An Old School Catholic Message Board

During Lent, Were Your Statues Veiled?

Moneybags

Lent  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wish that my parish would keep this symbolic tradition of veiling statues during Lent. Did your parish do it? I'm not sure if many parishes keep this tradition.

Secondly, are there any decrees or Church law on this subject?

Images were never veiled during Lent only from Passion Sunday (in the old calandar) or the 5th Sunday in Lent now. In the past they were veiled in Violet except on Holy Thursday when they were veiled in White.

Today he practice of veiling crosses and statues during the last two weeks of Lent was approved by the USCCB in November 2001, granted recognitio by the Holy See, and has been in effect since April 2002. It reads:

"In the Dioceses of the United States of America, crosses in the church may be covered from the conclusion of the Mass for Saturday of the Fourth Week of Lent until the end of the celebration of the Lord's Passion on Good Friday. Images in the church may be covered from the conclusion of the Mass for Saturday of the Fourth Week of Lent until the beginning of the Easter Vigil".

Dominica V in Quadragesima:
Usus cooperiendi cruces et imagines per ecclesiam ab had dominica servari potest, deiudicio Conferentiae Episcoporum. Cruces velatae remanent usque ad expletam celebrationem Passionis Domini, feria VI Hebdomandae sanctae, imagines vero usque ad initium Vigilae paschalis.

[ The practice of covering crosses and images in the Church from this Sunday's observance (Fifth Sunday of Lent) is permitted, according to the judgment of the episcopal conferences. Crosses remain veiled until the end of the celebration of the Lord's Passion on the sixth day of Holy Week (Good Friday); images remain veiled until the beginning of the Paschal Vigil.]

RezaMikhaeil

In Coptic Churches, women veil every sunday. St. John Chrysostom wrote extensively about this...

Reza

SeekingHisPlan

[quote name='Noel' post='1238590' date='Apr 11 2007, 09:08 AM']Yup, but not the whole of Lent. We had it according to Cappie's post.[/quote]

The crucifixes were veiled with the exception of the life-size one inside the front door of the Church.

In other years, all the statues have been veiled, but this is a huge undertaking because our Church is FULL of statues. A friend and I used to joke about how in the world one would have veiled the statue standing atop our high Altar. We figured that the Fathers stood in the sanctuary and tossed the veil up until someone landed it over the head of the statue...like the priestly version of ring toss!

SeekingHisPlan

[quote name='Noel' post='1238590' date='Apr 11 2007, 09:08 AM']Yup, but not the whole of Lent. We had it according to Cappie's post.[/quote]

The crucifixes were veiled with the exception of the life-size one inside the front door of the Church.

In other years, all the statues have been veiled, but this is a huge undertaking because our Church is FULL of statues. A friend and I used to joke about how in the world one would have veiled the statue standing atop our high Altar. We figured that the Fathers stood in the sanctuary and tossed the veil up until someone landed it over the head of the statue...like the priestly version of ring toss!

Not here. then again [url="http://www.notredameottawa.com"]Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica[/url] has over 60 statues

Ours were veiled, but, mae culpa, I can't remember if they were veiled during all of Lent or just the last week or two...

The Church I usually go to has a huge mosaic of the risen Christ behind the altar, and it was veiled up for Lent. I don't remember if the statues were veiled. There are two statues of St. Peter and St. Paul to either side of the altar.