Falcon Posted May 30, 2007 Posted May 30, 2007 I am now a 4th degree Sir Knight of Columbus. Looking forwards to joining the Color Corp.
Paladin D Posted May 30, 2007 Author Posted May 30, 2007 [quote name='Falcon' post='1284213' date='May 30 2007, 11:06 AM']I am now a 4th degree Sir Knight of Columbus. Looking forwards to joining the Color Corp.[/quote] Congratulations, Sir Knight!
Paladin D Posted May 30, 2007 Author Posted May 30, 2007 (edited) [quote name='prose' post='1237582' date='Apr 10 2007, 11:03 AM']Badges? Like brownies? No offense, but that sounds kinda geeky. And I wasn't complaining that it is fraternal. I think men need places they can go talk to other boys. Some sort of primal instinct.[/quote] Well all Knights have badges (nametags, I just call them badges). The Knight's wives get the samething but it's a different color usually to distinct from the two, and they're called "Columbianites". They aren't official members of the KofC, they can't attend the meetings, nor hold any leadership responsibilities, nor vote on any Knight-related issues, and etc. They're great aids who volunteer to help us out when we don't have enough hands. So yeah, the guys hang with the guys, but every now and then if really need the help and we're short on hands, the girls step up to the challenge. Edited May 30, 2007 by Paladin D
Paladin D Posted May 31, 2007 Author Posted May 31, 2007 [quote name='SJP' post='1284435' date='May 30 2007, 04:08 PM']I just completed my 2nd degree last weekend![/quote] Awesome SJP, wait till you hit 3rd degree, it gets better! (4th is the most beautiful out of all of them). Hopefully in the future we'll upgrade our uniforms, considering the world is becoming a more hostile place. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/PaladinD/KofCTrooper.jpg[/img]
CajunPirate Posted May 31, 2007 Posted May 31, 2007 Sugar Land TX, Council 4204 (Sadly, I had to look that up, but I've been gone for college, so it's okay...right?)
Paladin D Posted May 31, 2007 Author Posted May 31, 2007 (edited) [quote name='CajunPirate' post='1285011' date='May 31 2007, 03:39 AM']Sugar Land TX, Council 4204 (Sadly, I had to look that up, but I've been gone for college, so it's okay...right?)[/quote] Welcome to Phatmass, brother Knight! You're cool. There's a lot of Knights who forget the number of their council. Edited May 31, 2007 by Paladin D
Falcon Posted June 1, 2007 Posted June 1, 2007 I am nom inated for DGK for my council for the next year. Speaking with the GK we want to get the ladies back into the council to help out. My wife found the columinettes (sp) and she even love the idea of being involved as I am. She accepts that she is NOT a Knight and is also VERY proud that I am. She helps with hall rentals, coat check and bartending at times. WE will never say NO to someone who wants to help us help others. SJP, the 1 and 2 are very nice degrees. The 3rd rocks and the 4th is the most beautiful. I encourage you to make all 4. I even bought my own tux for it. I am involved in all 3 as degree team members and I am planning to join the Color Corp.
Falcon Posted June 1, 2007 Posted June 1, 2007 [quote name='prose' post='1237582' date='Apr 10 2007, 09:03 AM']Badges? Like brownies? No offense, but that sounds kinda geeky. And I wasn't complaining that it is fraternal. I think men need places they can go talk to other boys. Some sort of primal instinct.[/quote] You know I have been called a lot of names but this comment hurts. We may sound geeky but we do oh so much. No other group does as much as The Knights of COlumbus for Anti-Abortion. No other organization gave out so much money so quick after 9/11 then the Knights of COlumbus. BTW, we gave the money to the familes off fallen fire/police despite religious connections. Shall I go on? NEver think of us as a group of guys who need a place/excuse to drink and wear goofy hats. We CARE for others.
