An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blades Of Glory

kujo

So I just got in from seeing Will Ferrell's new classic "Blades of Glory." And, I gotta say, it was HILARIOUS! Ferrell's usual uber-machisimo meets near-moron was riotous as usual and Jon Heder played the straight-man pretty darn well (I usually despise this dude but he was pretty good in this movie). Awesome movie....4 stars!!!

Classic line:
"I think I see the Virgin Mary."
"No. That's not her."

[quote name='Didymus' post='1227015' date='Apr 2 2007, 11:42 AM']How appropriate was it? I'd really like to see it, and I was hoping it was a good one, but I dont know.[/quote]

There's a bit of profanity (nothing too bad). But there is kind of a lot of sexual humor, mostly verbal, although the premise of the movie (2 men dancing as a pair) lends itself to the a few obvious homosexual jokes. All in all, if you can handle Anchorman, this will be no problem.

Proud2BCatholic139

Oh, man, does it top Talledegga Nights? Because that movie was hilarious....

I am normally not a Will Ferrell fan, but this movie does look funny. I don't know :idontknow:

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1227142' date='Apr 2 2007, 01:41 PM']Oh, man, does it top Talledegga Nights? Because that movie was hilarious....[/quote]

See, here's the thing about Talladega Nights...

The first time I saw it, I thought that it was pretty lame. I mean, aside from a few pretty good jokes, I didn't really find it funny; however, I got snowed in this winter while visiting some family in New York, and all we had was home movies and Talladega Nights. So my cousins and I watched it like 3 or 4 times and it was then that I realized how CLASSIC it was. I mean, little things that I didn't think were funny now were excellent ("I wake up in the morning and I p*ss excellence!"). So, Talladega Nights went from like a C- to a B+.

Blades of Glory was INSTANTANEOUSLY great. I laughed hysterically at so many parts that I can't remember a lot of them (the way a Will Ferrell movie [i]should[/i] be). I can't wait to see it multiple times to pick up the stuff that got lost in the fold. This movie was definitely an A.

And, to be clear on the grades for the rest of his recent movies:
Anchorman= A+
Elf= B-
Kicking and Screaming= B-
Talladega Nights= B+
Stranger than Fiction= A (if you didn't see this, you should....Ferrell is amazing...)
Blades of Glory= A

[quote name='kujo' post='1227263' date='Apr 2 2007, 02:23 PM']And, to be clear on the grades for the rest of his recent movies:
Anchorman= A+
Elf= B-
Talladega Nights= B+
Stranger than Fiction= A (if you didn't see this, you should....Ferrell is amazing...)
Blades of Glory= A[/quote]

I would go with....
Anchorman= B+
Elf= A+++
Talladega Nights= B+
Blades of Glory= A

Proud2BCatholic139

[quote name='kujo' post='1227263' date='Apr 2 2007, 02:23 PM']See, here's the thing about Talladega Nights...

The first time I saw it, I thought that it was pretty lame. I mean, aside from a few pretty good jokes, I didn't really find it funny; however, I got snowed in this winter while visiting some family in New York, and all we had was home movies and Talladega Nights. So my cousins and I watched it like 3 or 4 times and it was then that I realized how CLASSIC it was. I mean, little things that I didn't think were funny now were excellent ("I wake up in the morning and I p*ss excellence!"). So, Talladega Nights went from like a C- to a B+.

Blades of Glory was INSTANTANEOUSLY great. I laughed hysterically at so many parts that I can't remember a lot of them (the way a Will Ferrell movie [i]should[/i] be). I can't wait to see it multiple times to pick up the stuff that got lost in the fold. This movie was definitely an A.

And, to be clear on the grades for the rest of his recent movies:
Anchorman= A+
Elf= B-
Talladega Nights= B+
Blades of Glory= A[/quote]

I was on the verge of peeing my pants because I was laughing so hard...I want to see that movie again.

I want to see Stranger than Fiction. That does look good!

[quote name='Proud2BCatholic139' post='1227282' date='Apr 2 2007, 04:03 PM']I was on the verge of peeing my pants because I was laughing so hard...I want to see that movie again.

I want to see Stranger than Fiction. That does look good![/quote]

[u]Stranger than Fiction [/u]was pretty awesome. Very un-Ferrell. It's like Jim Carrey in [u]Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind.[/u]

[quote name='the jUiCER' post='1227279' date='Apr 2 2007, 03:55 PM']I would go with....
Anchorman= B+[/quote]

[u]Anchorman[/u] was the funniest movie I've ever seen.

Dan and Kyle from Popple, Miko, Moses the Black, Apollo, Sammy Blaze and myself all saw this movie together.

I give it a B+.

The profanity, in my opinion, should have made this an R rating, and am surprised that it is only PG-13.

It was no Caddyshack, but still very funny. It does have the best ending that I've seen in a movie for over 12 years.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1227456' date='Apr 2 2007, 07:04 PM']Dan and Kyle from Popple, Miko, Moses the Black, Apollo, Sammy Blaze and myself all saw this movie together.

I give it a B+.

The profanity, in my opinion, should have made this an R rating, and am surprised that it is only PG-13.

It was no Caddyshack, but still very funny. It does have the best ending that I've seen in a movie for over 12 years.[/quote]

Agreed. The profanity (especially taking the Lord's name in vain) was pretty excessive. And the ending....priceless. Simply priceless...