An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Ignores Protests To Restore Latin Mass

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

[url="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21364512-2702,00.html"]http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...12-2702,00.html[/url]

POPE Benedict XVI plans to bring back the celebration of mass in Latin, overriding a rare show of protest from senior cardinals.
With a papal decree said to be imminent, Catholic publishers in Rome are preparing new editions of the Latin missal.
They have sent proofs to Vatican authorities for approval, the Rome newspaper La Repubblica has reported.

Vatican sources said Benedict, who is fluent in Latin, is considering the publication of a papal motu proprio (literally, on his own initiative), which does not require the approval of church bodies.

This would enable Benedict to ignore opposition from several cardinals.

The decree would declare the Latin, or Tridentine, mass an "extraordinary universal rite", and the vernacular mass, with which most Catholics are familiar, an "ordinary universal rite".

The late French archbishop Marcel Lefebvre was excommunicated for opposing changes in the church agreed by the Second Vatican Council in the early 1960s, including the replacement of the Tridentine mass with updated liturgy in local languages.

The Pope's proposal will be cheered by Lefebvre's traditionalist followers.

A special Vatican commission, appointed to examine the demands of traditionalists, met in December to help draft the decree. Today, celebration of the Tridentine rite is limited. Bishops can allow it, but only on the condition that the celebration is deemed a sign of "affection for the ancient tradition" and not a criticism of the reforms.

Benedict wrote in his memoirs, My Life: Memories 1927-1977, published when he was still a cardinal: "I was stunned by the ban on the ancient missal."

--------------------------------

Hmmm...

As a Byzantine Catholic I would like to simply point out that the article (and perhaps even the Pope himself) has misnamed the two rites, because neither is a "universal" rite; instead, both are "Latin" or "Roman" in nature.

Guess the Church really isn't a democracy. ;)

Whatever the Vatican ends up deciding, I will be behind it 100%. I'm personally hoping for the return of the Latin Mass, but if that doesn't happen I will trust that it's the will of the Holy Spirit.

Praise God!!

[offtopic]
... I don't know why it matters whether the Lefebvre-ites will cheer the motion or not... The Holy Father is being guided by the Holy Spirit; He's not being guided by the schismatics sects within the Church.
[/offtopic]

Edited by Totus Tuus

franciscanheart

i think it's cool that the option will be available... i think. i'm not sure how i feel about it only because i could see this taking the "only the Latin Mass is good" thing to a whole other level...

Archaeology cat

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1212143' date='Mar 11 2007, 08:03 PM']The decree would declare the Latin, or Tridentine, mass an "extraordinary universal rite", and the vernacular mass, with which most Catholics are familiar, an "ordinary universal rite".[/quote]

Could someone clarify the difference between "extraordinary universal rite" and "ordinary"? I think I know what he's talking about, but I just want to make sure. Thanks. :)

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1212219' date='Mar 11 2007, 06:44 PM']Could someone clarify the difference between "extraordinary universal rite" and "ordinary"? I think I know what he's talking about, but I just want to make sure. Thanks. :)[/quote]

I would think that "ordinary" is another word for "normative" and "extraordinary" means "not used on a normal basis" - it could be that these are not the terms Il Papa is going to use. Maybe it's just journalistic shorthand.

I would just like a church that has the traditional mass. I have considered attending a Byzantine liturgy, if it was near me.

HeavenlyCalling

YAY YAY YAY I am [u]really[/u] hoping that this happens ( there have been rumors for quite a while), although my parish priest most likely would stick to the mass we have now, there are a few parishs around me that might pick it up. YAY!

If this does happen, how long would it be until things actually started to happen?

Not being a wet blanket, it's just that the Church loves to take Her sweet time with these things. :) At least relative to the rest of us.

DiscerningSoul

I would love this!!

In one of the churchs I go to, they have asked that "outward" signs be refraned from such as genuflecting and recieving on the tounge! :unsure: