An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Church, Nwo, And Uu?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1225007' date='Apr 1 2007, 12:42 AM']Nope. People in Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism and Voodun see something of God, which is why they believe in a god... and they have elements of truth... but no the truth.[/quote]
:clapping:

Reality Mugged Me

Budge, I haven't been here in at least a year and you're still making the same arguments you were making when I left. Haven't you tired of it yet, or haven't you at least said everything on the topic that there is to say? I know I certainly have, but I guess I'll repeat it.

[quote]Everyone lit their lamps...[/quote]Ooh, sinister. Tell me, Budge, how long has a lit lamp or a candle been a symbol for Christ? If you answered since long before Unitarian Universalism, or even Unitarianism and Universalism separately, even existed, then you're correct. Christ himself said that he is the light of the world. What other symbol besides a lit lamp would you expect?

I would also add that light has long been a symbol for God. This was true in Judaism and it was true before Judaism. The fact that other religions can connect to that symbol is a good thing, not a bad thing. Just because religions are false doesn't mean that everything in them is false. God is calling even to those who believe in religions that aren't true and he has been doing it since the Fall. Are you really going to argue that there's something sinister about other religions recognizing the connection between God and light? This could be a point of evangelization for us. It could be a teaching moment about God and the light of truth that can be found in Christianity. Instead, you've turned it into a tactic to use against the Catholic Church. How sad. Do you really think that's what Christ would want? Do you really think this is what he meant when he commanded his followers to go out and spread the Gospel to all nations?

If we're being honest, I doubt that the Vatican even knows that the flame and chalice is a Unitarian Universalist symbol. Unitarian Universalism is an extremely small, mostly American denomination of secular humanism and pantheistic paganism. It has virtually nothing in common with the Catholic Church. I doubt that most Vatican officials have more than a cursory familiarity with Unitarian Universalism. Get a grip.

[quote]This poster sold by a Catholic organization..is quintessentially UU[/quote]
[b]Which[/b] Catholic organization?

I don't like the poster. I think it smacks of universalism, and it wouldn't surprise me if the so-called "Catholic" organization isn't all that Catholic after all. With that said, there is nothing wrong in principle with pointing out the similarities between the teachings of other religions and the Golden Rule as taught by Christ himself. Isn't it a [b]good thing[/b] when there is common ground between Christianity and other religions? Isn't such common ground an opportunity to evangelize? Isn't it good to be able to say, "Our God taught that. Let me tell you what else he taught..."? The fact is that Christ did teach the Golden Rule, and the fact is that other religions - some of which precede Christianity and some of which don't - have similar language in their teachings. So what? That's not evidence of some nefarious plot to meld all religions into one religion. That's evidence of a Holy Spirit who reaches out and touches every man, woman, and child on earth and instills in each person a basic sense of what it means to be a child of God. You're all but accusing God of being the anti-Christ.

[quote]The UU view of false religions is the same as Catholic.

you folks see "god' as exsisting in all of them.

I see them as Satan's lies led by his false spirits.[/quote]
This simply isn't true, and I think you know it. I could cite you document after document from recent Church teaching that totally repudiates the kind of syncretism and relativism that the Unitarian Universalist Association promotes. While you're accusing the Catholic Church of syncretism and relativism, other enemies are accusing us of not being syncretic enough, not being relativistic enough. Which is it? Are we horribly intolerant and exclusionary, or are we the relativist agents of the anti-Christ? We can't be both.

The teaching of the Church on other religions is that they can and often do contain elements of the truth, but none of them - not even Judaism - are fully true. The teaching of the Church is that only Christianity, and only Catholic Christianity at that, is fully true. The teaching of the Church is still that Christ is the only Savior, and that there is still only one name under heaven by which man can hope to be saved: the name of Jesus Christ. I know that you have been shown and shown again that this is true. I don't know why you won't believe it. Nobody's expecting you to suddenly convert to Catholicism, but one would think by now that you could at least admit that we're not agents of the anti-Christ working toward a one world religion. The only one world religion we're working toward is orthodox, biblical, traditional, Catholic Christianity.

KnightofChrist

Why does budge's post remind me of the question asked to Christ?

"Why doth your master eat and drink with publicans and sinners?!?"

Edited by KnightofChrist

I'd like to point out that maybe UU is copying the Roman Catholics. Didn't the RC's have the whole chalice thing before the UU was around? Makes sense to me that something called the Universal Unitariansism would copy things from as many religions as possible because it wants to be Universal. How incredibly stupid to think that if somebody evil is copying you, that you should stap that behavior.

If I heard that the UU collects money to feed the homeless by supporting a soup kitchen. I'll never give money to that soup kitchen again. Is that what I should do Budge?

