10:1,8) here gives his primary disciple the authority to teach in his name." - The New Interpreter's Bible. vol. 8, (Nashville, TN: Abington Press, 1995), pg 346.

Why don't the protestants respond to posts that devastate their wild assertions? Circle and Bruce, please critique my posts on this thread and the others (Bruce's Latin thread for example), I've been waiting. It seems like a trend, the protestants make a claim, a Catholic will respond, protestant will ignore the response and within two days be making the same generic claim. What's going on?

Fourth, all Scripture inspired by God and recorded is worthy of belief and study for it will make one complete.

Actually Scripture is profitable for reproof and teaching. But it is the reproof and teaching that makes one "complete". It says nothing of whether or not teaching and reproof is done soley using Scripture. Only that Scripture is good for teaching and reproof.

Just thought I'd point that out.

.... really... how about some productive debate than just spouting your opinion

It's not an opinion. It's a fact. You may not recognize it as true, but that doesn't mean it's false.

Got Spirit?

for a second, i thought that said got sprite?

:ph34r: :ph34r: they're startin to get to me :ph34r: :ph34r:

:lol:

Laudate_Dominum

bump..

I beg the protestants out there to give an intelligent response to my posts on page 1. Sorry one of them is so big, the bottom half can be skimmed (it's just quotes to back up what I was saying in the first half).

Thank you my dear seperated brethren!

Also you should realize that the Pope is not a despotic monarch (Caesaro-Papism was an abuse of the office of the Papacy). The Pope is the first among equals and the local Bishop is the head of his diocese.

Edit by foundsheep:Negative Criticism of Other Religions

- a post or comment that negatively criticizes (as opposed to constructively criticizes) a different religion in a way that is harmful to open ecumenical dialogue.

Can hire, fire, discipline, and even condemn to hell if he chooses.

Ask the Cathars about the way a pope handles those who dissent....

"Slaughter them all [Heretics and Catholics too] let God sort out who are His..."

Dude, Bruce, you don't know what you're talking about.

This is not true. And I appologize on behalf of phatmass for any lurkers who are subjected to this filth.

Bruce, leave this site alone.

You are not constructive. You are repulsive.

There is lie in every single one of your posts, and it is really bugging me.

The quote is an accurate one .. it was given when the leader was contemplating how to handle the situtation. The pope of that time, wanted to stomp out heresy, and by giving indulgences and a promise to redistribute the wealth of those in the towns, raised armies from other places in Europe, went in, slaughtered entire towns, PEACEFUL towns, full of LOYAL Catholics too.

They slaughtered everyone, loyalists and heretics alike.

I will append the link when I find it, go read it all for yourself.

Kilroy the Ninja

The quote is an accurate one .. it was given when the leader was contemplating how to handle the situtation. The pope of that time, wanted to stomp out heresy, and by giving indulgences and a promise to redistribute the wealth of those in the towns, raised armies from other places in Europe, went in, slaughtered entire towns, PEACEFUL towns, full of LOYAL Catholics too.

They slaughtered everyone, loyalists and heretics alike.

I will append the link when I find it, go read it all for yourself.

interestingly enough this is not the case for the Catholic Church NOW, TODAY, RIGHT NOW.

What does this have to do with anything Bruce? Honestly?

Council of Avignon

Raymond VI was excommunicated again.

18th of January

Submission of Raymond VI in Saint Gilles

Raymond VI was authorised to take part in the crusade against his own subjects and was absolved from his sins after experiencing an unprecedented humiliation.

Stripped to the waist, he was flogged in front a a large crowd on the spot where Pierre de Castelnau had been murdered, for all to see the pitiful state of a man who might not have been quite in his right mind.

Twenty years later, his son was subjected to the same punishment which may imply that there was a taint of insanity in the lineage of the Counts of Toulouse.

June

Initiation of the "Crusade"

22nd of July

Béziers Massacre

The number of people massacred in the La Madeleine Church alone amounted to 7000. Reportedly, not a single person survived.[/QUOTE]

http://www.cathars.org/html/chronologie.html

Now, I'm NOT defending the heretics, only pointing out history as it happened.

By the way, the Inquisition started with this campaign too....

Bruce what point are you exactly trying to make? where is this going? Lots of terrible things happened then and continue to happen all the time.

Laudate_Dominum

That was not an intelligent engagement of my arguments or the other evidence I presented. It was merely an emotionally charged slander of the Church. Certainly members of the Church have done terrible things ("all have sinned!", this includes prots), but no betrayal of Christ was worse than that of Judas, who was with Him from the beginning and yet betrayed He who was God with a kiss to His agonizing death! Sin, betrayal, human weakess.. These will always be with us. This is the human condition afterall. Let's discuss the Biblical and historical reality of the Church, not it's dirty laundry, if you please.