An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chocolate Jesus

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

here's something for you to get riled up over. enjoy.

[quote]Catholic group says Chocolate Jesus is no Easter treat
The Associated PressPublished: March 29, 2007

NEW YORK: The Easter season unveiling of a milk chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ, dubbed "My Sweet Lord" by its creator, left a sour taste Thursday in the mouths of a Catholic group infuriated by the anatomically correct confection.

"This is one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever," said Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League. "It's not just the ugliness of the portrayal, but the timing — to choose Holy Week is astounding."

The 6-foot (1.8-meter) sculpture by artist Cosimo Cavallaro was to debut Monday evening, the day after Palm Sunday and just four days before Roman Catholics mark the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on Good Friday. The final day of the exhibit at the Lab Gallery inside midtown Manhattan's Roger Smith Hotel was planned for Easter Sunday.

"The fact that they chose Holy Week shows this is calculated, and the timing is deliberate," said Donohue, whose group represents 350,000 Catholics nationwide.

He called for an economic boycott of the hotel, which he described as "already morally bankrupt."

The gallery's creative director, Matt Semler, said the Lab and the hotel were overrun with angry telephone calls and e-mails about the exhibit. Although he described Donohue's response as "a Catholic fatwa," Semler said the gallery was considering its options amid the criticism.

"We're obviously surprised by the overwhelming response and offense people have taken," said Semler, adding that the Holy Week timing was an unfortunate coincidence. "We are certainly in the process of trying to figure out what we're going to do next."

The artwork was created from more than 200 pounds (90 kilograms) of milk chocolate, and it features Christ with his arms outstretched as if on an invisible cross. Unlike the typical religious portrayal of Christ, the Cavallaro creation does not include a loincloth.

Cavallaro, who was raised in Canada and Italy, is best known for his quirky work with food as art: Past efforts include repainting a Manhattan hotel room in melted mozzarella, spraying 5 tons of pepper jack coagulated milk on a Wyoming home and festooning a four-poster bed with 312 pounds (141.5 kilograms) of processed ham.

The Christ sculpture will be on display April 2-7 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., with a final showing from midnight to 1 a.m. on Easter Sunday. Its location on the ground floor ensures attention from the thousands of passers-by in the busy neighborhood just north of Grand Central Terminal.

Semler was particularly upset by the call for a boycott of the hotel, which he said was not involved in the selection of "My Sweet Lord."

It is not the first time that Donohue's group and the art world have been at odds. A painting of "The Holy Virgin Mary" that used a splash of elephant dung drew outrage in 1999.[/quote]

reminds me of the indignancy of many at phatmass.

[b]Maybe off topic[/b] but I have always seen chocolate crosses at the store but I always wondered what would happen if they put chocolate crucifixes? How would you eat it? Would you leave the body alone or would you start at the legs? (Sighs) This thought process only goes even worse after this but this is what the topic reminded me of.

i heard on Don and Roma that people would be allowed to lick and take bites out of it. I dont know if that is true, but I think this is stupid anyways. I cant stand it when the pagan world thinks its fine and good to attack and mock Christians even though they always mind their p.c.-ness when they might offend muslim folk and homosexual organizations

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1223310' date='Mar 30 2007, 06:11 PM']I think making a chocolate statue of Christ is disrespectful and blasphemous.[/quote]
Bingo.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1223320' date='Mar 30 2007, 06:28 PM']what is most worisome "anatomically correct" what is that supposed to mean?[/quote]
Well, I think it's safe to say that the common euphemism probably applies to this case, too.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1223320' date='Mar 30 2007, 08:28 PM']what is most worisome "anatomically correct" what is that supposed to mean?[/quote]
All his naughty bits are in public.

dairygirl4u2c

and we all know those bits are naughty. evil. should not be seen nor spoke of, except for procreational purposes when we need to fulfill our duty to copulate. or wait...

why are we upset with this statute again?

Im noticing Catholics are blogging about this far more.

I think its just more sick liberal artists using religious symbols to shock people....so 1990...sheesh the art world has problems but thats a subject for another thread.

Course I think crucifixes are wrong, to show "Jesus" always hanging there dead, when Jesus is ALIVE and RISEN on the right hand of the father.

Hebrews 6:6 pretty much sums it up for me.

Why is Jesus always shown as being DEAD with his head slumped over on Catholic crucifixes, yes i know they have the rare ones of the "risen Lord" but the majority show Jesus dead and bloody...

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1223079' date='Mar 30 2007, 01:12 PM']here's something for you to get riled up over. enjoy.
reminds me of the indignancy of many at phatmass.[/quote]
Disgusting and sophomoric, but isn't this "shock artist" game of finding "clever" ways to offend Christians getting tired?

And dairygirl, what exactly is the point in posting this?

Do Christians getting "riled up" over blasphemy amuse you?

dairygirl4u2c

to be honest it does amuse me to a significant degree. so many trivial things get riled up over, so it's funny. though it's not trivial to you, i know. so i know it probably shouldn't, but it does amuse me soemwhat.

it wasn't just for amusement purposes. i was hoping to see debate, a reason why it's so wrong, even to a christian. i see lots of people assuming he's being malicious in intent. but if they don't have that assumption, what else do they have to be made about? almost creating a reason to be mad.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1223411' date='Mar 30 2007, 09:32 PM']to be honest it does amuse me to a significant degree. so many trivial things get riled up over, so it's funny. though it's not trivial to you, i know. so i know it probably shouldn't, but it does amuse me soemwhat.

it wasn't just for amusement purposes. i was hoping to see debate, a reason why it's so wrong, even to a christian. i see lots of people assuming he's being malicious in intent. but if they don't have that assumption, what else do they have to be made about? almost creating a reason to be mad.[/quote]
I think you already know - but just to provide you with more "amusement":

The statue/candy is obviously treating Christ in a very irreverent way. If you are not Christian, you may not find this offensive -but making a statue representing what billions consider to be Our Lord and Savior, and encouraging people to lick and nibble it (presumably, including the "naughty bits"), and then giving it the mocking title "My Sweet Lord" is definitely intended provoke and offend Christians.

If you cannot understand why people would possibly get offended at the deliberate mockery of what they hold most sacred, then I'm afraid you're beyond all understanding.

Christians consider Christ worthy of all honor and glory and worship, not to be the object of cheap crude humor.

Again, if this was being done with Mohammed to offend Muslims, would you find it so funny?

dairygirl4u2c

i'd find that funny too. i found the hat comic of muhammed funny. there isn't much that offends me though. i guess if you were to start posting dead bodies and babies and horrible things to them, and glorifying torture and such, i would be offended. things i don't even want to go to. which must be what you think of chocolate jesus? i simply do not understand. and yes i do consider myself a christian.
if someone were purposefully trying to offend me wihtout something worthy of being offended of in and of itself, beyond simply their malice, i wouldn't even humor htem with being offended. that's what seems to be going on here. except here it's not even clear it's meant to be offensive, yet people are offended anyway.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c