An Old School Catholic Message Board

School Chants We Love Jesus

thessalonian

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1215962' date='Mar 19 2007, 07:29 PM']:o :scratchhead: WOW, I certainly wouldn't have expected this from you. Those words of his were from the HOLY SPIRIT! What is bright to you? Silence? Paul's words even offended sometimes and he got the hell beat out of him. I have heard it said that his words were the beginning seeds of Paul's conversion. CMP, you are judging. That is all I can say. The Bible does not give us the final results of his words. We don't know if more were converted or how many. His martyrdom certainly planted a seed as all true martyrdoms do.[/quote]

They might have been brilliant, but they got him martyred. I have always thought he had more zeal than brains, and I always wished he could have changed his approach and lived to preach to more people. Many Saints have preached to hostile crowds and lived, like St Paul, who converted untold numbers.
Think of St Francis preaching to the Sultan.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1216104' date='Mar 19 2007, 07:44 PM']They might have been brilliant, but they got him martyred. I have always thought he had more zeal than brains, and I always wished he could have changed his approach and lived to preach to more people. Many Saints have preached to hostile crowds and lived, like St Paul, who converted untold numbers.
Think of St Francis preaching to the Sultan.[/quote]
Wow.

Way to demean all the holy martyrs of the Church.

If the early Christians had been like today's "Catholics," we'd all be hanging around giving libations to Caesar and debating the merits of ritual sodomy.

thessalonian
:doh:

I'm flabbergasted as well. Were not the early martyrs said to be the seeds planted that converted the Roman empire? They laid a foundation upon which men were willing to die for what they beleived that eventually one the hard hearts of the roman emporer Constantine and converted Rome to Christ. The Evenagelists of the time would not have been nearly as successful without them. What? Should they have denied their faith in Christ? Is that what we call smart these days? Stephen spoke the word of God, intended by God for our benefit in scripture and he is dumb? :doh: speachless is all I can say. Edited by thessalonian

cmotherofpirl

I know I know, but from the first time I read his words, all I could picture was the Lord standing at the pearly gates [ since it was before St Peter died] saying "what ? Already??"
There is nothing wrong with me [b]wishing[/b] the guy could have been around longer.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1216120' date='Mar 19 2007, 07:03 PM']Wow.

Way to demean all the holy martyrs of the Church.

If the early Christians had been like today's "Catholics," we'd all be hanging around giving libations to Caesar and debating the merits of ritual sodomy.[/quote]

Yeah that's what Cmom is saying

thessalonian

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1216144' date='Mar 19 2007, 09:29 PM']I know I know, but from the first time I read his words, all I could picture was the Lord standing at the pearly gates [ since it was before St Peter died] saying "what ? Already??"
There is nothing wrong with me [b]wishing[/b] the guy could have been around longer.[/quote]

No, you went beyond that CMOM. Should we wish Jesus had been around longer after Matt 23? Were those words stupid? Poor evangelization. I trust the wisdom of God in putting what he did in his book as a lesson for us. At times the words need to be hard even if it means our kneck is on the chopping block. God gave Stephen great courage! I pray that I would have such courage in the fast of such a challenge. First impressions are not always correct and I suggest you rethink this one.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1216121' date='Mar 19 2007, 07:05 PM']:doh:

I'm flabbergasted as well. Were not the early martyrs said to be the seeds planted that converted the Roman empire? They laid a foundation upon which men were willing to die for what they beleived that eventually one the hard hearts of the roman emporer Constantine and converted Rome to Christ. The Evenagelists of the time would not have been nearly as successful without them. What? Should they have denied their faith in Christ? Is that what we call smart these days? Stephen spoke the word of God, intended by God for our benefit in scripture and he is dumb? :doh: speachless is all I can say.[/quote]

Thess I don't think Cmom (or anyone) is minimizing the accomplishments of the martyrs. They were brave and holy people who willingly gave their lives to further the Church.

But to compare the works of the martyrs to that of high school students at a basketball game is a little ridiculous. Apples and oranges.

If the students intent was to preach the gospel (I don't believe it was. I believe it was simply to be funny)
If the students were in any danger (nope)

Then you have a plausible comparison.

There was nothing brave or self sacrificing about the actions of the students. They were trying to win a basketball game.

What a bunch of low-life punks. They were at a sports event, not an evangelical revival. Chanting 'We Love Jesus' at the game had nothing to do with preaching about God or evangelizing, it was meant to offend, not convert hearts.
Provide some sort of reasonable and logical 'charitable' intent, and you may change my mind. As it is, the kids were engaged in thuggery, and need more than sensitivity training.
I'm sure the Christian martyrs got killed for taunting: "I got God and you don't! You are going to Hell!" (That sounds like Budge and most Catholics here.)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1217599' date='Mar 23 2007, 06:12 AM']I'm sure the Christian martyrs got killed for taunting: "I got God and you don't! You are going to Hell!" (That sounds like Budge and most Catholics here.)[/quote]

You're right. Many Catholics are full of themselves. Sorry. Many others simply don't know how to evangelize well. Sorry. Others are judgmental. Sorry.