[quote]

Nope. People in Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism and Voodun see something of God, which is why they believe in a god... and they have elements of truth... but no the truth.[/quote]You are wrong that they see "something of God". They are in false religions founded by Satan himself.

The idea that false religions have elements of truth is wrong too. Love in Buddhism is a totally different type of "love" then Christian love.
I will never agree with the Catholic view of other religions.

So wonder Catholic young people are leaving your church or simply not going, your watered down view of what you believe is "Christianity" doesnt really convict anyone. Why be Catholic if the elements of truth in other religions will save you?

[quote]
Are you really going to argue that there's something sinister about other religions recognizing the connection between God and light? This could be a point of evangelization for us. It could be a teaching moment about God and the light of truth that can be found in Christianity. Instead, you've turned it into a tactic to use against the Catholic Church. How sad. Do you really think that's what Christ would want? Do you really think this is what he meant when he commanded his followers to go out and spread the Gospel to all nations?[/quote]

All "light" is not what it seems. According to the above you could go celebrate the Hindu Festival of Lights and still be worshipping "God", this is how your church has lied to you and confused you.

2Cr 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

[quote]
If we're being honest, I doubt that the Vatican even knows that the flame and chalice is a Unitarian Universalist symbol. Unitarian Universalism is an extremely small, mostly American denomination of secular humanism and pantheistic paganism. It has virtually nothing in common with the Catholic Church. I doubt that most Vatican officials have more than a cursory familiarity with Unitarian Universalism. Get a grip.[/quote]Actually there is UUism that is predominant in Europe. It is not just limited to America.

You trying to tell me your erudite Vaticanists know nothing of Unitarianism, and Theosophy?

[quote]

Why does budge's post remind me of the question asked to Christ?

"Why doth your master eat and drink with publicans and sinners?!?"[/quote]

Christ taught them the gospel, not that they already held "truth"
[quote]I'd like to point out that maybe UU is copying the Roman Catholics. Didn't the RC's have the whole chalice thing before the UU was around? Makes sense to me that something called the Universal Unitariansism would copy things from as many religions as possible because it wants to be Universal. How incredibly stupid to think that if somebody evil is copying you, that you should stap that behavior.[/quote]

Mystery Babylon overlaps

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Budge' post='1225642' date='Apr 1 2007, 03:54 PM']You are wrong that they see "something of God". They are in false religions founded by Satan himself.

The idea that false religions have elements of truth is wrong too. Love in Buddhism is a totally different type of "love" then Christian love.
I will never agree with the Catholic view of other religions.[/quote]

I'm sure someone else has brought this up, but what do you think of St. Paul seeing that the Greeks had some of the truth (Acts 17:22-24), even though they didn't understand it? He praised them for being religious, for seeking out truth, and then told them what they were missing. That's what we're saying. Other religions are an attempt to reach out to God, and therefore most have some elements of truth (notice that many religions have similarities), but not the full truth. The bits of truth they have have been twisted by Satan, so you're correct in that, but that doesn't mean they have no truth. When we recognize that they do have some truth, we can reach out with the fullness of that truth, and help them in that.

I witness to unbeleivers all the time, even including a Wiccan yesteryday.

St. Paul pointed out things they were striving for, but did not have YET.

See the difference and HE ACTUALLY PREACHED the gospel to them.

When Rome pushes peace among all religions, they leave that part out.

I have yet to see the gospel actually preached at a Catholic interfaith pow-wow.

Reality Mugged Me

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1225636' date='Apr 1 2007, 10:29 AM']I'd like to point out that maybe UU is copying the Roman Catholics. Didn't the RC's have the whole chalice thing before the UU was around? Makes sense to me that something called the Universal Unitariansism would copy things from as many religions as possible because it wants to be Universal. How incredibly stupid to think that if somebody evil is copying you, that you should stap that behavior.

If I heard that the UU collects money to feed the homeless by supporting a soup kitchen. I'll never give money to that soup kitchen again. Is that what I should do Budge?[/quote]
You raise a good point here. Because Unitarian Universalism is an inherently syncretic religion - it has introduced absolutely nothing new, it has only created a synthesis of concepts from other religions and philosophies - it copies from many sources, including the Catholic Church. Christianity has been using light as a symbol for Christ since the very beginning, and prior to Christianity light was a symbol of God in Judaism and in a number of other pre-Christian religions. As for the chalice, it too has been in use by Christianity to hold the Precious Blood of Christ since long before Unitarian Universalism ever even existed.

As a side note, I would actually be cautious about giving money to anything a UU church gives money to - not because the organization they're giving to is necessarily bad, but because UU churches tend only to give their time and resources to liberal causes and organizations.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1225674' date='Apr 1 2007, 10:06 AM']When Rome pushes peace among all religions, they leave that part out.

I have yet to see the gospel actually preached at a Catholic interfaith pow-wow.[/quote]
You've probably never been to one.