An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tell Me I Am Right To Feel Weird About This

Sojourner

I don't know much about the theology of ecumenism, or whatever it would be called. But it does sound weird to me that they chose Good Friday to have that service. Really, it kind of seems defiant... but I don't know.

Anomaly, thanks for the advice. I'll give it some thought and prayer and figure out if that's the right way to handle it. I hope that my pickiness hasn't been a continued stumbling block to you. :(

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1233335' date='Apr 7 2007, 10:25 AM']Anomaly, thanks for the advice. I'll give it some thought and prayer and figure out if that's the right way to handle it. I hope that my pickiness hasn't been a continued stumbling block to you. :([/quote]LOL, not even close. I don't find you anywhere close to being picky in a consistently negative manner. You question, not automatically ascribe a negative motive or spin on what you question. Sometimes it's refreshing and makes me think about what I'm busy assuming.

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1233339' date='Apr 7 2007, 08:33 AM']LOL, not even close. I don't find you anywhere close to being picky in a consistently negative manner. You question, not automatically ascribe a negative motive or spin on what you question. Sometimes it's refreshing and makes me think about what I'm busy assuming.[/quote]
whew! that's a relief.

I struggle with making assumptions myself. When I'm getting more exercise jumping to conclusions than doing sit-ups, it's a problem.

I can understand your frustration though. I grew up with a Dad who always found fault with every church we attended, so I try to make a point of questioning and being open to interpretation rather than automatically assuming the worst. Sometimes I am better at doing it than others.

Hey! Just to drop in my thoughts . . . .

While it may not have been expected, and was perhaps even a little odd, that the reflection and collection would have an inter-religious focus, I don't think it is at all out of keeping with it being Good Friday. The prayers of the faithful at the Good Friday service are extensive, and one of those reasons is that we pray for 1) all Christians; 2) the Jewish people; 3) those who do not believe in Christ; 4) those who do not believe in God. We also pray (during the prayers for those in public office?) for religious freedom for all people. Theologian in Training had a similar point. However, I do think it may have been the right time and place to offer an inter-religious reflection, particularly since this was not the parish's Triduum celebration of the Lord's Passion, but was rather a separate service.

While it would be foolish to try to make the Triduum into a series of inter-faith holy days, the liturgy of the church itself seems to recognize a need for prayer for those of other religions and for religious liberty. Since our communal Christian prayer isn't just "spiritual," but is meant to take concrete form in our lives I think it is cool that the pastor and the rabbi were providing a good example of loving respect. Of course a lot rides on the actual content of the reflection. As long as it is not pure religious relativism, I think such a reflection can point Christians towards a prayerful encounter with those of other faiths, and may also be an expression of our belief that Christ died and rose for all--the good news that we are called to lovingly share with all people.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1233331' date='Apr 7 2007, 07:18 AM']I don't know much about the theology of ecumenism, or whatever it would be called. But it does sound weird to me that they chose Good Friday to have that service. Really, it kind of seems defiant... but I don't know.[/quote]

I was thinking about this last night and I'm wondering if it was a misguided attempt to deal with the history of anti-semitism--primarily in Europe-- and the pogroms that tended to happen after Good Friday Services (see Nostra Aetate) as well as the current anti-Muslim stuff.

I guess some dialogue is called for.

[quote name='Pia' post='1233566' date='Apr 7 2007, 12:19 PM']I was thinking about this last night and I'm wondering if it was a misguided attempt to deal with the history of anti-semitism--primarily in Europe-- and the pogroms that tended to happen after Good Friday Services (see Nostra Aetate) as well as the current anti-Muslim stuff.

I guess some dialogue is called for.[/quote]
That is probably the case, actually.

[quote name='curtins' post='1233889' date='Apr 7 2007, 07:44 PM']not the appropriate time for interfaith relations
imo[/quote]LOL. Is there any appropriate time to be charitably constipated?

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1233008' date='Apr 6 2007, 11:26 PM']OK, I just got home from a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenebrae_(Maundy)"]tenebrae [/url]and anointing service at a local parish. Absolutely gorgeous service. Beautiful choral music, several readings. Probably one of the most beautiful non-Mass services I've ever gone to.

At least, until during the reflection, when the priest got up with a local rabbi and both of them talked about the beauty of interfaith relations and told us the collection would go to support the city's interfaith forum, which fosters communications and respect between various faiths: Muslim, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Unitarian, and so on.

Now, I am not entirely opposed to interfaith respect and communication. However, this was GOOD FRIDAY, when we are supposed to be remembering the passion and death of Christ. Somehow the whole interfaith reflection and asking for donations to support an interfaith forum seems grossly out of place.

Am I wrong?[/quote]
I am suspicious of Interfaith anything, at any time. I mean, you get beat over the head with it the rest of the year, why can't we just focus on Catholicism for a couple days?

I am a bad enough person that I will keep my mouth shut during the Prayers when they mention the Lutheran, Anglican, Roman Catholic and United Methodist (LARCUM) fellowship. No "Lord hear our prayer" for that...not from me.

toledo_jesus

[quote name='Pia' post='1233566' date='Apr 7 2007, 02:19 PM']the current anti-Muslim stuff.

I guess some dialogue is called for.[/quote]
we need to hear some more anti-muslim stuff, quite honestly. I'd love to see an official critique of Islam coming from the pulpit of my local parish, or even from the cathedral.

Since when did we start thinking that Islam doesn't want to expunge our Faith from the earth? Last time I checked, they hadn't changed their minds about us.

Too bad that you can't even teach English kids about the Holocaust anymore...don't want to offend those wacky Muslims. Pope can't even make a valid point about Islam's violent past without it resulting in...violence from Muslims.

Nope, let's not get Interfaith with those people...Save our efforts for the Protestants and Jews, and work on converting the Muslims to a less homicidal theology.

Our parish was a mission parish for its first ten years (probably still are, in somebody's records). For five of those years, before building our first building, the parish shared space with (borrowed on Saturday night) the local Episcopal Church. A shared Good Friday service, including veneration of the cross, has been a part of our history, even after we moved out. As a "mission" parish, we have no resident priest, and the canonical pastor assigned to our parish has his own (very large by our standards - probably middle sized by some of yours - but he's the only priest there) parish to run . . . and we don't cause a lot of problems, so he pretty much leaves us alone. Retired priests preside at the Sunday Mass. All of which leads into the following comment about our Good Friday observance . . . the only ordained person there was the Episcopal priest . . . but the service was virtually word for word from the Missal (I didn't have the Missal there, but have since read it over). No communion, so that wasn't an issue. No collection, so that wasn't an issue. Just two Christian parishes listening to the Word and venerating the cross together. The emphasis is, I think, on what we have in common, rather than what might divide us.

I can see that being a little harder with a rabbi . . . and a lot harder with an iman . . . . . . but it wasn't too terribly hard with Episcopalians.