An Old School Catholic Message Board

Conference Seeks Warmer Welcome For Gays

thessalonian

Proud2BCatholic139

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1212900' date='Mar 13 2007, 12:36 AM']If they don't care what the Vatican says, anyway, why don't they just leave and start their own church?[/quote]

Why do that? We, faithful Catholics, must instruct the ignorant; even if those people are Catholic. Keep praying for them, and ask our Blessed Mother for her intercession.

thessalonian

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1217768' date='Mar 23 2007, 03:26 PM']how do I do that?

If you know for certain let me know.

:sadder:[/quote]

Call the number on the application form. I'll likely find out in the morning though. I know the guy selling tickets at our parish.

thessalonian

To Lousiville Fan,

[quote]I know from them how fruitless these protests are.[/quote]

How many protests have you been too and what supporting evidence do you have that they are fruitless. I was at one 2 years ago in which we opposed rainbow sashers recieving the Eucharist. 1 year later they were not allowed to recieve. I call that fruit and have significant information that it was because of our peaceful protest of the gays coming on pentecost with their sashes to recieve the eucharist. You of course have me made out to be a loudmouth gay basher. Hate to tell you but we excercised the utmost charity when we spoke to them as I did last friday night. God will know the fruit of these things and your judgement of people acting in faith and thinking you know the fruit is arrogant and way out of line. You don't know nuthin.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1217886' date='Mar 23 2007, 05:34 PM']Bumpersticker theology are those little soundbites that people of any stance use "make their case," but the case is never actually made because you can't make a real point in a few words. For example, "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve." It makes sense to conservatives who already accept the point being made, but they've never had to read those words from a liberal's point of view who doesn't accept that point. If they did, they would know that liberals just get pissed off and, at that point, your case is lost.
Where did I say anything about promoting sinful lifestyles? What I'm suggesting is using gentler tactics to evangelize the truth in a way that might be more receptive to those who need it most. So far, all we've acheived is greater polarization. Maybe the fact that I have a lot of friends who are in the liberal camp contributes to why I look at things this way, but at the same time, I know from them how fruitless these protests are.

The one exception I hold is praying -- peacefully -- at abortion clinics because I have heard stories of how people who would've had abortions changed their minds and the power of prayer to work against the evil that's happening inside. But I haven't heard any similiar stories about protesting at conventions like this one. The only way I am open to changing my opinion about this kind of protesting is if you can show me that people are being converted through these efforts.[/quote]
The problem is that things such as the meeting discussed in this thread do indeed promote sinful lifestyles and seek to undermine the moral teachings of the Church. They are essentially trying to get homosexual behavior tolerated within the Church. As I have shown, this is a very serious matter as it sows dissent and confusion in the Church.
Where there is such public dissent, it is commendable for faithful Catholics to make it known that such immoral dissent has absolutely no place in the Church, and make the truth be known.
And yes, some liberals will get pissed off by the truth, and refuse to hear the truth, but too bad.
Yes, people need to work in charity to win souls to the truth, but where there is public dissent against Catholic morality, a clear line needs to be drawn.

Avoiding "polarization" is not our ultimate goal.

[quote]Do not think that I came to send peace upon earth: I came not to send peace, but the sword.
For I came to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.[/quote](Matthew 10:34-35)

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1217919' date='Mar 23 2007, 07:08 PM']Call the number on the application form. I'll likely find out in the morning though. I know the guy selling tickets at our parish.[/quote]

I didnt get home til now, so just pm me in the morning. If he is still selling them, dibs 2 for me please.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1217923' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:12 PM']To Lousiville Fan,
How many protests have you been too and what supporting evidence do you have that they are fruitless. I was at one 2 years ago in which we opposed rainbow sashers recieving the Eucharist. 1 year later they were not allowed to recieve. I call that fruit and have significant information that it was because of our peaceful protest of the gays coming on pentecost with their sashes to recieve the eucharist. You of course have me made out to be a loudmouth gay basher. Hate to tell you but we excercised the utmost charity when we spoke to them as I did last friday night. God will know the fruit of these things and your judgement of people acting in faith and thinking you know the fruit is arrogant and way out of line. You don't know nuthin.[/quote]

I'm going by what I hear from liberal friends and their opinions of conservatives. I'm glad you protested peacefully. From your earlier posts, I didn't get the idea that you were being peaceful and that is what concerned me. Now that the rainbow sashers aren't allowed to received, is there any effort to reaching out to them?

premed_jakey

I think that it would be prudent to bring up a point that I dont think many heterosexual catholics understand. the CCC teaches that homosexuals are called to live a chaste life, and that the sin is in the actions, not in the orientation. Im going to put myself out there by saying that I am a gay catholic, but I believe in the teachings of the church, and I do live in a chaste life. Being a cafeteria Catholic is not acceptable for me or my family. There are a lot of gay Catholics who are like that, and DO live by church teachings. I just wanted to throw that out there, and hope that we are not juding people with undue harshness.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for [i]US[/i], [b]SINNERS[/b][i][/i], now, and at the hour of our death, amen.

