An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fundamentalism And Religious Relativism

cathoholic_anonymous

cathoholic_anonymous

The more I read about the kind of relativism promoted by the Unitarian Universalists and the more I see of Christian fundamentalism, the more I realise that the two things are like fascism and communism: ostensibily diametrically opposed but really pretty near identical.

Members of both groups have a tendancy to think in stark black and white, with no room for subtlety and nuance. Religious relativists advocate that everyone else is equally right; the fundamentalists advocate that everyone else is equally wrong. Religious relativists preach that it is impossible to reach anything remotely resembling an answer; fundamentalists believe that they have all the answers. If you want personalcomfort, you turn to the UU Church; if you want personal certainty, you turn to fundamentalism. I know this can't be true of all the people in those churches, but for a lot of them (especially converts) it seems to be too much about ME - [i]my[/i] comfort, [i]my[/i] certainty. Polar opposites working on the same narrow, blinkered principles.

Just a thought.

Whats wrong with certainty?

Anyhow the UU religion matches that of Catholicism far more. In fact Ive met those who consider themselves Buddhist Catholics and even when I was in my old town was busy witnessing to a Wiccan-Catholic.

If any of you folks went to your local UU church, while they would disagree with your prolife stances, youd probably fit right in...they love to read the writings of philosophers, other religions and hold interfaith meetings.

[quote]The Unitarian faith is rooted in acceptance of other religions and beliefs.

By SUMAYYA AHMAD Staff Writer

Unitarian Universalism, a non-denominational faith that incorporates traditions from many backgrounds and faiths including Judaism, Islam and Hinduism, has a diverse following of faculty and students from all religions and backgrounds at USC.

Unitarian Universalism focuses on gratitude for blessings, which is the renewal of hope and service on behalf of justice. Its roots date back to 16th century Christian humanism and include 17th century reformers, such as the Pilgrims and Puritans.

"It's basically people coming together who can be of different faiths and different beliefs," said Nitin Joshi, a junior majoring in electrical engineering and founder and president of the Unitarian Universalists of the University of Southern California.

"We're coming together to answer questions, such as why we're here, how we create meaning in our lives, and how do we create justice in our society," he said.

Joshi, who was raised in a Hindu family, said that he was attracted to Unitarianism because of its acceptance of other faiths and search for spiritual answers. He said he became interested in the religion as a senior in high school, when a friend took him to a meeting.

"The whole concept of there being no one way has given me encouragement to learn about other religions," he said.

Joshi said that another Unitarian organization had been on campus last year, but he felt that it lacked organization and structure. He took over the leadership and holds meetings every Monday.

"Adopting one religion is close-minded. That is reverting to a state of blocking out other opinions that exist. It offers guidance on day-to-day life because you're learning from so many different sources," he said.

Heidi Hardt, a junior majoring in print journalism and international relations, grew up in a Unitarian family and said that the faith has taught her to be open-minded and not to judge others.

"For me, the most important thing about Unitarianism in my life is that it focused on acceptance and tolerance of all people," Hardt said.

Unitarian sermons are similar to those of traditional non-denominational Christian churches and sanctuaries, but these sermons are more like a guiding principle to assist people to find their own path, she said. The principles of Unitarianism serve as a guide for people to set up their own beliefs.

Unitarians celebrate religious holidays of different faiths and backgrounds, including Judaism, Islam and Christianity, Hardt said.

Many people attend Unitarian congregations, including atheists, agnostics, and gays, in addition to people of traditional faiths, such as Christianity and Judaism.

"It's an all-encompassing thing. I liked Unitarianism because my beliefs, no matter what they were, were going to be tolerated," Hardt said.[b]Jeanne Chuman, a junior majoring in physics and philosophy, is Roman Catholic and Unitarian. She said that a person can be Catholic and Unitarian at the same time because of Unitarianism's approach to spirituality.

(I have realized that aspects of Catholicism exsist in the UU church definitely)

"I believe God is universal. It's always been to me that God is beyond all understanding. If you're trying to reach for a higher truth, you can't always reach that if you say that yours is the only way," Chuman said.

Chuman, who was raised Catholic said that she had friends of various faiths and has always been interested in religion. In college, she said she wanted to approach religion more critically and talk to people of different faiths.[/b]

Dr. David Marsh, associate dean of the Rossier School of Education, is also Unitarian.

"I wanted a religion for me that cared about justice and equity, that cared a lot about fairness and talked about God as a powerful spirit, not so much as a person," Marsh said.

Marsh, who was raised in a Protestant tradition, became interested in Unitarianism as an adult. He said that he liked the sense of community and of people being together, rather than being isolated.

"Unitarianism comes down to your own questions and seeking out spiritual life," he said. "We create our own spiritual depths; we don't inherit from a creed or a book."[/quote]

This is VERY UU

[quote]CCC 843 [b]The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near[/b] since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. [b]Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life.[/b]"332[/quote]

[quote]Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. [/quote][quote]
# Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;[/quote]

[url="http://www.uua.org/aboutuua/principles.html"]UUA[/url]

[quote]Unitarian Universalist Association
Commending Pope John XXIII's Encyclical "Peace on Earth"
1963 General Resolution

WHEREAS, the Encyclical of His Holiness, Pope John XXIII, entitled "Peace on Earth" issued on April 11, 1963, and concerned with "establishing universal peace in truth, justice, charity, and liberty," is a wise and noble utterance and is directed not only to the faithful of the Roman Catholic Church, but to all men of goodwill; and
[b]WHEREAS, this Encyclical calls for the development through the United Nations of a "public authority of the world community". . ."having world-wide power and endowed with the proper means for the efficacious pursuit of its objective which is the universal good in concrete form"[/b] and which "must tackle and solve problems of economic, social, political, and cultural character which are posed by the universal common good," a public authority "inspired by sincere and real impartiality" whose "purpose is to create, on a world basis, an environment in which the public authorities of each political community, its citizens and intermediate associations, can carry out their tasks, fulfill their duties and exercise their rights with greater security"; and

WHEREAS, such an organized common peace with liberty and justice for all, in a world community united under law, through the development of the United Nations, has long been a declared objective of the Unitarian Universalist Association, its antecedent organizations, and its member churches and fellowships; now

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED: That the Unitarian Universalist Association gathered in General Assembly in May, 1963, rejoices with His Holiness, Pope John XXIII, with the members of the Roman Catholic Church, and with all men of goodwill everywhere of every race, nation, or faith, in this great statement of the imperative requirement of this age and hour, and pledges itself, and calls upon its member churches and fellowships, to work diligently and tirelessly for such organized world peace with justice under law through the United Nations until the day comes when it shall have been attained.[/quote]

Same tower of babel political goals.

[url="http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/992060/posts"]THE LUCIS TRUST {TEACHES SAME LIES AS UU} and ITS INVOLVEMENT WITH THE UN[/url]

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/tlthe5th/catholic/p6-un2.jpg[/img]

Time to wake up!

[quote]but for a lot of them (especially converts) it seems to be too much about ME - my comfort, my certainty.[/quote]

Catholics are taught that certainty is a bad thing, even though in rock solid faith certainty is a definite part, you believe because you know for sure. You do not doubt and live your life based on what ifs. You believe Christianity because you KNOW it is true, it is FACT so even if life throws you a curveball, you stand on the Word, and you know what is true, rather then living in the fuzzy wuzzy world of UNCERTAINTY.

[b]Luk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.[/b]

You are right I am certain and Im glad Im no longer living in the maze of confusion.

I know Christiany is true 100%

I know the Bible is true every word absolutely.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Budge' post='1213428' date='Mar 14 2007, 10:01 AM']I know the Bible is true every word absolutely.[/quote]

JOHN 6.

There are other verses in the Bible besides that one.

Anyhow tell me YOUR INTERPETATION of this verse...

Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

Budge (your heart response is coming btw)

Taking the verse in context I am curious what your point is. Christ is speaking about the food laws, and that the pharisee are more concerned with the food laws than the sanctification of the soul. The food laws are good and all, but the important thing is the condition of the soul. If the food laws are not fulfilling what they need to do in edifying the soul then they are useless.

Isnt that how you take it? Or do you think jesus wants us to be anorexic?

cmotherofpirl

17: Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and so passes on?
18: But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a man.
19: For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, false witness, slander.
20: These are what defile a man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man."

Jesus is explaining that the heart is our center.

John 6 is about the[b] HEART...[/b]..the eating is spiritual, becoming a Christian, and having the HOLY SPIRIT indwelling.

Old post of mine that talks about this..
[quote]

In the Catholic Church no one is taught they have to be saved in Christ. Even Commitment to Christ is seen as mostly done through sacraments.

Catholics dont see the real meaning of this:

"I am the living bread (JESUS IS THE LIVING BREAD) which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world." () The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, WHAT JESUS DID ON THE CROSS-HIS SACRIFICE ON THE CROSSsaying, "How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?" (THESE JEWS DIDNT UNDERSTAND AND CERTAINLY DIDNT KNOW THAT CHRIST WOULD GOING TO THE CROSS) Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed." (John 6:51-55).

Jesus definitely speaking in spiritual terms.

Does this verse mean someone is actually supposed to go eat paper and ink?

Moreover He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel." So I opened my mouth, and He caused me to eat that scroll (Ezekiel 3:1, 2).

Does this verse mean that God will actually make someone eat a tree risking splinters?

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

1Cr 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

Psa 127:2 [It is]vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: [for] so he giveth his beloved sleep.

EATING HAS A SPIRITUAL MEANING IN THE BIBLE!!!!! There are times it means literally eating but many many times it means SPIRITUAL EATING.

www.blueletterbible.org/t...-7724.html

Jesus says this later during loaves and fishes miracle..."you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. Do not labor for food which perishes, but for food which endures to everlasting life." (HE IS THAT FOOD NOT THE EUCHARIST WAFER)

The true meaning of *eating* of the flesh and blood of Jesus is SPIRITUAL![/quote]

Edited by Budge

Yea, too bad nobody before Calvin thought differently.

Understanding that even if your argument was sound. The traditon of the church still binds us to the truth of the eucharist. That is why catholicism has the fullness and protestantism is just floating in the waves with whatever brand of truth fits for their worldview.

[quote]Understanding that even if your argument was sound. The traditon of the church still binds us to the truth of the eucharist. That is why catholicism has the fullness and protestantism is just floating in the waves with whatever brand of truth fits for their worldview.[/quote]

The Eucharist is based on false tradition.

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

thessalonian

[quote name='Budge' post='1213636' date='Mar 14 2007, 02:41 PM']The Eucharist is based on false tradition.

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.[/quote]

Vainity? That would be Bible alone and every man and his bible that leads to the semirelativistic statements like "it's not a salvation issue" "the main things are the plain things" "it's not essential doctrine". These statements are made when two groups disagree about certain doctrines such as baptism or the lord's supper. The gist of them is "oh it doesn't really matter". What? As I recall the Bible according to you guys contains everything that is neccessary for salvation. But apparently you decide some of it isn't really neccessary. I ask by what authority. This type of thining brings to life the phrase "nullify the word of God".

Blessings

thessalonian

Check out these articles:

[url="http://www.christopherwest.com/article2.asp"]http://www.christopherwest.com/article2.asp[/url]

[url="http://www.christopherwest.com/article4.asp"]http://www.christopherwest.com/article4.asp[/url]