An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment: Don't Wait For Your Sign

sismaria

I've been reading some old books on vocations from the 1950's and I came upon an interesting quote from Archbishop Cushing from Boston (who later became Cardinal Cushing). He makes discernment a little easier than most of us make it today. I've been a sister for over 20 years and I must say I think it was easier to come to a vocation when I was younger, too. Today the process seems so complicated, within in depth analysis and trying to sense exactly what God wants. We just went when the idea suggested itself and our generosity responded.

I'll give you Cardinal Cushing's thoughts and let me know what you think of it. He basically says if you've got what it takes to serve the Lord in a vocation (including an inclination toward prayer and a desire to serve God), go for it. (He adds later in the article that if it is not God's will, the Church, through your superiors will let you know.)

(He began speaking of the great need for priests. I've changed the quote to apply to priests and sisters.)
Why do they not go? Why, indeed? They can become priests and sisters if they wish; if they love Christ sufficiently; if they have a proper esteem for the value of human souls. This doctrine many seem strange and new to many good and generous young men and women. Perhaps many of you are saying, "If God wants me to become a priest or sister, He will indicate His will by an internal inspiration, by some holy attraction, by some interior call to become a priest or sister." This is not true. God does not bring men and women to His service by this means. His plan is much simpler. He leaves the matter in your hands to a far greater extent than this.... It all amounts to this. If you have average intelligence, a docile and open disposition, good solid piety, a desire to serve God and souls, you can become a priest or sister--if you wish. You may not be bound to do so, but you can do so. If you become a priest or sister, it will be a free gift. He will not draft you into service. You have the choice. It is for you to take it or leave it." (Cardinal Cushing)

Speaking of all the psychological testing done these days, a Cluniac Benedictine hermit of my acquaintance was told by a "liberated" active sister-psychologist that she was "just really in love with the religious life and didn't have a vocation."

Nuff said.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Gemma' post='1228275' date='Apr 3 2007, 10:16 AM']Speaking of all the psychological testing done these days, a Cluniac Benedictine hermit of my acquaintance was told by a "liberated" active sister-psychologist that she was "just really in love with the religious life and didn't have a vocation."

Nuff said.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

and attitudes like that on behalf of the liberated sister may well be part of the cause of the "vocations crisis"

cathoholic_anonymous

Psychological testing is not infallible, which is why communities never base their decision solely on the psychologists' reports, but I do think that it has a valuable place in discernment.

The quote I shared isn't at all about psychological testing. It's about discerning your own vocation in a simple way, being open to God's will by following the signs that lead you to His service with generosity.

[quote name='sismaria' post='1228834' date='Apr 3 2007, 06:04 PM']The quote I shared isn't at all about psychological testing. It's about discerning your own vocation in a simple way, being open to God's will by following the signs that lead you to His service with generosity.[/quote]
I think the quote from Cardinal Cushing highlights how God's very grace works through [b]US[/b]--through human beings. (It is very true that God's grace works in and through all that He created, through signs and wonders.) There is a fearlessness in Cardinal Cushing's words that I think fall very much in line with what our Holy Father JPII told the youth of the third millenium: DO NOT BE AFRAID.

[quote name='Gemma' post='1228275' date='Apr 3 2007, 09:16 AM']Speaking of all the psychological testing done these days, a Cluniac Benedictine hermit of my acquaintance was told by a "liberated" active sister-psychologist that she was "just really in love with the religious life and didn't have a vocation."[/quote]
Psychology has really given us a great help in telling us more about human development (for example, our brain isn't fully developed until we're in our 30s!). And as an individual who has undergone psychological testing as part of a psychology course, and would thus be able to have that requirement "fulfilled" if I were to apply to a religious community, I think these tests can be very helpful in learning about living in community and learning more about who I am as a person.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='shortnun' post='1228885' date='Apr 4 2007, 09:06 AM']I think the quote from Cardinal Cushing highlights how God's very grace works through [b]US[/b]--through human beings. (It is very true that God's grace works in and through all that He created, through signs and wonders.) There is a fearlessness in Cardinal Cushing's words that I think fall very much in line with what our Holy Father JPII told the youth of the third millenium: DO NOT BE AFRAID.
Psychology has really given us a great help in telling us more about human development (for example, our brain isn't fully developed until we're in our 30s!). And as an individual who has undergone psychological testing as part of a psychology course, and would thus be able to have that requirement "fulfilled" if I were to apply to a religious community, I think these tests can be very helpful in learning about living in community and learning more about who I am as a person.[/quote]

Like everything, psychology needs to be taken in moderation. If St Therese the Little Flower had to undergo psychological testing when she entered the convent, they might have told her that her brain wasn't fully developed enough yet :rolleyes: or that she was too intense etc....

