An Old School Catholic Message Board

Suggestions Please?

SisterAli

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1273013' date='May 14 2007, 11:40 AM']:lol: my dad's silly. :rolleyes: he's glad about your vocation though!! it's really awesome. you are so blessed to finally find a community you feel completely peaceful at! thanks a lot for the links...i will definitely check BOTH out! :) if you need anything or just want to talk, my PM is always open![/quote]

Peace! Yer dad is a goofball! Hehee, you can tell him I said that too! You are totally welcome for the links! I think...eventually after I start working again I'm gonna have to come down and see ya'll!!! Lauren and yer dad have been pushing for that hehe! Definately check out the websites....good stuff :)

It is for sure such a blessing to know God's will for my life! I was soooooooo excited and sad at the same time to leave! Excited...b/c I can proclaim to the rooftops what I'm doing....and preach the TRUTH, at the same time...I really wanted to throw my sleeping bag on the mountain and hide out there!

If you need anything too...I'm always here! My prayers always!

[quote name='Staretz' post='1273018' date='May 14 2007, 11:49 AM']Sounds like a good schedule. So, when are you starting your countdown? :)[/quote]

It's a beautiful schedule.....we say...we feed our SOULS first and then our BODIES! Our schedule revolves around our prayer life and THEN our apostulate!

Well.......either September of this year or next I don't know for sure!!!!!!!! I have a few things to work through...so if you could pray for me....that would be great!

[quote name='Ora et Labora' post='1273019' date='May 14 2007, 11:50 AM']i think she said either this september, or next. :)[/quote]

You got it!

What wonderful news!! Congratulations on finding some answers to your search. I have a couple practical questions...they dont sleep on beds? Looks like you had a sleeping bag in your room. And how do you kneel/sit or what ever on those, well whatever do you call them, in the chapel? You know I am in my fifties, and I know sitting/kneeling on that would never work for me!!! Just wondering, and I am not belittle ing, just trying to understand.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1273062' date='May 14 2007, 12:46 PM']What wonderful news!! Congratulations on finding some answers to your search. I have a couple practical questions...they dont sleep on beds? Looks like you had a sleeping bag in your room. And how do you kneel/sit or what ever on those, well whatever do you call them, in the chapel? You know I am in my fifties, and I know sitting/kneeling on that would never work for me!!! Just wondering, and I am not belittle ing, just trying to understand.[/quote]

Peace! I love questions :) It's okay I understand! The Capuchin Sisters....as part of there poverty...do not sleep on beds....you sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag. Part of this comes from St. Francis too how him and his brothers didn't have beds they just slept wherever. Those *things* in the chapel are called prayer stools :) Basically if you are in a Church that has pews...and if you are kneeling and you lean back a bit and put your bottom on the pew while you are still kneeling thats how those things work...its hard to explain without seeing a picture of it or if you are sitting in a chair you can sit like that too, but it just doesn't have a back to it :) If we are kneeling on our knees its on the wooden floor. The Superior of the community is in her 50's and she does it :)

Thank you Allie, like I said, am trying only to gain knowledge, not put down the customs. I find it all very interesting. Am rejoicing that you feel so strongly about this community. Sounds like you were challenged arriving, I, too, just flew out of Philly International, and was very lucky to have an on time flight(very rare in this day and age!!). I loved your photos, seems like quite a peaceful area.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1273078' date='May 14 2007, 01:08 PM']Thank you Allie, like I said, am trying only to gain knowledge, not put down the customs. I find it all very interesting. Am rejoicing that you feel so strongly about this community. Sounds like you were challenged arriving, I, too, just flew out of Philly International, and was very lucky to have an on time flight(very rare in this day and age!!). I loved your photos, seems like quite a peaceful area.[/quote]

Peace!

Yes a BIG challenge arriving! Oh boy was the Lord testing me! Also...when I left....my plane was delayed for about 20 minutes....which it was crazy because it was 80 degrees and clear skies lol! It's a very peaceful area ...very very!

I too am rejoicing!

Congrats, Allie! Sounds like you had a most blessed time with the sisters!

About those prayer stools - some of our sisters from the Korean province like to use them. They are comfortable, really. (^_^)

peace and blessings to you,

sr betsy :)

I am soooo Happy for you Ali, :clap:
It is such a wonderful feeling to be accepted to a community :cloud9: . I noticed since my acceptance that all the lights are green :luigi: and every time I pray to st.Anthoney I find whatever it is I am looking for right away :detective: . May be I just dont care about the lights or what I am looking for :woot: but I am sure yall know what I am talking about :twothumbsup: ....Don't you? :huh:

[quote name='sr_betsy' post='1273102' date='May 14 2007, 02:01 PM']Congrats, Allie! Sounds like you had a most blessed time with the sisters!

About those prayer stools - some of our sisters from the Korean province like to use them. They are comfortable, really. (^_^)

peace and blessings to you,
sr betsy :)[/quote]

Peace!

Thank you!!!!!!!! YES those prayer stools are actually quite amazingly comfortable!

