An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment: Don't Wait For Your Sign

sismaria

johnnydigit

[quote name='sismaria' post='1228257' date='Apr 3 2007, 06:58 AM']He basically says if you've got what it takes to serve the Lord in a vocation (including an inclination toward prayer and a desire to serve God), go for it. (He adds later in the article that if it is not God's will, the Church, through your superiors will let you know.)[/quote]

i've been discerning for about 2 years now, and this is the conclusion i'm coming to now. it just seems like in an ideal world, most of us would be religious. (a saint said in an ideal world, 85% would be religious, while the remaining propagated the species).

so it's like, if you even think you can handle it, go try it. in today's world, 99% of the people would simply answer, "No way! I can't. I just could not live like that. Sorry, God!"

so with me, i guess it is unique that i can say, "sure i can handle it." i just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure. i'm fine with a small corner, some bread, water, and helping people all day. i'm happy praying and serving the Lord. but it's so hard in today's world. i don't have my degree yet. i love snowboarding. i love having a free schedule. i love doing fun things and having cool stuff. i love girls! but i know i don't need them. there're lot's of pressures from family/peers. religious life is not very honorable in today's society. what if, what if!

sooo, when i sense someone who really loves God, i tell them to just try it! but of course it's "different" when it comes to taking my own advice..

AccountDeleted

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1243902' date='Apr 15 2007, 02:18 PM']i've been discerning for about 2 years now, and this is the conclusion i'm coming to now. it just seems like in an ideal world, most of us would be religious. (a saint said in an ideal world, 85% would be religious, while the remaining propagated the species).

so it's like, if you even think you can handle it, go try it. in today's world, 99% of the people would simply answer, "No way! I can't. I just could not live like that. Sorry, God!"

so with me, i guess it is unique that i can say, "sure i can handle it." i just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure. i'm fine with a small corner, some bread, water, and helping people all day. i'm happy praying and serving the Lord. but it's so hard in today's world. i don't have my degree yet. i love snowboarding. i love having a free schedule. i love doing fun things and having cool stuff. i love girls! but i know i don't need them. there're lot's of pressures from family/peers. religious life is not very honorable in today's society. what if, what if!

sooo, when i sense someone who really loves God, i tell them to just try it! but of course it's "different" when it comes to taking my own advice..[/quote]

None of us are very good when it comes to taking our own advice! So don't be too hard on yourself. Following Christ is not an easy path, or everyone would do it. What did He say about it being harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle? That is a pretty tough statement. The world today offers riches beyond belief in terms of desires. To give up all that is being offered to follow the narrow way is a challenge. But He also said that if we had faith the size of a mustard seed, we could move mountains. When something seems to be almost impossible - then I pray to Jesus in faith and let Him take care of it.

If you can't follow your own advice, ask Jesus to do it for you. Then trust that He will. God bless you.

johnnydigit

[quote name='nunsense' post='1244205' date='Apr 15 2007, 08:23 AM']The world today offers riches beyond belief in terms of desires.[/quote]

that is really resonating in my mind, thank you. happy divine mercy sunday everyone!

[quote name='onlygrace08' post='1238244' date='Apr 10 2007, 10:56 PM']Along the same line as the Cardinal's quote, I read somewhere (I don't really remember where.... so many resources for vocations online) that St. John Bosco once said that he thought that as many as 1/3 of people have a calling to the relgious life/priesthood. It kinda made me think that perhaps a calling to that state isn't so rare... that really the responding to that call is the rare thing...[/quote]

In my experience as a teacher and reflecting on the young people I have known, I don't think the majority of people are called to a special vocation in the Church. But in every class I've taught, I've sensed one or two or three of them who seemed to have a special grace and inclination toward the things of God...that would be about 10%, a tithe set apart for the Lord. Of course, far fewer than even 10% of Catholic young people even consider the vocation to the priesthood or religious life. Many are called, but as you said very wisely, it is "really the responding to that call is the rare thing" expecially in our society. Even for deeply spiritual young women it is difficult to give up having one's own husband and one's own children for the sake of loving completely God and his children. Religious life is a very selfless life (though very blessed) but in our society selflessness is not a well developed virtue.

johnnydigit

[quote name='sismaria' post='1244507' date='Apr 15 2007, 12:39 PM']In my experience as a teacher and reflecting on the young people I have known, I don't think the majority of people are called to a special vocation in the Church. But in every class I've taught, I've sensed one or two or three of them who seemed to have a special grace and inclination toward the things of God...that would be about 10%, a tithe set apart for the Lord.[/quote]

perhaps there is a potential inclination, or hidden disposition that hasn't been revealed yet by many of them? (i'm just looking at the glass half full :))

maybe they need a really good retreat to get them out of their shell. i know i was really searching for general answers until i made a really good one, otherwise you wouldn't have expected it from me at all. i'm always surprised by the results we get from working on confirmation retreats with highschoolers and young adult retreats. so many hearts of stone.. my peers and this generation, it's like we're all scared, angry children inside isolated by tall walls..

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1244538' date='Apr 15 2007, 03:22 PM']perhaps there is a potential inclination, or hidden disposition that hasn't been revealed yet by many of them? (i'm just looking at the glass half full :))

maybe they need a really good retreat to get them out of their shell. i know i was really searching for general answers until i made a really good one, otherwise you wouldn't have expected it from me at all. i'm always surprised by the results we get from working on confirmation retreats with highschoolers and young adult retreats. so many hearts of stone.. my peers and this generation, it's like we're all scared, angry children inside isolated by tall walls..[/quote]

When I'm teaching children for a full year, it is rather like a stirring situation such as a retreat. all the children become excited about the Bible, the saints and prayer, and yet there are some who are particularly graced and responsive in the situation. I do think that in those that are called to this special vocation, there is an inclination toward the spiritual. In our society that sense of call can become hardened and hidden, but in my classroom there was a particularly vocation nurturing atmosphere. All sensed the call to holiness, but there are some who are inclined toward more. The inclination, and the call, are there, but many will not recognize it within themselves. That is why Cardinal Cushing encourages all who have that generosity of spirit which can live such a life of love to embrace it.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Thanks for posting this thread. As I was reading through all the posts, I was reminded of something that an elderly Discalced Carmalite priest at Holy Hill told me this past August when I asked him what I should do regarding my vocation. He told me that there is only so much that can be done before just doing it, just throwing myself onto God's Will and seeing where He takes me. I've been discerning the priesthood for 3 years now, and I honestly think that I need to give it a try. Now the question for me becomes do I pursue going to Steubenville for 4 years of college, or do I apply to college seminary after next year? :idontknow: I've got a lot to talk to my spiritual director about, it seems.

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

johnnydigit

[quote name='NazFarmer' post='1244858' date='Apr 15 2007, 05:53 PM']Thanks for posting this thread. As I was reading through all the posts, I was reminded of something that an elderly Discalced Carmalite priest at Holy Hill told me this past August when I asked him what I should do regarding my vocation. He told me that there is only so much that can be done before just doing it, just throwing myself onto God's Will and seeing where He takes me. I've been discerning the priesthood for 3 years now, and I honestly think that I need to give it a try. Now the question for me becomes do I pursue going to Steubenville for 4 years of college, or do I apply to college seminary after next year? :idontknow: I've got a lot to talk to my spiritual director about, it seems.

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe[/quote]

i'm kind of in the same boat. i have about 2-3 years left. whether you enter or not, a degree is needed. so for now i'm just sitting on my hands in torment until i receive my diploma.

if i could afford to go to steubenville, i'd be there in a second.