An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Statistics

jkaands

[quote name='JuCa' post='1234747' date='Apr 8 2007, 01:19 AM']LCWR- that webpage just makes me wanna cry!!!!!!!

WHY do we have people that taint the beauty of religious life?[/quote]

Not all members belonging to LCWR 'taint' the beauty of religious life. I belong to an order that is part of LCWR and find that our life is in accordance with Gospel values. In fact, our foundress (St. Elizabeth Ann Seton) left her daughters in religion advice to follow: "Be Children of the Church." We place a very, very high value in meeting our Lord in the Eucharist and in those we serve.

sr_betsy

Edited by sr_betsy

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='sr_betsy' post='1239086' date='Apr 11 2007, 06:53 PM']Not all members belonging to LCWR 'taint' the beauty of religious life. I belong to an order that is part of LCWR and find that our life is in accordance with Gospel values. In fact, our foundress (St. Elizabeth Ann Seton) left her daughters in religion advice to follow: "Be Children of the Church." We place a very, very high value in meeting our Lord in the Eucharist and in those we serve.

sr_betsy[/quote]
And I am sure that there are many, many other good sisters totally in love with Christ and His church in the LCWM, and that thier presence just adds to the beauty of the flock. Maybe we hear too much about the few dissenters, and it makes it seem like there are more of them then their really are.

Sister, out of curiousity, what is the LCWR's relationship with the CMSWR like? It is such a unique situation, the US is the only country in the world with two major councils for woman religious, I understand. Do you ever hold meetings together or co-operate for certian projects?

Thank you for your time and God Bless

HeavenlyCalling

this is silly, how many times can the phorum repost this?

Edited by HeavenlyCalling

Well, I, for one, am glad that we have one honest-to-God NUN on this forum instead of a host of *others* who are very free with their aspersions about any order not the DMMO's or Nashvillians or OCDs.

Sr. Mary Catherine was carrying all the load for a while...

And I too am interested in the relationship between the LCWR and the CW's.

--any ideas, Sr. Betsy?

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1238878' date='Apr 11 2007, 02:07 PM']Not all f the groups in the LCWR are like this, but I have seen several tha seem more like political groups then orders of religous woman. Not that the causes the support aren't good ones, but some seemed to have moved things like Earth Charters into the places that used to be occupied by Gods word. Not all, and maybe not even most, but there are some. And some ( coughjoanchrisitercough) live in open defience of the Church and the Holy Father.[/quote]

I would like some more info on your allegation that Joan CHICHESTER, OSB, is "living in 'open defience (sic) of the Church and the Holy Father"

references and sources, please.

HeavenlyCalling

Sr. Joan Chittister attended several womans ordination conferences, despite the fact that the WO movement goes against the teachings of the Holy Catholic Church and speaks at such events on occation ( [url="http://catholicinsight.com/online/feminism/article_246.shtml"]http://catholicinsight.com/online/feminism/article_246.shtml[/url] ) from an article from a Catholic magazine
[quote]In April 2000, Sister Joan Chittister was the keynote speaker at the National Catholic Education Conference in Milwaukee. At least three bishops discouraged their teachers from going there. She told an applauding audience that educational leadership means posing questions that Church authorities do not want asked. Question, question, question, she insisted. All her own questions concern the feminist agenda of "spiritual responsibility" for women, meaning of course their ordination. We are being denied "the fullness of the spiritual life," asserted Chittister, to more applause. [/quote]and

[quote]Then came the question of whether Sister Joan was going to attend a Women's Ordination Conference in Dublin, Ireland, at the end of June. The Vatican's Congregation for the Consecrated Life wrote her superior, Sister Christine Vladimiroff, the current prioress of the Benedictine Sisters of Erie, asking her to keep Sister Joan at home. Sister Christine declined to do so. She read her answer explaining to her community why she was unable to comply to her community, and invited all 128 nuns to add their signatures to hers. All did, except one. Indeed, 35 of the younger nuns signed a request that any punishment given to Sister Joan be given to them as well. Then she travelled to Rome while Sister Joan was already on her way to Dublin.[/quote]

From her speech "the God they never told me about" ( which can be purchased online, if you want it):

[quote] her view of God evolved from "a God of rules and laws" to an impersonal vision of "cosmic unity greater than doctrines or denominations".1 [/quote]In responce to a letter written from the Holy See's Congregation for the Institutes of Consecrated Life to Sister Joan's superior, Erie prioress Sister Christine Vladimiroff

[quote]The Vatican believed her participation to be in opposition to its decree (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis) that priestly ordination will never be conferred on women in the Roman Catholic Church and must, therefore, never be discussed . . . I spent many hours discussing the issue with Sister Joan and traveled to Rome to dialogue about it with Vatican officials. I sought the advice of bishops, religious leaders, canonists, other prioresses, and most importantly, my religious community, the Benedictine Sisters of Erie . . . I concluded that I would decline the request of the Vatican. There is a fundamental difference in the understanding of obedience in the monastic tradition and that which is being used by the Vatican . . . Benedictine authority and obedience are achieved through dialogue between a member and her prioress in a spirit of co-responsibility . . . The role of the prioress in a Benedictine community is to be a center of unity and a guide in the seeking of God ... [but] it is the individual member who does the seeking. Sister Joan Chittister, who has lived the monastic life with faith and fidelity for 50 years, must make her own decision[/quote]
[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=4090"]Here[/url] is an article from an other Catholic magazine, which cites sources at the bottom.

