An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Family Tree

catholicinsd

MissScripture

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1214381' date='Mar 15 2007, 09:39 PM']I'd just always thought my Great-Great-Grandpappy came from Germany. But apparently, he was born in Pennsilvania.[/quote]
At some point earlier in your family, they probably came from Germany. I have it easy, my grandparents were immigrants. I know where they came from!

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1214398' date='Mar 16 2007, 12:28 AM']At some point earlier in your family, they probably came from Germany. I have it easy, my grandparents were immigrants. I know where they came from![/quote]

My grandparents are immigrants too :) But it can be quite difficult to get them to tell us about the family or the old country... sometimes they are rather shy about it.

Edited by Maggie

MissScripture

[quote name='Maggie' post='1214410' date='Mar 15 2007, 11:24 PM']My grandparents are immigrants too :) But it can be quite difficult to get them to tell us about the family or the old country... sometimes they are rather shy about it.[/quote]
I know my grandma's story pretty thoroughly, because she'd give talks about it. She was in a Communist Concetration Camp during WWII. My Grandpa is far more reserved about his, although more has been coming out since they have recently found some long-lost cousins. They got separated when they came over, and didn't find eachother until about 3 years ago.

MissScripture

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1214425' date='Mar 16 2007, 01:16 AM']I was able to find a grand-pappy from 1629.[/quote]
Cool! From where?

cmotherofpirl

People, do not lose your family histories!!!!. Sit down with your older relations before it is too late. Turn on a tape recorder and have them talk about when they were little, what they have seen and experienced. This is probably one of the most important gifts you can give yuor kids and grandkids - a knowledge of their personal past.

Cd, what part of Pennsylvania did they come from? That is my stomping ground. :)

catholicinsd

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1214428' date='Mar 16 2007, 02:25 AM']Cool! From where?[/quote]

They lived in Preußen.

catholicinsd

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1214490' date='Mar 16 2007, 10:47 AM']Cd, what part of Pennsylvania did they come from? That is my stomping ground. :)[/quote]

Actually now I found that my 3-great-granparents came over in the 1830's. They weren't in Penn that long.

MissScripture

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1214537' date='Mar 16 2007, 09:44 AM']They lived in Preußen.[/quote]
Would that be Prussia in English?

catholicinsd

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1214861' date='Mar 17 2007, 03:34 AM']Would that be Prussia in English?[/quote]

No. It's a region of Northern Germany.

• 3 weeks later...
catholicinsd

Ok so I found some interesting things.

My great-great-grandma actually came to this country first from Ireland-then part of the UK. She took a wagon train to Volga, SD and then walked to the farmstead, which she established. She was the one to build the sod house, her fianance came the next year.

My great-uncle died in a well in North Dakota. His body had to be fished out.

There's an award named in honor of a cousin of mine

Grandma's aunt and Grandpa's brother were married. This is how the two met.

My maternal grandma is actually older than my paternal great-grandma