God bless,

Micah

Mary-Kathryn

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1214928' date='Mar 17 2007, 11:24 AM']Ok, I was going to put this in open mike but maybe it is better here. It may seem insentive to chant "we love Jesus" at a basketball game with a chool that had many jewish students. Certainly painting Jew o nthe wall was not good. But I have to wonder if Stephen would have got sensitivity training for his words in Acts 8. Methinks today he woud. Here's the story. Discuss.

[url="http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S32881.shtml?cat=162"]http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S32881.shtml?cat=162[/url][/quote]

These kids didn't need sensitivity training, they needed to be kicked out of school for the rest of the year. A little taste of public school with all its' diversity might help them see beyond themelves

Chanting was bad enough but to paint the word "Jew" on the wall let everyone know how deep their bigotry runs. Think how the Jewish kids must have felt to come across that.

Meh. I think the whole chanting thing was way outa hand. I can see that a few may have had their hearts and minds set on Christ, but it doesn't excuse the actions because many could have meant to intimidate with those words. I tell ya, those Jewish people probably were not feeling the love of Christ at that moment from those people.

Concerning good ol' St Stephen: What is wrong there CMom? How could you say he was too early??? I think he tended to be a martyr when he did. Like a wizard, a martyr is never early or late... heheh.. sorry... anywho, I have respect for the martyrs and their blood that was shed to lay the foundations of our Church. Now that I think of it, it seems kinda low to take a shot at the first guy. Like come on!!! He was the first man to take one for the team in this great battle!

Edited by Sacred Music Man

thessalonian

[quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='1217927' date='Mar 23 2007, 07:20 PM']These kids didn't need sensitivity training, they needed to be kicked out of school for the rest of the year. A little taste of public school with all its' diversity might help them see beyond themelves

Chanting was bad enough but to paint the word "Jew" on the wall let everyone know how deep their bigotry runs. Think how the Jewish kids must have felt to come across that.[/quote]

The article didn't say they all painted Jew on the wall. I agree that the chanting should not have happened but knee jerk reactions like kick them all our are common these days and to be quite honest some of it comes accross as nonsense. Some of these no-tolerance policies in schools around her have good kids getting expelled for minor infranctions.

Edited by thessalonian

thessalonian

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1216389' date='Mar 20 2007, 09:53 AM']Thess I don't think Cmom (or anyone) is minimizing the accomplishments of the martyrs. They were brave and holy people who willingly gave their lives to further the Church.

But to compare the works of the martyrs to that of high school students at a basketball game is a little ridiculous. Apples and oranges.

If the students intent was to preach the gospel (I don't believe it was. I believe it was simply to be funny)
If the students were in any danger (nope)

Then you have a plausible comparison.

There was nothing brave or self sacrificing about the actions of the students. They were trying to win a basketball game.[/quote]

Thanks for your post hot stuff. It allowed me to get my feeble mind around what is really bothering me about this episode.
Granted there is a difference. But political correctness has caused us to shy away from saying the name of Jesus is my point. Maybe this isn't a good example but should I go in to a place where Jews commonly hang out with a shirt, Jesus loves you? It might offend them. Probably will. But I have no problem doing it. It's the PC thing that is bothering me in this episode. I don't think we are only supposed to speak the name of Christ when are lives are in danger. In fact we have far less reason to speak it and we don't commonly. PC keeps us from it. I think I have flushed out what bothers me about this. A catholic school should be able to say the name of Jesus at a basketball game in the right context. They should have a big crusifix up in their gym. This all of course no matter what school comes to their territory. Many Catholic schools and hospitals have even taken crusifixes down from the walls. Okay, throw the book at the litle monsters in this episode. I've got it worked out and articulated it. I don't like sensitivity training because of it's pc nature and would like their desire to say the name of Christ channeled in to appropriate circumstances, i.e. like every day of their lives so that when a school shows up they are going to know that is what this school stands for.

Blessings

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1217972' date='Mar 23 2007, 07:17 PM']Thanks for your post hot stuff. It allowed me to get my feeble mind around what is really bothering me about this episode.
Granted there is a difference. But political correctness has caused us to shy away from saying the name of Jesus is my point. Maybe this isn't a good example but should I go in to a place where Jews commonly hang out with a shirt, Jesus loves you? It might offend them. Probably will. But I have no problem doing it. It's the PC thing that is bothering me in this episode. I don't think we are only supposed to speak the name of Christ when are lives are in danger. In fact we have far less reason to speak it and we don't commonly. PC keeps us from it. I think I have flushed out what bothers me about this. A catholic school should be able to say the name of Jesus at a basketball game in the right context. They should have a big crusifix up in their gym. This all of course no matter what school comes to their territory. Many Catholic schools and hospitals have even taken crusifixes down from the walls. Okay, throw the book at the litle monsters in this episode. I've got it worked out and articulated it. I don't like sensitivity training because of it's pc nature and would like their desire to say the name of Christ channeled in to appropriate circumstances, i.e. like every day of their lives so that when a school shows up they are going to know that is what this school stands for.

Blessings[/quote]

Now that I can lend my full support to! I fought that exact same thing when I was working at a Catholic University. The campus ministry dept would act as if they had to apologize to the non Catholic students for the fact they were attending a Catholic University. And it was all done in the name of inclusiveness.

And it ticked me off.

And umm "Yeehawww" (I think I have to end all of my posts with that in light of the new western decor around here)