Here is a quote from a [url="http://ncronline.org/NCR_Online/documents/addressbySJC.htm"]speech[/url] Sr. gave to the NCEA
[quote]TEACH THEM TO ASK HOW IT IS THAT ONE SEX CAN TAKE UPON ITSELF THE RIGHT TO DEFINE WHAT GOD WANTS OF THE OTHER ONE. TEACH THEM TO ASK WHAT KIND OF GOD IT IS THAT WOULD GIVE WOMEN A MIND, A SOUL, A BAPTISM AND A CALL AND THEN FORBID THEM TO ANSWER IT WHEN A SACRAMENTAL CHURCH IS IN DANGER OF LOSING THE SACRAMENTS.[/quote] (sorry about the all-caps, it came like that.)
I hope this is helpful

God Bless.

onlygrace08

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1239264' date='Apr 11 2007, 09:44 PM']Sr. Joan Chittister attended several womans ordination conferences, despite the fact that the WO movement goes against the teachings of the Holy Catholic Church and speaks at such events on occation ( [url="http://catholicinsight.com/online/feminism/article_246.shtml"]http://catholicinsight.com/online/feminism/article_246.shtml[/url] ) from an article from a Catholic magazine
and
From her speech "the God they never told me about" ( which can be purchased online, if you want it):

In responce to a letter written from the Holy See's Congregation for the Institutes of Consecrated Life to Sister Joan's superior, Erie prioress Sister Christine Vladimiroff
[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=4090"]Here[/url] is an article from an other Catholic magazine, which cites sources at the bottom.

Here is a quote from a [url="http://ncronline.org/NCR_Online/documents/addressbySJC.htm"]speech[/url] Sr. gave to the NCEA
(sorry about the all-caps, it came like that.)
I hope this is helpful

God Bless.[/quote]

This all makes me so sad.... why can't we understand the beauty of being women and that vocation? I'm thinking that the topic of ordination of women is going to be the topic for my big research paper I am starting soon.

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1239160' date='Apr 11 2007, 08:53 PM']nm[/quote]

[quote name='onlygrace08' post='1239299' date='Apr 11 2007, 10:06 PM']This all makes me so sad.... why can't we understand the beauty of being women and that vocation? I'm thinking that the topic of ordination of women is going to be the topic for my big research paper I am starting soon.[/quote]
That would be a wonderful paper, esp. if you could really capture the true vocation of woman. If you haven't already read it, I suggest JP2s letter to woman, which I'll look around on line for...

[url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_15081988_mulieris-dignitatem_en.html"]aha! Here it is![/url]

And [url="http://ncronline.org/NCR_Online/documents/Discipleship.htm"]HERE[/url] is a speech Sr. Joan gave to the Womans Ordination Worldwide ( wow) conference. jaands, I dont think you can deny thaat this is directly opposed to the Churchs teachings, and given that she has already been told once ( at least) not to attend such conferences she is [quote]"living in 'open defience (sic) of the Church and the Holy Father"[/quote]

I rest my case.

God Bless and Mary Keep you all!!

[quote name='jkaands' post='1239173' date='Apr 11 2007, 08:02 PM']Well, I, for one, am glad that we have one honest-to-God NUN on this forum instead of a host of *others* who are very free with their aspersions about any order not the DMMO's or Nashvillians or OCDs.

Sr. Mary Catherine was carrying all the load for a while...

And I too am interested in the relationship between the LCWR and the CW's.

--any ideas, Sr. Betsy?[/quote]

I am not familiar with the relationship. What I do know is this: most sisters (habited and non-habited) have tremendous respect for one another. I'll look into.

Edited by sr_betsy

HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='sr_betsy' post='1239338' date='Apr 11 2007, 10:40 PM']I am not familiar with the relationship. What I do know is this: most sisters (habited and non-habited) have tremendous respect for one another. I'll look into.[/quote]
I remember reading in a book somewhere ( I'll try to find it) that when the CMSWR was first formed, the relationship with the LCWR was NOT very smooth at all, and I was just wondering how that has changed and how they interact. Thank ou for your time ,Sr.