An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music And Ties To The Consumer Culture

Citizen X

Popular music is hypnotizing the masses to buy into the current consumer culture. Popular songs on the radio are coded with subliminal messages that guide us into purchasing the newest trend, or amazing gadget.

Why have so many ran out and bought Ipods? Because the Music is telling them to! Its a way to tap into the minds of all of us, and persuade us to buy stuff.

Think about it.

yeah cause you know so many songs are like 'doowah doowah go buy a ipod doowah doowah!'

interesting fact: i do not have an ipod.

so there. :cool:

it's true.

That's why I bought an iPod, because music told me to.

And because I wanted music always with me.

:whistle:

I would start watching your purchases. If its stuff you wouldn't normally be interested in, I would switch off the Ipod. Fast.

If I was to buy an Ipod I'd pretty much load it with my old LPs (of choral music) that I've ripped and some Gregorian chant recordings... because they're filled with the messages saying "buy an ipod..." :drools:

Seriously, I think the only thing drawing people to buy ipods is boredom and/or greed.

Oh yeah... if you don't mind asking, what is your mission statement for being here? We all pretty much have one... I'm pretty much curious now... you're agenda seems random. Go figure.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1226634' date='Apr 1 2007, 11:33 PM']Seriously, I think the only thing drawing people to buy ipods is boredom and/or greed.[/quote]

or rediculous amounts of money laying around just randomly next to ipod advetisments

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1226639' date='Apr 1 2007, 09:35 PM']Oh yeah... if you don't mind asking, what is your mission statement for being here? We all pretty much have one... I'm pretty much curious now... you're agenda seems random. Go figure.[/quote]

Random keeps them from discovering my true mission.

Oops... too late...
I guessed you would say that.

You told me what I wanted to hear :detective:

Edited by Sacred Music Man

uh yeah dude thats pretty much the same thing...

... unless u know its like mission:impossible.....

*sings theme song while suspiciously darting around house sneaking up on cat and pet brother- i mean pet cat and brother*

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Citizen X' post='1226610' date='Apr 1 2007, 11:24 PM']Popular music is hypnotizing the masses to buy into the current consumer culture. Popular songs on the radio are coded with subliminal messages that guide us into purchasing the newest trend, or amazing gadget.

Why have so many ran out and bought Ipods? Because the Music is telling them to! Its a way to tap into the minds of all of us, and persuade us to buy stuff.[/quote]Or, it's a way for Cardinal Arinze to "tap into the minds of all of us." :)

[url="http://arinzewebcast.com/"]http://arinzewebcast.com/[/url]

:banana: :taco: :banana: :taco: :banana:

[quote name='Citizen X' post='1226629' date='Apr 1 2007, 09:32 PM']I would start watching your purchases. If its stuff you wouldn't normally be interested in, I would switch off the Ipod. Fast.[/quote]
I will be careful.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1226634' date='Apr 1 2007, 09:33 PM']Seriously, I think the only thing drawing people to buy ipods is boredom and/or greed.[/quote]
Actually I got it so I could not have to lug around my portable CD player when working out. And with the speakers it is a much more compact, portable system overall. Since I'm going to be moving a lot over the next few years I am trying to be as compact as possible.

And because the music told me too.