An Old School Catholic Message Board

Found A Tiny Crucifix

EcceNovaFacioOmni

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I found it while sweeping a parking lot. I have no clue how I would find out who owns it and this happened a little less than a year ago. Should I just keep it? Feels kinda weird.

cathoholic_anonymous

Keep it. :) You'll never find the original owner now, but you could pray for them and their family every time you see the crucifix. Accept it is a blessed gift.

You found the crucifix a year ago and can't fine the owner?

Well, pray for the owners, and keep it in a safe place :)

Since you are not aware if the person simply lost it or no longer wants it, you may want to try and return it if you possibly can. Although, because it is reasonable that enough time has elapsed that it would be implausible say some prayers for the persons, ask Saint Anthony to help, leave it in the hands of God, and maybe donate however much it may be worth to the poor box.

I don’t know enough about the situation but I would hardly consider it stealing...

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Proud2BCatholic139

Keep it in your car. :)

Reminds me of Pierced By A Sword, where this kid found the MTA medal, miraculous medal on a baseball field, which was a former church lot, and he had no clue whose it was, or who it was, but he thought it was cool because it was a lady crushing a snakes head. Man, I love that book!

just maybe it was meant for you to have :)

last year, I found a boxful of rosaries, scapulars, and a few Catholic books in someone's yard... they were out there with the intent of being given away to whomever wanted them, but I just took it as something God wanted me to have. That house looked abandoned to an extent, so I never met or saw who left them out. (they could be deceased.) yes, pray for the owners :)

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I doubt it is worth more than a dollar honestly - probably less than an inch long. Slightly bigger than earring size. At the time, I figured it would not be best to just leave it in the middle of a parking lot. If anyone was looking for it, it'd be tough to find. I kind of felt like I was saving it at the time but recently I wondered if I should have acted otherwise. It was in a parking lot downtown, not by anyone's residence. Putting it back would entail putting right where someone might run over it or something and I think it deserves more respect than that. The only thing I think I could have done is bring it to the police, but it doesn't look like something you would put a lot of effort into finding (and the police might think it a bit odd as well...). Nobody would go claiming it at this point anyway I suppose.

Edited by thedude

Keep just in case, God could be asking you to take care of it for a bit.

Couple years back, I was at home from college for a long weekend. My Dad and I moved some furniture around so we could bring a new bed in. When I moved a bookcase, I spotted a rosary underneath of where it had been. It was a very simple rosary, standard black beads, chain, and steel crucifix. Thing is, I'd never seen it before in the 13+ years I'd lived in that house. So I stuck it in my pocket, added it to the collection, and went back to school.

Next week, at the campus ministry meeting, I was hanging out with one of the new guys. He's a good kid, but somewhat distant from the Church since he came to school, a bit of a "cultural Catholic." He mentioned that he really missed having "those old beads" around. I was promptly moved by the Holy Spirit to surrender my newfound rosary to my newfound friend. At first he refused, not wanting to take something of mine, but after I explained the circumstances around the rosary, he took it. Flash forward a year. The guy works delivery for Domino's and never has a chance to come to the campus ministry. I run into him on my way from class, we stop and chat a bit. He proudly tells me he's been praying the rosary since I handed him "those old beads" I found.

So you never know what God intends when you find neat little Catholic artifacts. You could become someone a instrument of the Holy Spirit. :)

Noel's angel

Nice story!

Last Halloween night I was walking along and found a 7 inch crucifix on the footpath. I still have it.

I think you should put an ad in the paper. If that don't work, pay for a commercial on your local Catholic radio station, also, put announcements in every church bulletin within a 100 mile radius. If you still canot find owner, I'd start raising some money to run a commercial during American Idol... still no results? Looks like you'll have to run a Superbowl commercial.

theculturewarrior

I have what you could call an ossuary for retired sacramentals. It doesn't feel right throwing them away.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1217573' date='Mar 23 2007, 01:46 AM']Keep it in your car. :)

Reminds me of Pierced By A Sword, where this kid found the MTA medal, miraculous medal on a baseball field, which was a former church lot, and he had no clue whose it was, or who it was, but he thought it was cool because it was a lady crushing a snakes head. Man, I love that book![/quote]
I liked the story...but it was hard to get through. There, I said it.