[quote name='Rose_of_Sharon' post='1273106' date='May 14 2007, 02:06 PM']I am soooo Happy for you Ali, :clap:
It is such a wonderful feeling to be accepted to a community :cloud9: . I noticed since my acceptance that all the lights are green :luigi: and every time I pray to st.Anthoney I find whatever it is I am looking for right away :detective: . May be I just dont care about the lights or what I am looking for :woot: but I am sure yall know what I am talking about :twothumbsup: ....Don't you? :huh:[/quote]

Peace!
Funny you mention St. Anthony, He is my favorite saint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes all the lights are green hehehehe. I'm just goin' with the flow right now...which is VERY Franciscan! :) :) :)

Edited by SisterAli

cathoholic_anonymous

I love prayer stools. They are so comfortable. I'd like one of my own.

(And in Carmel they'd better give me one... <_< )

Allie, I'm glad your visit went so well for you. Tell us more about their apostolate and what part of it attracts you, as it seems very different from the other two communities you've looked at recently.
I lived in Pennsylvania for most of my childhood and in my opinion it is one of the most naturally beautiful states in the USA. I hope that this is the place for you at last! I don't know much about these Capuchin Sisters, but I'm learning fast! Sorry you had such a long layover in Philly, you would have endured it better if you'd had an authentic cheesesteak and Coke from South Philly :drool: .

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1273246' date='May 14 2007, 04:37 PM']I love prayer stools. They are so comfortable. I'd like one of my own.

(And in Carmel they'd better give me one... <_< )[/quote]

Oh! Where are you entering!! And it WOULD be cool to have one. ^_^

[quote name='stlmom' post='1273281' date='May 14 2007, 05:04 PM']Allie, I'm glad your visit went so well for you. Tell us more about their apostolate and what part of it attracts you, as it seems very different from the other two communities you've looked at recently.
I lived in Pennsylvania for most of my childhood and in my opinion it is one of the most naturally beautiful states in the USA. I hope that this is the place for you at last! I don't know much about these Capuchin Sisters, but I'm learning fast! Sorry you had such a long layover in Philly, you would have endured it better if you'd had an authentic cheesesteak and Coke from South Philly :drool: .[/quote]

I would have to agree with you that PA is one of the most naturally beautiful states in the USA. I took a picture and was looking at it on the computer I was like wow...it looks fake that it looks so REAL! Lol....cheesesteak....I dunno about that one....

There active ministry is very beautiful. They do it periodically but not a ton, because the Capuchins are contemplatives mainly, but only with a little bit of active. With there ministry which I too got to experience while I was there....They do parish missions, give youth retreats (confirmation), visit prisions, visit people in their homes, a day of recollection, and also high school retreat and college age retreat at their convent for those discerning a call to religious life or the possiblity. Here's a little excerpt from their website:

As contemplatives in action, the sisters' love for God overflows to His materially and spiritually poor ones by means of evangelization in parish missions, retreat and youth ministry, catechesis and home visits. Bringing the fruit of their prayer and communal life into the world, the sisters promote to all whom they encounter the teachings of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. They also strive to foster a greater love in the Church for Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament as well as greater devotion to our Blessed Mother, Mary. A parish mission with the Sisters leaves the people with an unforgettable experience of God's loving presence. The Sisters often conduct missions along with Fr. Pio Mandato (this priest is actually related to Padre Pio, Padre Pio told the Father's son to name him Franceso Pio :) During a typical mission, some of the Sisters will minister through music and lead the Congregation in singing praises to Our Lord. Other Sisters will give inspiring talks and some may give a special conference geared toward young people.

When they do their active ministry when it is a parish mission or retreat of some sort....they have Jesus exposed in the Blessed Sacrament..which is beautiful...it's to show the people that...we as Capuchins are not doing this work, rather it is the Lord that is speaking through us...and only Jesus...can heal, etc...and often will provide the music for the retreat.

From there constitutions on prayer: "The Eucharist is the "beating heart" of the convent where the brides are in union with their Bridegoom and their prayers continually "burn on the altar of their hearts". Here the bride is made one with her Spouse."
(Constitutions)

Another thing I should also add is...they rely totally on God's Providence, meaning....they don't receive money for anything, everything is donated even the food...and the money for the bills to pay. They won't accept money unless there is a need for it. It's amazing how much food they have...considering they don't buy any of it.

I hope this helps some! Ahhh, I'm in love. :love:

Allie

[quote name='Rose_of_Sharon' post='1273321' date='May 14 2007, 05:32 PM']:dance: :dancer2: :dancer1: :dancer2: :dancer1: :dancer2::dancer1: :breakdance: :banana: :banana: :clapping: :clap: Gotta Luv Fransican :birds: and St .Anthoney :saint:[/quote]

I LOVE ST. ANTHONY...........He's my BUDDY! He and I talk everyday :) And no...not cause I loose things that often, but rather because....He just is my FAVORITE! Franciscans rock my SOCKS OFF!!!!!!!! :lol_roll: :drool: :sweat: :yahoo: :cloud9: :love:

Ora et Labora

so, are they always that busy??? :blink:

:lol: sorry, it sounds wrong...but the schedule you gave me sounds like they usually have that schedule. is that true?