An Old School Catholic Message Board

Conference Seeks Warmer Welcome For Gays

thessalonian

premed_jakey

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1222034' date='Mar 29 2007, 10:28 AM']Jakey,

Have you heard of a group named courage?

[url="http://couragerc.net/"]http://couragerc.net/[/url]

Unlike some of the other Cataholic groups that minister to the needs of those who have SSA this one is orthodox as I understand it.[/quote]

Thanks for the weblink! I am liking the site. Thanks!!

thessalonian

Great. God bless you in your journey. I will pray and ask others to do so as well. And I ask your prayers in my efforts in helping others.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1221609' date='Mar 28 2007, 11:08 PM']I think he is open to accepting what the Church teaches, but just struggles with a lot of the same questions that many people have, like why an infertile couple can be validly married and gay couples can't. Guess I'm just curious how the natural law could be better explained to reach someone in that situation?[/quote]

Well, I never understood how these two were similar. Mostly because you cannot ignore the procreative element of marriage, as much as a contraceptive society would like us to forget. Due to this fact I think it would be good to look at that a man and a man can never carry a baby to term. The same goes for a woman and a woman, because they could never by themselves conceive a child.

I guess my point is, God created man and woman to create life. Because a man and a woman have the complimentary means of conceiving, regardless of whether or not they are fertile(Elizabeth and Zacariah anyone?)

Maybe this will help your friend with that question, Im sure he doesn't get straight answers very often. (not from you louisvillefan ^_^ )

thessalonian

[quote]I think he is open to accepting what the Church teaches, but just struggles with a lot of the same questions that many people have, like why an infertile couple can be validly married and gay couples can't.[/quote]

The Church teaches that gay sex is intrinsically evil. It violates natural law, i.e. woman was created for man and man for woman in every way. If he is open to it that should shut down the other question.
Another reason why a man and a woman who can't concieve can be married is they can provide a proper home enviroment for the rearing of children. Gay couples provide a very confusing enviroment. The question implies unchastity among gays is okay. Clearly it is not.

Edited by thessalonian

thessalonian

[quote name='Premed_Jakey' post='1222363' date='Mar 29 2007, 05:07 PM']Thanks for the weblink! I am liking the site. Thanks!![/quote]

By the way the gays who run symposiums like the one here a couple of weeks ago know about this group and strongly oppose it, though it is faithful to the teachings of the Church. That shows the heart of this other gay movement. It is to subvert Church teaching. I praise you for your desire to live the faith in the midst of struggle. That alone will bear fruit.

premed_jakey

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1222923' date='Mar 30 2007, 08:38 AM']Great. God bless you in your journey. I will pray and ask others to do so as well. And I ask your prayers in my efforts in helping others.[/quote]

Sure thing. Thanks for the prayers, and I will keep you in mine. :D:

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1222936' date='Mar 30 2007, 09:02 AM']By the way the gays who run symposiums like the one here a couple of weeks ago know about this group and strongly oppose it, though it is faithful to the teachings of the Church. That shows the heart of this other gay movement. It is to subvert Church teaching. I praise you for your desire to live the faith in the midst of struggle. That alone will bear fruit.[/quote]

I think that a lot of gay people try to use the loving aspect of God to make what they do seem right, but the point is that if you are living against the teachings of the church, you are living in sin, and need reconcilliation or you will die in sin. God also has a side of righteous judgement. None of us will escape it. We will all have the judgement, and recieve our punishment. Just because a few people get together and try to make something truth, doesnt make it truth. Thats what seperates us from Protestants I think. We dont just split when we disagree because we have the truth, and in the end, everything else will pale in comparison.

