An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Meltdown Happened!

ttomm46

Bake some bread pudding, and wrap up half of it incase somebody comments so you have some ready to give. Just the fact you did something in anticipation of helping someone helps re-focus the psyche. Walking around the block, prepared to stop and greet someone, help carry the groceries in, etc., will do wonders even if the opportunity doesn't arrise. Just the fact you went out and spent 5 minutes outside with the attitude you are prepared to help somebody helps yourself with a sense of accomplishment, self worth, and puts your problems in better perspective. As a Christian, you've opened yourself to be an instrument of God's grace. If the opportunity doesn't happen, that's because God chose to order things that way, not because you weren't capable or worthy.

Doing things for other people is really helpful, Anomaly is right.

A theme I see over and over again in John Paul II's writing is that it is through a free gift of self that man truly finds himself. There is great power in giving to others, and in being open to others' gifts to you. It's because we're built to be in relationship ... that's where healing happens, when we open to give ourselves to others and receive others gifts to us.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1240823' date='Apr 12 2007, 11:03 PM']Doing things for other people is really helpful, Anomaly is right.

A theme I see over and over again in John Paul II's writing is that it is through a free gift of self that man truly finds himself. There is great power in giving to others, and in being open to others' gifts to you. It's because we're built to be in relationship ... that's where healing happens, when we open to give ourselves to others and receive others gifts to us.[/quote]

Whoa that is an awesome explanation. Thanks for sharing.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1240823' date='Apr 13 2007, 12:03 AM']Doing things for other people is really helpful, Anomaly is right.

A theme I see over and over again in John Paul II's writing is that it is through a free gift of self that man truly finds himself. There is great power in giving to others, and in being open to others' gifts to you. It's because we're built to be in relationship ... that's where healing happens, when we open to give ourselves to others and receive others gifts to us.[/quote]On Cardinal Arinze's latest podcast ([url="http://arinzewebcast.com/"]link to Deus Caritas Est - Part VI[/url]), he discusses the connection between God's Love for us (expressed in the gift of the Eucharist) and our love of neighbor. Quoting paragraph 14 of the encyclical (bold is mine):[quote]Here we need to consider yet another aspect: this sacramental “mysticism” is social in character, for in sacramental communion I become one with the Lord, like all the other communicants. As Saint Paul says, “Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread” (1 Cor 10:17). Union with Christ is also union with all those to whom he gives himself. I cannot possess Christ just for myself; I can belong to him only in union with all those who have become, or who will become, his own. Communion draws me out of myself towards him, and thus also towards unity with all Christians. We become “one body”, completely joined in a single existence. Love of God and love of neighbour are now truly united: God incarnate draws us all to himself. We can thus understand how [i]agape[/i] also became a term for the Eucharist: there God's own [i]agape[/i] comes to us bodily, in order to continue his work in us and through us. Only by keeping in mind this Christological and sacramental basis can we correctly understand Jesus' teaching on love. The transition which he makes from the Law and the Prophets to the twofold commandment of love of God and of neighbour, and his grounding the whole life of faith on this central precept, is not simply a matter of morality—something that could exist apart from and alongside faith in Christ and its sacramental re-actualization. Faith, worship and [i]ethos[/i] are interwoven as a single reality which takes shape in our encounter with God's [i]agape[/i]. Here the usual contraposition between worship and ethics simply falls apart. [b]“Worship” itself, Eucharistic communion, includes the reality both of being loved and of loving others in turn. A Eucharist which does not pass over into the concrete practice of love is intrinsically fragmented. Conversely, as we shall have to consider in greater detail below, the “commandment” of love is only possible because it is more than a requirement. Love can be “commanded” because it has first been given.[/b][/quote]I think this is why we find joy and peace in helping others. As we are "made in the image and likeness of God," we are hard-wired for loving others.

[quote name='rick77' post='1240345' date='Apr 12 2007, 06:16 PM']That's the funniest thing I've seen on here in forever. Your cool Tom. :smokey:[/quote]
So was a mans depression,.... and raisins! It made me giggle! JC

Now I'm depressed.

The benefits of being open to being nice to people doesn't have to be explained with a seminarian's college thesis.

And where's that recipe for Bread Pudding?

Ash Wednesday

Awww...hugs.

I feel for anyone that struggles with depression. I'm no stranger to it, either.

That southern lady on Food Network did this chocolate bread pudding recipe... what's her name, Paula Deen. Oh my dog that looked soooooo freaking amazing.
:drool:

[url="http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_33093,00.html?rsrc=search"]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...tml?rsrc=search[/url]

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=54896&hl=pudding"]Here's dUSt's bread pudding recipe[/url]

(not so secret after all)

Edited by Terra Firma

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1241324' date='Apr 13 2007, 08:57 AM'][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=54896&hl=pudding"]Here's dUSt's bread pudding recipe[/url]

(not so secret after all)[/quote]
Luckily I got my meds and they have started kicking in somewhat..Chocolate bread pudding..mmmmmmmmmm....I'd love it.lol

Groo the Wanderer

ewww!

egg substitute
splenda
2% milk
low fat butter substitute

:unsure:

at least the bourbon is real :taco:

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1241306' date='Apr 13 2007, 09:10 AM']Now I'm depressed.

The benefits of being open to being nice to people doesn't have to be explained with a seminarian's college thesis.[/quote]If you're referring to my post, I'm sorry for having offended you. I happened to be listening to the podcast last night, and it reminded me of this thread, so I thought it would be nice to share.

I think alittle outside perspective mixed with a little humor is always a great remedy for depression! It's even better mixed with food talk,...provided its not gluttoness food talk!!!!! Pre-meditated gluttony= wearing sweats to your favorite restaurant! Depressed people don't need a bunch of serious talk all of the time! JC