Paladin D Posted June 1, 2007 Author Posted June 1, 2007 [quote name='Falcon' post='1285770' date='Jun 1 2007, 11:30 AM']I am nom inated for DGK for my council for the next year. Speaking with the GK we want to get the ladies back into the council to help out. My wife found the columinettes (sp) and she even love the idea of being involved as I am. She accepts that she is NOT a Knight and is also VERY proud that I am. She helps with hall rentals, coat check and bartending at times. WE will never say NO to someone who wants to help us help others. SJP, the 1 and 2 are very nice degrees. The 3rd rocks and the 4th is the most beautiful. I encourage you to make all 4. I even bought my own tux for it. I am involved in all 3 as degree team members and I am planning to join the Color Corp.[/quote] My father will be the DGK for our council for the next year as well, prayers to the both of you. Glad to see your wife is eager to pitch in, we need all the help we can get, there is no such thing as "too many". The KofC isn't strictly a men's organization, it's a family one. All of them are good, but your experience may vary depending on the degree team conducting it. My 1st, 3rd, and 4th were fantastic, while the 2nd was a little rough (for them). I [b]strongly recommend[/b] everyone to advance to the 4th degree, you won't regret it. [quote name='Falcon' post='1285772' date='Jun 1 2007, 11:37 AM']You know I have been called a lot of names but this comment hurts. We may sound geeky but we do oh so much. No other group does as much as The Knights of COlumbus for Anti-Abortion. No other organization gave out so much money so quick after 9/11 then the Knights of COlumbus. BTW, we gave the money to the familes off fallen fire/police despite religious connections. Shall I go on? NEver think of us as a group of guys who need a place/excuse to drink and wear goofy hats. We CARE for others.[/quote] Tell it like it is, Brother! Unfortunately, there are individuals who view the Knights of Columbus as an "old man's lodge", where we hang out and make pretend we're some knighthood, then run around trying to prove ourselves to the public. This is [b]false[/b]. The perception is no doubt as a result that many Knights are indeed near retiring age, but that's normal because they tend to have more time on their hands to help with the Knights; however, there are a lot of young to middle aged men who are Knights, especially in the larger councils. The KofC is a [b]125 year old[/b] fraternal benefit society of practical Catholic men who pledge loyality to the Church and to country, promoting patriotism and the message of Christ through our works. We help those that are less fortunate, we support our parish communities, work along side our pastors, we promote vocations to the priesthood, strive to be positive male Catholic role-models, support legislation that is in line with Catholic morality, and so much more (we even have one of the best life insurance programs in the country). Our organization was founded by a young Catholic priest in 1882, Father Michael J. McGivney in New Haven, Connecticut. We have 1.7 million members and over 13,000 councils in a handful of countries, and we're growing stronger every year. Here's a few statistics on the fruits of our labor: [i][b]The Knights of Columbus set new records for charitable giving and volunteer service hours in 2005.[/b] The results of the Order’s annual Survey of Fraternal Activity for the year ending Dec. 31, 2005, show that total contributions to charity at all levels reached[b] $139,711,619 [/b]– exceeding the previous year’s total by nearly $4 million. The figure includes $33,638,426 donated by the Supreme Council, $12,685,401 given by state councils, and $93,387,792 in charitable donations from local councils, Fourth Degree assemblies, and Squire circles. The survey also shows that the reported number of volunteer hours by Knights for charitable causes grew to 64,039,706 hours, up nearly 1 million hours from 2004. Additionally, members contributed another 8.5 million hours to fraternal service activity. There were [b]399,264 [/b]Knights of Columbus blood donors during the year, and Knights made more than [b]5.4 million visits [/b]to the sick and bereaved. Many of the monetary donations and hours of service were in support of relief efforts along the Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The Knights response to the tragic storms was swift and significant. Disbursements of an initial $2.5 million allocation for storm relief began two days after Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, and a dollar-for-dollar match was established for donations provided by its members. Knights from across the United States and Canada traveled to the storm-damaged region to assist in clean-up and recovery initiatives. Local councils also provided meals and the use of their facilities to rescue crews and victims in the weeks following the hurricanes. Cumulative figures show that during the past decade, the Knights of Columbus has donated more than [b]$1.208 billion to charity[/b], and provided in excess of [b]574 million hours of volunteer service [/b]in support of charitable causes.[/i] If we're not making a difference, than I don't know who is.
