An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mortal Sin

Thy Geekdom Come

Thy Geekdom Come
:lol: I could use Latin, if it evokes enough emotion that the students could hear the despair and then be flooded with the hope.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1216402' date='Mar 20 2007, 09:06 AM']I follow the Franciscan-Bonaventurian tradition and, I know I'm going to get carp for this, but I think it's much more alive than Thomism.

Anyway, this tradition is that the Incarnation was always intended (of course, God always knew that man would sin), but that it would have been intended even if man hadn't sinned. What you've said about TOTB has crossed my mind, too, and I agree with your conclusions.[/quote]
Interesting ... this makes me really want to somehow do some serious theological study. I have no idea how I could use it career-wise, but wow would it be awesome.

So. I hope I'm not going too far afield on your topic, but I have to say that there is something deeply appealing about the idea that the Incarnation was always intended. I haven't yet worked out exactly why it is that it resonates so deeply with me, but I really like the idea that there was always this loving intention to bring us into communion with Himself, and that the Incarnation was not a reaction to the sin of Adam but rather always a part of the plan. It changes something in the understanding of the nature of redemption, I think, that the intention was always there, that this desire to bring us into communion was always there. :think:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1216791' date='Mar 21 2007, 06:56 AM']Interesting ... this makes me really want to somehow do some serious theological study. I have no idea how I could use it career-wise, but wow would it be awesome.

So. I hope I'm not going too far afield on your topic, but I have to say that there is something deeply appealing about the idea that the Incarnation was always intended. I haven't yet worked out exactly why it is that it resonates so deeply with me, but I really like the idea that there was always this loving intention to bring us into communion with Himself, and that the Incarnation was not a reaction to the sin of Adam but rather always a part of the plan. It changes something in the understanding of the nature of redemption, I think, that the intention was always there, that this desire to bring us into communion was always there. :think:[/quote]
The grand irony is that, in the predominant tradition of the Church, Satan rejected God because God proposed the Incarnation. So, God always intended the Incarnation, revealed it to the angels, and some of the angels refused because it would mean that they would have to hail God in a lower nature and have to hail a human person, Mary, Queen of Angels, as well. This tension adds to the address of Gabriel the Archangel: "Hail, Mary, full of grace." So, the fallen angels then got man to sin, and God therefore stooped even lower in order to be Incarnate, thus spiting Satan by His love of man and by doing to an even greater extent that which led Satan to rebel in the first place. So the idea of the Incarnation indirectly precipitated the fall of man and the Incarnation itself then took on the new purpose of restoring man.

Cool? I think so.

Theologian in Training

I have a couple of songs but they are CCM artists

Telecast: Absolution and Building a Sorrowful Loveliness
Shawn McDonald: Sorry
Newsboys: When The Tears Fall
Rebecca St. James: Forgive Me (definitely one of the most Catholic songs I have heard from a CCM artist) and Lest I Forget

thessalonian

[quote name='Raphael' post='1216028' date='Mar 19 2007, 07:05 PM']Of course, I appreciate the question...I'll see where I can work it into my presentation. I wasn't sure if you were asking me or if you were giving me the question for use in my presentation, lol. :lol:[/quote]

A little of both.