It is great to use tools to aid in ascertaining mental illness, but many saints were so consumed by the love of God that in today's psychological world, they might be considered "unstable". Just a thought.
:blink:

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='sismaria' post='1228834' date='Apr 3 2007, 05:04 PM']The quote I shared isn't at all about psychological testing. It's about discerning your own vocation in a simple way, being open to God's will by following the signs that lead you to His service with generosity.[/quote]

I agree with the quote entirely. I never had a sign from heaven or received a clear inspiration from God, and while sometimes I sure wish I would get something like that, I also understand that isn't the point. The Church is in need of people who are willing to give everything in service, that is all the "call" that anyone needs. If an individual thinks that he or she can open their heart and answer such a call, that is a vocation. Nothing else is needed and anything more is just extra.

I agree with the late Cardinal's quote also. I think the thread digressed into a discussion on psychological testing/fitness for religious life because it is possible to meet those simple requirements and yet have some significant baggage that may make it difficult in the long run to persevere.
When it comes to making major and not so major life decisions, (what kind of car, house, college, etc.,), some of us are just more prone to sweating the details. What the Cardinal seems to say is that pursuing a religious vocation isn't as complicated as we sometimes can make it.
God bless you all and have a glorious Easter!

I think the idea of psychological evaluations is kind of humorous. While I agree that it can be valuable in discerning the mental state of the "subject," I think it's kind of interesting that we are not interested in people that are anything other than mediocre, or what we call "normal" or "sane." If "normal" were the criteria for being a saint, Heaven would be breaking at the seams, and the Little Flower would be in Hell. :) (I'm being a bit facetious of course, but you get it)

About the quote, I think it's a good and interesting one. It would be cool to see the different theological speculation concerning vocations. If they're written on the heart of Christ for you to truly discern, or if it is more up to you, and Christ is pleased in whatever way, as the good Cardinal seems to be indicating. I'm more inclined to hope and believe in the former, but the latter would be fun too.

Edited by DAF

I'm smiling because I just came across my copy of Psychological Eval results while throwing stuff out. Apparantly I'm a balanced person with a "very strong sense of identity.' What do you think that means? I think it may have to do with the fact that while I was willing to do the eval, I was unwilling to speak about my spiritual life in detail to the psychologist. I referred her to Mother M. Wendy on that. We used the local Archdiocesan folks where I lived for an eval and I didn't have a problem but apparently did and they told M. Wendy I wasn't totally open to them. I understand she laughed and told them I was an independant young woman so what did they expect. Cheers. :lol_roll:

AlterDominicus

"Simply" well said! Thanks for sharing this Sister Maria. That is the conclusion I am coming to in my discernment, granted I've received alot of signs and confirmation, I think its just more simply the fact, I am going to go for it! You'll never know if you dont try or "go for it" - Jesus is waiting for me! And I want to go to my Beloved! I cannot resist His love any longer!

:iloveyou: :iloveyou: :iloveyou: Jesus! :iloveyou: :iloveyou: :iloveyou:

I don't know where I stand on the psych. eval... It seems like a pre-entrance aspirancy would be enough experience with the discerner for the community to know her psychological state of health, but I could be wrong. I didn't have one, needless to say, before I entered OLAM. But I guess if I needed to take one I would want to look around for a Catholic organization I could trust to give me the evaluation. ^_^

onlygrace08

Along the same line as the Cardinal's quote, I read somewhere (I don't really remember where.... so many resources for vocations online) that St. John Bosco once said that he thought that as many as 1/3 of people have a calling to the relgious life/priesthood. It kinda made me think that perhaps a calling to that state isn't so rare... that really the responding to that call is the rare thing...

Chiquitunga

Regarding the psych. eval, the Iron Mountain Carmel sends applicants to Dr. Richard Fitzgibbons, who is often on EWTN I believe. He's a solid Catholic and understands and supports the contemplative vocation. That's why they send applicants only to him. The couple sisters I spoke to there said it was not difficult at all, just that you have to travel to where he is, on the East coast or PA I believe.

I haven't run across any other Carmel yet that requires this. I wouldn't mind it though. It's good that they send people only to one they know and trust. And I don't know think he'd find someone crazy for being totally obsessed with God! :D (so that's good)

Edited by Margaret Clare