St. Michael, Pray for us

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1212688' date='Mar 12 2007, 06:23 PM']The Star/Tribune in Minneapolis has a section on Saturdays titled "faith and values". It is pretty much a setion on anything but conservative faith and values and mostly an experiement in social enginerring. Last winter seven thousand Catholics in the twin cities came to here Scott Hahn and I think it was Jeff Cavins. This year 1500 faithful Catholic men will hear Fr. Corapi. Jeff Cavin's series on the Bible are filling up. But a conference of 500 liberal pro-gay Catholics get's together and that's what they report. nothing on any of the other events that FAITHFUL Catholics attend. Here is the article. These people need to be excommunicated!

Conference seeks warmer welcome for gay Catholics
The archdiocese doesn't approve, but those attending a weekend symposium say the church is defined by worshipers, not Vatican pronouncements.
By Pamela Miller, Star Tribune
Last update: March 09, 2007 – 2:47 PM
Printer friendly
E-mail this story
Save to del.icio.us

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Catholic Pastoral Committee on Sexual Minorities: www.cpcsm.org

New Ways Ministry: [url="http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze43yrc"]http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze43yrc[/url][/quote]

+

I thought we didn't post links to anti-Catholic sites.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1213694' date='Mar 14 2007, 04:13 PM']Yes, and I can just see the lights suddenly going on in the heads of those 5,000 people: "Oh, yes, of course... homosexual acts are intrinsically evil. I forgot about that. Well, guess that means we should all go home now."

In my previous post, I'm not talking about joining forces with those who are advocating gay civil marriage rights or changing the Church's teaching. If you really want to be a radical and faithful Catholic, why not attend the conference just to hear these peoples' stories. Because the only people willing to listen to them so far are the ones in organizations like this one. They expect you to show up with a sign proclaiming the truth, but that doesn't work in a relativist society. It worked in Ninevah, when most of the citizens agreed to the Jewish standard of moral law, even if they weren't obeying it. Jonah shows up, calls 'em out, and they repent.

Today, I really think a softer approach is called for. However, this is more dangerous because one can find themselves feeling compassionate towards their agenda and find your own faithfulness to the Church slipping. But if your faith is strong, you have a good understanding of it, and a solid community of other faithful Catholics to hold you accountable, then I think you can take the softer approach.

Also, I'm not sure why you think I find Catholicism to be just a bunch of rules. I said that if this were the case, I would be the first to leave. My point in saying that is some people, especially those who aren't faithful to the Church, only see the rules that seem to be against the things they desire in their hearts. How, then, do we counter that? By yelling the rules even louder? Or by patiently showing the one, true, fufilling Love? Our faith is far more than rules... it is, essentially, Love. That's why I am and will always be Catholic.

Speaking of which, I had a number of mortally sinful habits a year ago when I entered the Church, yet I wasn't told that I couldn't enter without overcoming those habits first. Why should it be any different with those who are already in the Church?[/quote]

+

You are right in that we need to reach out to those with same-sex attractions with faithful pastoral care like Courage ( www.couragerc.net). However, it would be scandalous, in my opinion to be seen attending the event -remember you are just adding to the numbers and what goes into the eye and ear...

Edited by Veritas

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1216944' date='Mar 21 2007, 04:45 PM']Hate to tell you but I did hear it's sold out. 1500 seats. Check in to it though. I could be wrong.[/quote]

+

They added a third date.

[quote name='Premed_Jakey' post='1222967' date='Mar 30 2007, 10:06 AM']Sure thing. Thanks for the prayers, and I will keep you in mine. :D:
I think that a lot of gay people try to use the loving aspect of God to make what they do seem right, but the point is that if you are living against the teachings of the church, you are living in sin, and need reconcilliation or you will die in sin. God also has a side of righteous judgement. None of us will escape it. We will all have the judgement, and recieve our punishment. Just because a few people get together and try to make something truth, doesnt make it truth. Thats what seperates us from Protestants I think. We dont just split when we disagree because we have the truth, and in the end, everything else will pale in comparison.

St. Michael, Pray for us[/quote]

+

You are such an inspiration. What you are doing is so counter-culture and so radical for Christ... THANK YOU for your witness. I cannot tell you how much it means to all of us.