An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bill Donohue On South Park

Jaime

From the Catholic League website

[quote]April 5, 2007

“SOUTH PARK” LAMPOONS BILL DONOHUE

On last night’s episode of the Comedy Central show “South Park,” Catholic League president Bill Donohue appeared as one of the cartoon characters, along with a figure of Pope Benedict XVI. The Easter script depicted Donohue chastising the pope for being “too soft.” Donohue then takes over as pope. When a Jesus figure appears, he has both the pope and Jesus arrested. After Jesus is killed by Kyle, he resurrects and kills Donohue.

Donohue commented on this today:

“I have no idea why ‘South Park’ creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker caricature me as a heartless thug. In any event, I stand convicted and have no defense. Now I have to get back to business—I hear someone just took some liberties with the Easter Bunny.”[/quote]

Donohue cracks me up! What a perfect response!!

Knight of the Holy Rosary

[quote]“I have no idea why ‘South Park’ creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker caricature me as a heartless thug. In any event, I stand convicted and have no defense. Now I have to get back to business—I hear someone just took some liberties with the Easter Bunny.”[/quote]

:lol_roll:

it is really cool that he can have a sense of humor and blow these guys off for being stoned cartoonists. I saw the episode last night, kinda funny really.

As a fundi I didnt do the easter thing. Still feels weird. Why do we worship the bunny?

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1232569' date='Apr 6 2007, 05:20 PM']it is really cool that he can have a sense of humor and blow these guys off for being stoned cartoonists. I saw the episode last night, kinda funny really.

As a fundi I didnt do the easter thing. Still feels weird. Why do we worship the bunny?[/quote]I think it's because he gives us the eggs with chocolate candy inside. :)

I think it's funny Catholics thought the South Park episode was funny and meaningless.

Bill wanted to kill the Pope AND the Easter Bunny AND Jesus.

The point was that Jesus picked a Rabbit for the Chair of Peter who doesn't say anything because He had no confidence or intent to let humans speak for Jesus on earth because humans are idiots. Peter Rabbit. Get it?

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1232604' date='Apr 6 2007, 02:44 PM']I think it's funny Catholics thought the South Park episode was funny and meaningless.

Bill wanted to kill the Pope AND the Easter Bunny AND Jesus.

The point was that Jesus picked a Rabbit for the Chair of Peter who doesn't say anything because He had no confidence or intent to let humans speak for Jesus on earth because humans are idiots. Peter Rabbit. Get it?[/quote]

Gosh Jas, thanks for spelling it out for us. Wow I feel totally enlightened now! Honestly I doubt if I ever would have muddled through that without you. I thought I had it figured out but then I was distracted by a sparkly thing.

Now what was the deal with Bruce Willis in "The Sixth Sense"?

And yes it was funny
And yes it was meaningless

The South Park guys make fun of everyone. Bill Donohue understood the subtleties.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1232722' date='Apr 6 2007, 06:49 PM']Gosh Jas, thanks for spelling it out for us. Wow I feel totally enlightened now! Honestly I doubt if I ever would have muddled through that without you. I thought I had it figured out but then I was distracted by a sparkly thing.

Now what was the deal with Bruce Willis in "The Sixth Sense"?
And yes it was funny
And yes it was meaningless

The South Park guys make fun of everyone. Bill Donohue understood the subtleties.[/quote]Sorry. I didn't mean to offend your sensibilities. I watched a good portion of it with my young adult daughters who are less Catholic than I. My eldest daughter who is anti-religion felt funny watching it and was even a little offended. For us not being in the Catholic fan club to feel uncomfortable, I think it's funny (odd, noteable, curious) that you Catholics just see it as humorous.

Oh look. A chicken...

Guest T-Bone

I flipped to it near the end. I immediately changed the channel. I used to find South Park humorous. I fail to see the humor in it anymore.

Kudos to Bill Donahue for not giving Comedy Central and the creators of South Park the reaction they expected.

Theologian in Training

A priest friend recommended it to me, telling me how funny it was, given that they were making fun of the Da Vinci Code. However, when I watched it I thought it was rather stupid, full of pointless comedy (which South Park is known for) and not really as entertaining as it could have been. Granted, I know that some people see Bill Donahue as over the top at times, which is why it was obviously targeted towards Catholics who know enough about their faith to have heard or seen about the Catholic League, but still I did not like it all that much.

Personally, I thought it was quite blasphemous and disparaging towards the Church. You do realize, as Jas pointed out, that the whole premise was that St. Peter (Peter the rabbit) was the original choice Jesus picked because he did not say anything and people would continue to follow him anyway? Granted, they were trying to poke fun and get a few laughs, but I thought it was pretty offensive and just another piece of recycled garbage from South Park creators.

Just my .02.

RezaMikhaeil

I thought it was a great method to making fun of the divinchi code. The divinichi code was down right blasphemous but this was kinda bringing into action, "the light". The creators of SP didn't intend you to actually believe that St. Peter was a bunny, or that God picked someone that wouldn't say nothing, but rather simply addressing the conspiracy theory garbage that gained so much hype.

It was not even remotely insulting towards Roman Catholics compared to past Southpark Episodes. My only complaint with it, was that it wasn't entertaining. I wasn't laughing like I have at past episodes. This just wasn't funny, as none of the episodes this season have been as funny as past episodes like "TSST" and others..

Reza

PS: for those that didn't see it, you can watch it at www.allabout-sp.net

Edited by RezaLemmyng

I find it interesting that people are focusing on the point of the show

And completely ignoring the point of the thread

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1233337' date='Apr 7 2007, 08:27 AM']I find it interesting that people are focusing on the point of the show

And completely ignoring the point of the thread[/quote]
yeah ... it's pretty unusual that people would go off topic on PM

That [i]never[/i] happens

:mellow: