An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beverages Allowed On Good Friday?

Paladin D

Question, are beverages (juices, soft drinks, etc) allowed during the non-eating portions on Good Friday? Or is it just water?

Birgitta Noel

I broke my PM fast and happened upon this thread... :ninja:

So here's your answer:

From EWTN's Colin Donovan
[quote]Fasting The law of fasting requires a Catholic from the 18th Birthday [Canon 97]to the 59th Birthday [i.e. the beginning of the 60th year, a year which will be completed on the 60th birthday] to reduce the amount of food eaten from normal. The Church defines this as one meal a day, and two smaller meals which if added together would not exceed the main meal in quantity. Such fasting is obligatory on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. The fast is broken by eating between meals and by drinks which could be considered food (milk shakes, but not milk). Alcoholic beverages do not break the fast; however, they seem contrary to the spirit of doing penance.[/quote]

Link: [url="http://www.ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm"]EWTN on Fasting[/url]

And now back to my irregularly scheduled crisis :mellow:

Dust's Sister

^Hey, thanks. I'll probably wait till Dinner to eat. I don't even like the idea of having snacks... I feel like fasting today, I don't know why.

I have a nasty cold, so I have been nailing the juice all day. I plan on having an XS before work so I have a lil energy. I had some spring roles for lunch, and will probably have a fish sandwich for supper.

Second highest selling energy drink in the world. Very little caffiene, no sugar, no carbs, 8 flavors. Energy is from B vit mix, and adapto herbs with some amino acids

My company is independantly contracted with that company for distribution purposes. Basically I can get you the best deal legally available for that private label.

[url="http://prodeji.mychoices.biz/Choices/Products.aspx?P=1023"]http://prodeji.mychoices.biz/Choices/Products.aspx?P=1023[/url]

thats a hotlink to my website with some info on the XS drink

feel free to ask more questions. This is what i "do"

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1232342' date='Apr 6 2007, 11:36 AM']Question, are beverages (juices, soft drinks, etc) allowed during the non-eating portions on Good Friday? Or is it just water?[/quote]
Just water.

Beverages are allowed only with the meals.

prove it....

Im just wondering, cause I always heard that other liquids are fine. Like I have been drinking juice all day for my cold.

Dreamweaver

I always thought that beverages were allowed between meals. I personally stick with water when not eating though. Maybe there's some old rule of thumb stating that if its clear, its ok? Poor orange juice... :(

Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are the only two days that I don't drink coffee. Yesterday I had a bowl of cheerios for breakfast, 2 filet of fish from McDonalds for lunch and a glass of wine. In the afternoon i had a glass of water. Then after 9 pm I went to applebees for dinner and had fish and chips with a couple glasses of lemonade. before I went to bed I had chocolate milk like i do every night but it was after midnight then.

Phoenix Reborn

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1233018' date='Apr 6 2007, 08:00 PM']Like I have been drinking juice all day for my cold.[/quote]

I'm sure it's ok to drink juice if you're sick, you should be drinking fluids.