An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Old Catholicteens.com Members?

tvu_srfan

Hey who on here used to be a catholicteens member? I think I recognized a couple of names on here. I've just been wondering if anyone else here used to go on catholicteens.com. I was CFL_4the_AFC (Dory).

[quote name='tvu_srfan' post='1245219' date='Apr 16 2007, 12:24 AM']Hey who on here used to be a catholicteens member? I think I recognized a couple of names on here. I've just been wondering if anyone else here used to go on catholicteens.com. I was CFL_4the_AFC (Dory).[/quote]

Hey. Yeah, I am Kujo from CatholicTeens.com.

Sorry we had to shut it down...it really smells of elderberries!

[quote name='fearundercontrol' post='1245570' date='Apr 16 2007, 11:15 AM']Why'd you have to shut it down?[/quote]

For a variety of reasons. Mainly, we were unable to accomplish our original goal: to provide a [b]safe[/b] alternative to Myspace. Our definitioin of "safe" involved heavy moderation, constant spying (on members), and keeping sickos and weirdos out. And we were able to do that for quite awhile; however, as more and more teens came onto the site (about 2700 when we closed the doors) we started to not be able to protect ya'll because, simply, there was only 4 of us (myself, Jezreel, Gigi and Brendan the Political Guy) who were moderating. It got to the point where we were like "Wow...we can't tell if any one of these teens is actually a teen or not." So, after a great deal of prayer, we decided that it would be best for us to close it down.

On a side note, we received notification from the bishop of our diocese (Orlando) that it was not acceptable for us to host a webpage like the one we had for minors for liability reasons. This notification was sent about 5 days after we closed the site down...so it would've had to come down anyway.

[quote name='kujo' post='1245682' date='Apr 16 2007, 12:50 PM']For a variety of reasons. Mainly, we were unable to accomplish our original goal: to provide a [b]safe[/b] alternative to . Our definitioin of "safe" involved heavy moderation, constant spying (on members), and keeping sickos and weirdos out. And we were able to do that for quite awhile; however, as more and more teens came onto the site (about 2700 when we closed the doors) we started to not be able to protect ya'll because, simply, there was only 4 of us (myself, Jezreel, Gigi and Brendan the Political Guy) who were moderating. It got to the point where we were like "Wow...we can't tell if any one of these teens is actually a teen or not." So, after a great deal of prayer, we decided that it would be best for us to close it down.

On a side note, we received notification from the bishop of our diocese (Orlando) that it was not acceptable for us to host a webpage like the one we had for minors for liability reasons. This notification was sent about 5 days after we closed the site down...so it would've had to come down anyway.[/quote]

Oh hey Kujo! Yeah I read the stuff on the lifeteen board about why you closed it. And actually my dad emailed Jezreel about it, so I've heard a little bit about it. Yea, at first I was really bummed out about it closing down. But then I remembered that before it closed down I started to notice how the feel of the website started to change. The new people were really different and some of the old people stopped coming on. So, I guess it was for the better. And at first I was upset about maybe not having a chance to talk to my friends there anymore but hey who knows maybe I might come across one of them in the future. I'm really glad I had the opportunity though, it was an awesome place. I know it probably took you guys some hard work to build it and take care of it. thanks so mucb! :D: But I understand why it had to be shut down.

Oh yeah and it was me, Lauren, Jevitt (Josh), Roddy, and Mary (paulinecamile) and we had like this "CT Family" thing going on. Ahh good times, good times. lol.

[quote name='tvu_srfan' post='1245921' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:11 PM']Oh hey Kujo! Yeah I read the stuff on the lifeteen board about why you closed it. And actually my dad emailed Jezreel about it, so I've heard a little bit about it. Yea, at first I was really bummed out about it closing down. But then I remembered that before it closed down I started to notice how the feel of the website started to change. The new people were really different and some of the old people stopped coming on. So, I guess it was for the better. And at first I was upset about maybe not having a chance to talk to my friends there anymore but hey who knows maybe I might come across one of them in the future. I'm really glad I had the opportunity though, it was an awesome place. I know it probably took you guys some hard work to build it and take care of it. thanks so mucb! :D: But I understand why it had to be shut down.

Oh yeah and it was me, Lauren, Jevitt (Josh), Roddy, and Mary (paulinecamile) and we had like this "CT Family" thing going on. Ahh good times, good times. lol.[/quote]

Roddy is a good friend of mine. I am a CORE Member/Assistant Youth Minister at his parish. I'll tell him you said hello.

yeah I was on it until a few months ago. I just stopped going cuz there were mostly minors and I'm twenty so I figured that might be kinda weird to the parents of some of these teens. I know there were a few others my age on there, but there were also many younger kids.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1246013' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:50 PM']yeah I was on it until a few months ago. I just stopped going cuz there were mostly minors and I'm twenty so I figured that might be kinda weird to the parents of some of these teens. I know there were a few others my age on there, but there were also many younger kids.[/quote]

Yeah, it [i]was[/i] called Catholic[b]TEENS[/b].COM. That's why there were a lot of minors...

[quote name='kujo' post='1245968' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:26 PM']Roddy is a good friend of mine. I am a CORE Member/Assistant Youth Minister at his parish. I'll tell him you said hello.[/quote]

Yay!! Thanks!

Haha. Yeah I thought that you knew him, he mentioned you a few times.

[quote name='kujo' post='1246040' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:13 PM']Yeah, it [i]was[/i] called Catholic[b]TEENS[/b].COM. That's why there were a lot of minors...[/quote]

dost I sense some hostility my dear kujo? I wasn't the only "over eighteen" one on there, and the whole project seemed to stress more of a 'safe catholic alternative to myspace' than a 'teens only' atmosphere.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1248194' date='Apr 18 2007, 06:56 PM']dost I sense some hostility my dear kujo? I wasn't the only "over eighteen" one on there, and the whole project seemed to stress more of a 'safe catholic alternative to myspace' than a 'teens only' atmosphere.[/quote]

No hostility mi hermano. Just making a joke using Kujo's signature sarcasm.

And that was partially the reason we closed down in the first place. We had no way of a) ensuring the sort of security we wanted and b) verifying that any single person on there was a teen. We tried to have a young adult version (CatholicYA.com) but it failed due to lack of money.

I apologize for the confusion. I guess my sense of humor doesn't translate well over the internet.

[quote name='kujo' post='1248203' date='Apr 18 2007, 06:07 PM']No hostility mi hermano. Just making a joke using Kujo's signature sarcasm.

And that was partially the reason we closed down in the first place. We had no way of a) ensuring the sort of security we wanted and b) verifying that any single person on there was a teen. We tried to have a young adult version (CatholicYA.com) but it failed due to lack of money.

I apologize for the confusion. I guess my sense of humor doesn't translate well over the internet.[/quote]

des koo... it was a great site, I just shoulda stayed off it in the first place (i wish we had it a few years ago.) but yeah the liability would be pretty unpredicatble with the internet the way it is now.