An Old School Catholic Message Board

33 Dead, 15 Wounded On The Campus Of Virginia Tech University Today

alicemary

A Yearning Heart

[quote name='ttomm46' post='1246927' date='Apr 17 2007, 05:20 PM']Also some prayers for my friends in Virginia..Two weeks ago a real good friend of theirs was murdered in a Richmond motel in front of his two young adult sons by four masked robbers..they killed him for nothing...Pray for his family please.

Tom[/quote]

You've got 'em :bigpray:

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1246896' date='Apr 17 2007, 01:09 AM']Don't they have something better to do? Why is he picketing for them? What did they do to get on his hit list?[/quote]

They rejoice in every tragedy that befalls Americans because they view it as God's wrath on a perverse nation.

I saw a BBC documentary on Westboro Baptist Church. Phelps is one very VERY angry, hate-filled man.

CoffeeCatholic

Just found out this morning that the girl who was killed in the dorm, Emily, was a friend of my brother's from high school. She graduated in 06, he graduates this year. The school is in shock, especially since it's such a small and close knit community. They only have 2 schools for the whole county (an elementary and a high) and the graduating class size is 40 something. They're closed today because they don't have power from the wind storms, but I can't even imagine what going to school tomorrow is going to be like for my brother. Please pray for him and his friends.

just 2 years ago, he lost his friend and fellow football teammate in a car crash. This community has been struck enough. Please pray for peace there and everywhere.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='ThyHolyLove' post='1246842' date='Apr 17 2007, 12:28 AM']Well kids, it just got worse. I found out through a Virginia Tech message board that "Rev." Fred Phelps is planning to picket at the funerals of victims. I cannot imagine anything more distressing for these families. Haven't they been through enough? Please pray that God will intervene.[/quote]
There is no American I dislike more than Fred Phelps.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1247037' date='Apr 17 2007, 10:31 AM']There is no American I dislike more than Fred Phelps.[/quote]
I may agree with this. I'm still going through the list of Americans I know, though ... might take a while

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1247039' date='Apr 17 2007, 11:32 AM']I may agree with this. I'm still going through the list of Americans I know, though ... might take a while[/quote]
I went through the list... Televangelists, politicians, celebraties... I could not come up with anyone. Some close seconds, but not equal. Spewing hate with every breath tops the cake.

Prayers.

The guy who did it was truly disturbed--just a few weeks left til graduation.

This is all very sad.

Pray that Phelps doesn't disrupt.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1247037' date='Apr 17 2007, 12:31 PM']There is no American I dislike more than Fred Phelps.[/quote]

Unfortunately, my friends, there is another American to add to your consideration. A friend of a friend had this to say about the tragedy (take from a Facebook entry):

[quote]i dont sympathize, just joined the group to write on the wall

this is what you get for being scared. People are scared that they will get shot, so they make guns illegal on campus, but surprise, people who want to kill you dont follow the laws, and bring guns to school and kill people who, as law abiding citizens, cant bring guns to school to defend themselves.

i find it retarded that people keep getting shot at school, and everyone is shocked. imagine that 30+ people get killed OMG HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? well maybe you are retarded. if everyone had a gun, i'm pretty sure the gunman would be gunned down himself.

now let the arguments commence, lets try to keep this intellectual and no name calling[/quote]

Makes me sick. This guy has been in my house, eaten at my table...I can't believe it. He better not show his face around my crib again...

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='kujo' post='1247086' date='Apr 17 2007, 02:06 PM']Unfortunately, my friends, there is another American to add to your consideration. A friend of a friend had this to say about the tragedy (take from a Facebook entry):
Makes me sick. This guy has been in my house, eaten at my table...I can't believe it. He better not show his face around my crib again...[/quote]
If there had been a security guard at the building with a gun the outcome might have been different. However this is neither the time of place for such a discussion. Don't lose a friend over a difference of opinion. We are react to tragedy in different ways.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1247104' date='Apr 17 2007, 02:33 PM']If there had been a security guard at the building with a gun the outcome might have been different. However this is neither the time of place for such a discussion. Don't lose a friend over a difference of opinion. We are react to tragedy in different ways.[/quote]

Maybe I was unclear...this kid is NOT my friend. This sort of filth comes from him all the time. And it's not a "difference of opinion"....it's a horrible, heartless comment to make.

littleflower+JMJ

They need to FIRE the president, police chief and the counselors and english teachers who did not do anything.

Yes, it was the same killer in both spots.

Yes, you made a mistake by letting TWO hours go before sending out any word.

Yes, you failed to protect the students by letting them walk into their own sentence unknownly.

Yes, it was all because you did not want to cause your school more scandal by its insecurities and incapabilities to provide a safe environment for your students, and left them defenseless against a killer.

I'm angry at these people. All they've given us is excuses and excuses.

Lord, have mercy on them

CatholicAndFanatical

Hey everyone. Such a horrible tragedy. I am watching the VA convocation right now on Foxnews online. So sad. I have to ask though, where are the Priests? There are only 4 religious leaders that are there to help. One muslim, budhist, some lady, and a protestant minister...sure wish there was a Priest up there..this was a Catholic University right? Thought I read that somewhere, could be wrong.

Anyway, prayers for the families of the victims and all that witnessed it.

Edited by CatholicAndFanatical

Virginia Tech is a public, state university, not a Catholic one. It is in an area where about 2% of the population is Catholic, so that's probably why you don't see a priest there. There are a lot of Catholics on the campus though, and a campus ministry.

Edit: They no longer have a priest for a campus minister, because of the priest shortage in the diocese, so the lady you saw is probably the Catholic campus minister.

Edited by morostheos