An Old School Catholic Message Board

Building Your Own Church.

Akalyte

How did these people come up with such a ludicrous idea? Where does the bible say that men must build their own Churches based on their personal interpretations. I want to see verses.

Mateo el Feo

In my view, it's interesting that the New Testament epistles focus so much on correcting local churches, which puts into question the whole idea of having an independent local church which answers to no one.

[quote name='T-Bone' post='1244803' date='Apr 15 2007, 08:13 PM']Well, you know, Protestants have an excuse for everything...[/quote]

Indeed. I think the excuse is something along the lines of "St Paul was just advising those nice communities" or something to that extent...

Was the guy casting out demons wrong for building "his own church"?

Mar 9:38 ΒΆ And John answered him, saying, Master, [u]we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
[/u]
Mar 9:39 But Jesus said, [b]Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

Mar 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.[/b]

Interesting quote. I must say it's almost obscure, but I don't think he 'started' his own Church. In fact, he was following Jesus, but wasn't tagging along with the Apostles.

What verses? As a Protestant here, I will freely admit that history shows Luther wanted reform, yes, but not most likely the Reformation. Politicians/rulers of the time saw a chance to get their own power and money, and challenged the power of the Church with the whole idea of "protest". Unfortunately this is followed by Catholic/Protestant wars, and violence that continues in far smaller amounts to this day.

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1244747' date='Apr 15 2007, 06:40 PM']Where does the bible say that men must build their own Churches based on their personal interpretations. I want to see verses.[/quote]

I can only answer from what I have heard from others.

1) Bible does not say that we [u]must[/u].
2) The basis of evangelical thought is the "great commission." Therefore, whatever can help "save souls" will be better, and people tend to go toward places where they have common ground.
3) Build specific churches tailored to a specific viewpoint to "save souls."

The other reason I have heard is:
1) Other people got it wrong and are going to hell.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='zdog042' post='1246044' date='Apr 16 2007, 06:15 PM']3) Build specific churches tailored to a specific viewpoint to "save souls."[/quote]So, if I'd like to target a specific demographic (let's say polygamists), I should found a church in which polygamy is regarded as acceptable?

zdog, what do you YOURSELF understand it as? What is the justification for attending and creating seperate churches?

thessalonian

3) Build specific churches tailored to a specific viewpoint to "save souls."

You gotta be joking.

I've also heard that God allows the denomination's in order to hide the truth from Satan. Really, this was from a Protestant pastor. He actually thought that God wanted the truth mixed with error to keep the deciever from finding the truth. Funny thing is it keeps people pretty confused and dived as well.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1246050' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:23 PM']So, if I'd like to target a specific demographic (let's say polygamists), I should found a church in which polygamy is regarded as acceptable?[/quote]

No, and you understand that is not the case. Lets say a specific church to reach young couples, or a specific church to reach asian immigrants. Not polygamist.

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1246370' date='Apr 16 2007, 08:00 PM']3) Build specific churches tailored to a specific viewpoint to "save souls."

You gotta be joking.

I've also heard that God allows the denomination's in order to hide the truth from Satan. Really, this was from a Protestant pastor. He actually thought that God wanted the truth mixed with error to keep the deciever from finding the truth. Funny thing is it keeps people pretty confused and dived as well.[/quote]

It makes me sad to hear such polemic words from you friend

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1246477' date='Apr 16 2007, 09:03 PM']Divided, and conquerable...[/quote]

Your own family?

Words are beyond me. But you guys all pretty much smell of elderberries right now. I pray to God and to all the saints that I never have the perspective that you display here. If saying this makes me never a militant, or it even gets me a phisy that is fine. Heck, a mod might edit this. But you guys... I dunno. Why would you ever say that? Are protestants unintellgent hippies? Children on a lil bus? Are they less than you? For a protestant to have a legit faith takes so much time, and so much commitment to the scriptures and to love. To council and hold the weak. My own convinctions of the sacraments and the authority of history led to my conversion. But dont think for a second I felt protestantism lacking. (I felt there was plenty of idiots involved, but I think the same for catholicism) I have spent the better part of 3 years now on this website, i have spent countless hours reading posts from you guys. I have spent time in dialogue with you guys. I have grown to respect and love you as brothers. But to see you beat down and dehumanize someone who is for me an example of heartfilled faith that I have spent numerous parts of the last 4 years desiring to be like, it just leaves me overwhelmed.

Thank you.

Again, these are only reasons I have heard. Apparantely I need to be more specific so my words are not misrepresented. For the duration, I will be speaking as if I completely believe the words I have heard. These are not my opinions.
--------------------
When I talk about viewpoint, I should have defined my wording. I meant that because people are attracted to people who are like them, we should create churches that will attract people to it so that we can save souls and bring people to Christ. This does not mean that we should accept their sin as being good, but we should create churches that will accept them as people. Where would you want sinners but in the church where they can heal and be saved? Would you rather have them out in the world, going farther down their path toward unholiness?

That is why we should have different churches. Each denomination has different gifts, and can reach different people. We all need to work together so that we can reach the whole of the world for Christ.

So, that is why we believe that they should create new churches. A church should be targeted toward an segment of the population and work toward attracting them. This does not mean that we should skimp on the truth of the bible. Instead we should create an environment that we can share this truth with the non-Christian masses.
-------------------

My viewpoint, is that we have overchurched the population, watered down the gospel, and made Christianity a laughing stock within the world with ineffective methods and lifestyle. If Christians can not act like Christians, then we are doing something wrong. If a transformation does not happen, something is wrong. That may be with the church or with the person, but something something is out of wack somewhere. New churches are not needed, a transformation of the churches we have is in order.