Falcon Posted June 1, 2007 Posted June 1, 2007 Thank you Brother. I get tired of what people think about things. The Knights are something very important to all of us, Catholic or not. As stated we help ALL people regardless of religion, race, creed or color. Our most important organization we help is the Special Olympics. MY council assists a local Special Olympic team and buy them uniforms and sponser events for the players. I have never done somethjing for them and not had a tear in my eye from the joy it brings. I will never stop helping others. As for being the DGK, it is a cool time for us in our council and I look at this as a great time to help the GK. I am a person who gets involved and will step up to the challenge that is brought to our council/order. Vivat Jesus
Paladin D Posted June 1, 2007 Author Posted June 1, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Falcon' post='1285890' date='Jun 1 2007, 02:47 PM']Thank you Brother. I get tired of what people think about things. The Knights are something very important to all of us, Catholic or not. As stated we help ALL people regardless of religion, race, creed or color. Our most important organization we help is the Special Olympics. MY council assists a local Special Olympic team and buy them uniforms and sponser events for the players. I have never done somethjing for them and not had a tear in my eye from the joy it brings. I will never stop helping others. As for being the DGK, it is a cool time for us in our council and I look at this as a great time to help the GK. I am a person who gets involved and will step up to the challenge that is brought to our council/order. Vivat Jesus[/quote] In our state (Virginia) we have a program called KOVAR (Knights Of Virginia Assistanting the Retarded). Every year the local councils raise money for those who have mental retardation. We stand outside busy shopping centers and malls, similar to what the Salvation Army does around Christmas time, only we do it around the spring or summer. I've participated in this effort for two years so far, and all the money (100%) goes to the State Council, which is then distributed amongst the various organizations in the state that directly help the mentally retarded. If I'm correct, the KofC is the largest sponsor of the Special Olympics [b]in the country[/b]. To those who haven't gotten their 4th degree yet, don't let age be the factor. "I'm too young, once I retire then I'll become a 4th degree." Why wait? I'm [b]20 years old[/b], and I'm already a 4th degree "Sir Knight". I want to get involved with the Color Corps, but I'm holding off for now (going in the Army, so I want to wait till I size up). Vivat Jesus! Edited June 1, 2007 by Paladin D
Paladin D Posted June 1, 2007 Author Posted June 1, 2007 [size=5][color="#FF0000"][b]Important Announcement[/b] [/color][/size] [b]White Knight[/b] will be entering the Brotherhood, receiving his [b]1st degree[/b] tomorrow, June 2nd! His computer is having some major problems, which is why he hasn't been on Phatmass recently. Let's make him feel welcomed to our Order, he'll make a great Knight.
Falcon Posted June 4, 2007 Posted June 4, 2007 [quote name='Paladin D' post='1285965' date='Jun 1 2007, 02:52 PM'][size=5][color="#FF0000"][b]Important Announcement[/b] [/color][/size] [b]White Knight[/b] will be entering the Brotherhood, receiving his [b]1st degree[/b] tomorrow, June 2nd! His computer is having some major problems, which is why he hasn't been on Phatmass recently. Let's make him feel welcomed to our Order, he'll make a great Knight.[/quote] I hope he made it through. Let us know.
Paladin D Posted June 4, 2007 Author Posted June 4, 2007 [quote name='Falcon' post='1287924' date='Jun 4 2007, 11:49 AM']I hope he made it through. Let us know.[/quote] His PC is fixed now, so hopefully he'll see this thread. Apparently, he was given wrong information. June 2nd was for the [b]2nd[/b] and [b]3rd[/b] degrees. Last I talked to him, he wasn't sure when the next 1st degree ceremony will take place.
Falcon Posted June 5, 2007 Posted June 5, 2007 Where is he located. There is one here near Philadelphia tomorrow (Wednesday) which I Will be a guard for and then next thursday there is a 2 degree which I am a warden.
Paladin D Posted June 7, 2007 Author Posted June 7, 2007 [quote name='Falcon' post='1288569' date='Jun 5 2007, 08:37 AM']Where is he located. There is one here near Philadelphia tomorrow (Wednesday) which I Will be a guard for and then next thursday there is a 2 degree which I am a warden.[/quote] He lives in Oklahoma City. You live in the Philly metro area!?
Falcon Posted June 7, 2007 Posted June 7, 2007 [quote name='Paladin D' post='1289842' date='Jun 6 2007, 09:48 PM']He lives in Oklahoma City. You live in the Philly metro area!?[/quote] No I live in Northeast East Philadelphia.
Paladin D Posted June 7, 2007 Author Posted June 7, 2007 [quote name='Falcon' post='1290291' date='Jun 7 2007, 02:06 PM']No I live in Northeast East Philadelphia.[/quote] So you're in the suburbs, thus the Philadelphia Metropolitan? I was born in Camden. Grew up in south Jersey and around the Wilmington, DE area. Both parents are from Philadelphia.
Falcon Posted June 11, 2007 Posted June 11, 2007 [quote name='Paladin D' post='1290444' date='Jun 7 2007, 03:57 PM']So you're in the suburbs, thus the Philadelphia Metropolitan? I was born in Camden. Grew up in south Jersey and around the Wilmington, DE area. Both parents are from Philadelphia.[/quote] VERY small world. I do live in Philly still. I am looking to move but not in any hurry. I wil lremain in my council. BEing I am now the DGK starting July 1. My brother is now the Chan.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now