An Old School Catholic Message Board

During Lent, Were Your Statues Veiled?

Moneybags

Lent  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

franciscanheart

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1238388' date='Apr 10 2007, 11:01 PM']I wish that my parish would keep this symbolic tradition of veiling statues during Lent. Did your parish do it? I'm not sure if many parishes keep this tradition.

Secondly, are there any decrees or Church law on this subject?[/quote]
Mine veiled and always has. I've NEVER seen a church that didn't. :unsure:

I wish I had taken a picture of it...

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1239005' date='Apr 11 2007, 05:27 PM']Mine veiled and always has. I've NEVER seen a church that didn't. :unsure:
I wish I had taken a picture of it...[/quote]

My parish and those near me have [u]never[/u] veiled the statues during any part of Lent or Holy Week. Is this a liturgical abuse?

No, but you could make your wishes known.

Dominica V in Quadragesima:
Usus cooperiendi cruces et imagines per ecclesiam ab had dominica servari potest, deiudicio Conferentiae Episcoporum. Cruces velatae remanent usque ad expletam celebrationem Passionis Domini, feria VI Hebdomandae sanctae, imagines vero usque ad initium Vigilae paschalis.

[ [b]The practice of covering crosses and images in the Church from this Sunday's observance (Fifth Sunday of Lent) is [u]permitted[/u], according to the judgment of the episcopal conferences.[/b] Crosses remain veiled until the end of the celebration of the Lord's Passion on the sixth day of Holy Week (Good Friday); images remain veiled until the beginning of the Paschal Vigil.]

At my indult where I serve, the statues were veiled from Passion Sunday until Holy Saturday. In my actual parish where I go to confession and Eucharistic adoration they were veiled from Palm Sunday to Holy Saturday.

Churches here only did it during Holy Week. I meant to it at home, but I couldn't get any purple cloth.

[quote name='Staretz' post='1238611' date='Apr 11 2007, 09:48 AM']Not here. then again [url="http://www.notredameottawa.com"]Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica[/url] has over 60 statues[/quote]

kinda reminds me of the [url="http://www.basiliquenddm.org/"]Basilica of our lady of Montreal.[/url]

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Old_Joe' post='1239469' date='Apr 12 2007, 01:40 AM']Churches here only did it during Holy Week. I meant to it at home, but I couldn't get any purple cloth.
kinda reminds me of the [url="http://www.basiliquenddm.org/"]Basilica of our lady of Montreal.[/url][/quote]

the english link doesn't open :(.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1239694' date='Apr 12 2007, 04:57 AM']Byzantine Churches shouldn't have any statues. :)[/quote]
But they do have icons, correct?

[quote name='Old_Joe' post='1239469' date='Apr 12 2007, 01:40 AM']Churches here only did it during Holy Week. I meant to it at home, but I couldn't get any purple cloth.
kinda reminds me of the [url="http://www.basiliquenddm.org/"]Basilica of our lady of Montreal.[/url][/quote]
I've been in both, and they're different, but they're both really beautiful. ND de Montreal is still my favourite of all the churches I've seen, though. I can't remember if the Mass I'm thinking of was at St. Pat's or the Cathedral (I know I've been to NET commissioning Masses in the basement of the Cathedral, but that's different.) Whichever church it was that I'm remembering, in terms of liturgy and over-all prayerfulness the one in Ottawa is better than at ND de Mtl... too many tourists here. And I think whoever they have at the one in Ottawa cares about liturgy properly. Part of the reason I like 'my' one so much is that I only go to it for diocesan events when it's full of people praying (eg, Corpus Christi).

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1242209' date='Apr 13 2007, 10:48 PM']the english link doesn't open :(.[/quote]
They haven't made the English version yet... a friend of mine, on her first visit to Ottawa (for that NET commissioning Mass) was kind of shocked to discover that, at least in terms of signs, Ottawa is much more bilingual than Mtl.
You can check out the pics and whatnot on the French side, but I never was happy with pics of ND de Mtl until I found a good one on Wikipedia. It's gone now, though :sadder:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='DemonSlayer' post='1245792' date='Apr 16 2007, 01:53 PM']My parish doesn't even have any statues.[/quote]
:(

puellapaschalis

The statues at the east end of the cathedral (it actually points north but ykwim) and the crucifixes (apart from the schumungous one hanging above the altar) were veiled from Lent 5 onwards. In purple, apart from the crucifixes which were in red on Palm Sunday and Good Friday. If memory serves, that is.

PP