mariahLVzJP2

[quote name='Premed_Jakey' post='1220965' date='Mar 28 2007, 12:51 AM']I think that it would be prudent to bring up a point that I dont think many heterosexual catholics understand. the CCC teaches that homosexuals are called to live a chaste life, and that the sin is in the actions, not in the orientation. Im going to put myself out there by saying that I am a gay catholic, but I believe in the teachings of the church, and I do live in a chaste life. Being a cafeteria Catholic is not acceptable for me or my family. There are a lot of gay Catholics who are like that, and DO live by church teachings. I just wanted to throw that out there, and hope that we are not juding people with undue harshness.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for [i]US[/i], [b]SINNERS[/b][i][/i], now, and at the hour of our death, amen.[/quote]
cool. great post! :)

thessalonian

[quote name='Premed_Jakey' post='1220965' date='Mar 28 2007, 12:51 AM']I think that it would be prudent to bring up a point that I dont think many heterosexual catholics understand. the CCC teaches that homosexuals are called to live a chaste life, and that the sin is in the actions, not in the orientation. Im going to put myself out there by saying that I am a gay catholic, but I believe in the teachings of the church, and I do live in a chaste life. Being a cafeteria Catholic is not acceptable for me or my family. There are a lot of gay Catholics who are like that, and DO live by church teachings. I just wanted to throw that out there, and hope that we are not juding people with undue harshness.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for [i]US[/i], [b]SINNERS[/b][i][/i], now, and at the hour of our death, amen.[/quote]

Jakey,

Thank you for your post. Personally I am well aware of what the CCC teaches but others might not be and so your post is appreciated. I appreciate your desire to be loyal to the teachings of Christ and his Church in this stuggle you have been allowed. May God bless you in your jouney. I admire your willingness to put yourself out there as it is a testimony that the life the Churches says you must live can be lived by God's grace. Praise God that your actions give glory to him and his Church!

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Premed_Jakey' post='1220965' date='Mar 28 2007, 01:51 AM']I think that it would be prudent to bring up a point that I dont think many heterosexual catholics understand. the CCC teaches that homosexuals are called to live a chaste life, and that the sin is in the actions, not in the orientation. Im going to put myself out there by saying that I am a gay catholic, but I believe in the teachings of the church, and I do live in a chaste life. Being a cafeteria Catholic is not acceptable for me or my family. There are a lot of gay Catholics who are like that, and DO live by church teachings. I just wanted to throw that out there, and hope that we are not juding people with undue harshness.

I'm curious, was this part of a conversion process for you in embracing the Church teaching, or did you pretty much grow up desiring to be chaste and not questioning the teaching? I have a friend who is a gay Catholic. He is not living a chase lifestyle, yet is considering entering into a religious community (where he says he would seek to honor the vow of chastity). I think he is open to accepting what the Church teaches, but just struggles with a lot of the same questions that many people have, like why an infertile couple can be validly married and gay couples can't. Guess I'm just curious how the natural law could be better explained to reach someone in that situation?

thessalonian

"He is not living a [b]chase [/b]lifestyle"

Actually it sounds like he is????

:idontknow:

Bad joke.

Edited by thessalonian

+

If you don't like it the coverage, send an announcement to the Paper about the Corapi conference etc. They probably don't even know about it.

premed_jakey

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1221609' date='Mar 28 2007, 09:08 PM']I'm curious, was this part of a conversion process for you in embracing the Church teaching, or did you pretty much grow up desiring to be chaste and not questioning the teaching? I have a friend who is a gay Catholic. He is not living a chase lifestyle, yet is considering entering into a religious community (where he says he would seek to honor the vow of chastity). I think he is open to accepting what the Church teaches, but just struggles with a lot of the same questions that many people have, like why an infertile couple can be validly married and gay couples can't. Guess I'm just curious how the natural law could be better explained to reach someone in that situation?[/quote]

I was bsically raised in the church, but my parents didnt let me participate in any sacrament past baptism because they wanted me to wait until I was older to make that decision. I am 18 now, and I am getting confirmed and all that, and I feel a lot more accountable for my faith, and want to live it in a way that God would like, so I am living to the full letter of the law. I struggle sometimes with not being able to marry and all that, but I accept the church's teachings because I honestly believe that God still speaks through the Pope in doctrine, and I accept it because I have faith. Its different for everyone, but after prayer, I understand and accept the commands and lifestyle that the church asks of me. Hope that helps somewhat. :D:

St. michael, Pray for us.

thessalonian

[quote name='Veritas' post='1221658' date='Mar 28 2007, 10:38 PM']+

If you don't like it the coverage, send an announcement to the Paper about the Corapi conference etc. They probably don't even know about it.[/quote]

I already did that.

The paper has a history of filling their paper with pro-gay and fringe religion. They quite clearly are not looking for anything orthodox so I doudt they will report it.

Edited by thessalonian

thessalonian

Jakey,

Have you heard of a group named courage?

[url="http://couragerc.net/"]http://couragerc.net/[/url]

Unlike some of the other Cataholic groups that minister to the needs of those who have SSA this one is orthodox as I understand it.