An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Statistics

jkaands

These from the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, the National Religious Retirement Office:

The number of religious sisters at the end of 2006 is 55,500.

Average age is 70.

73% are 65 and older.

... despite the best efforts of phatmass.

HeavenlyCalling

I guess we just need to try harder ;)

Is there any way we could get a breakup of those numbers? For example how many and the average age for cloistered/ contemplative vocations, LCWR, CMSWR, ect?

Edited by HeavenlyCalling

srmarymichael

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1233825' date='Apr 7 2007, 05:02 PM']I guess we just need to try harder ;)

Is there any way we could get a breakup of those numbers? For example how many and the average age for cloistered/ contemplative vocations, LCWR, CMSWR, ect?[/quote]

I don't know about current numbers, but 10 years ago we found that 10% of the Sisters belong to the CMSWR while these same Communities (CMSWR) are getting about 90% of the Vocations. It'll be interesting to see how things look in 50 years..... Hmmmm.....

HeavenlyCalling

I heard something like they got 90% of active woman's vocations. I may be wrong, but I think the group that gets the most is the cloisters, then the CMSWR and their compatriots and then the LCWR, so the amount of vocations they get is really out of wack ( in a good way!!) with their total numbers ( if that makes any sense) But I just picked that up somewhere, I was wondering if there was an official study or something.

[quote name='jkaands' date='Apr 7 2007, 03:51 PM' post='1233813']
These from the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, the National Religious Retirement Office:

Average age is 70.

73% are 65 and older.

... despite the best efforts of phatmass.

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1233838' date='Apr 7 2007, 04:29 PM']I heard something like they got 90% of active woman's vocations. I may be wrong, but I think the group that gets the most is the cloisters, then the CMSWR and their compatriots and then the LCWR, so the amount of vocations they get is really out of wack ( in a good way!!) with their total numbers ( if that makes any sense) But I just picked that up somewhere, I was wondering if there was an official study or something.[/quote]

.....good questions all.

Nat Relig Voc Conf confirms that there is an upsurge in inquires and entrances and that many are preferring a habit and organized prayer and community life.

I am surprised that many of the older orders in decline (in numbers, anyway), don't make wearing a habit at least optional..they may, but it is not obvious from the websites,none appears to be wearing any habit except for the very old.

but I also think that the apparent surge in numbers entering the "traditional" orders (often new ones, interestingly), may be more apparent than real, with only a handful of orders garnering most of the entrances and the attention, espec Dgtrs of OL Eucharist and Nashville Dominicans, and a few others.

I agree that further breakdown would be interesting and useful.

[/quote]

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]I guess we just need to try harder[/quote]

I have a rosary and I'm not afraid to use it...

[quote name='jkaands' post='1233813' date='Apr 7 2007, 04:51 PM']These from the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, the National Religious Retirement Office:

Average age is 70.

73% are 65 and older.

... despite the best efforts of phatmass.[/quote]
The Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA), out of Georgetown, has slightly higher numbers: [b]66,608.[/b]

Checkout these links [b][url="http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/index.htm"]HERE [/url][/b]and [b][url="http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/RelStatistics.html"]HERE [/url][/b]for additional info.

[quote name='shortnun' post='1233947' date='Apr 7 2007, 06:46 PM']The Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA), out of Georgetown, has slightly higher numbers: [b]66,608.[/b]

Checkout these links [b][url="http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/index.htm"]HERE [/url][/b]and [b][url="http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/RelStatistics.html"]HERE [/url][/b]for additional info.[/quote]

I also noticed the discrepancy, as I reported on the most recent CARA stats in a previous post.

I have no idea what is the origin of the discrepancy, as I don't know how the numbers were arrived at.

I would tend to trust CARA as they are sociologists who report all sorts of stats regularly.

I think that the age for applications and final professions, the latter the most important number, is bimodal--lots of young'uns in the few "trad" orders who attract high numbers, such as the Nashville OP, Ann Arbor Mo of Eucharist and Francisc martyr St. George being the apparent leaders, a scattering in other trad orders OLAM, Sisters of Life, etc. and then a scattering of middle aged and older women in the formerly large and now rapidly shrinking communities of the OSB, OP, Franciscans, who are attracting members, most middle aged but others younger, one by one.

It's tough to follow the contemplatives. Many don't have websites. If there is a stat breakdown then I haven't found it. The Inst of Relig Life has an e-newsletter and they may report in there, or possibly the CMSWR.

I wouldn't put too much trust in figures and numbers - most stats are motivated by some ulterior motive - much like "fastest growing religion in the world" stats. :rolleyes:

Liberalist, modernists, sing kumbaya with everyone communities are falling and disappearing - as true vocations are usually directed towards orthodox, traditional congregations.

Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever - some things don't change nomatter how unfunky or uncool everyone says it is.

Another point I would add (mind you these are my humble opinions) ... the number of religious is not whats of paramount concern but the strength of the religious ... its better to have one priest like St John Vianney than a billion who lead the flock astray.

[quote name='JuCa' post='1234747' date='Apr 8 2007, 01:19 AM']LCWR- that webpage just makes me wanna cry!!!!!!!

WHY do we have people that taint the beauty of religious life?[/quote]

Just curious, why? Don't you think it's beautiful to have different types of religious congregations available so we can all find our place to live our gospel call? Why would the LCWR make you want to cry?

AlterDominicus

I know the Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist have a 1725% growth rate in the last few years. I consider that nice progress

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='csj' post='1237725' date='Apr 10 2007, 12:34 PM']Just curious, why? Don't you think it's beautiful to have different types of religious congregations available so we can all find our place to live our gospel call? Why would the LCWR make you want to cry?[/quote]
Not all f the groups in the LCWR are like this, but I have seen several tha seem more like political groups then orders of religous woman. Not that the causes the support aren't good ones, but some seemed to have moved things like Earth Charters into the places that used to be occupied by Gods word. Not all, and maybe not even most, but there are some. And some ( coughjoanchrisitercough) live in open defience of the Church and the Holy Father.