An Old School Catholic Message Board

"there Are Many Nervous Bishops"

mortify

KnightofChrist

According the the rumors the indult doesnt need the Bishops approval, just the priest who wishes to preform the Tridentine Rite Mass.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1246299' date='Apr 16 2007, 08:36 PM']I do it to get around the C-a-r-p fiddler. As a man who enjoys his fishing the thought of poo is better than that poo of a fish

(as I sit eating smoked king salmon caught in san jose)[/quote]

the fiddler is there for a reason. We don't like the word.
Make variations and we will improve the fiddler.
So kindly lay off the variations, cause we would really rather just eat the salmon.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='mortify' post='1246790' date='Apr 17 2007, 12:47 AM']I'm still confused how the Tridentine Mass could be suppressed in the first place.[/quote]
Its real simple. The Church uses a different rite now, so the old rite is not used without special permission. Pope St Pius V did it when he suppressed all rites other than those 200+ years old.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1246801' date='Apr 16 2007, 10:52 PM']Its real simple. The Church uses a different rite now, so the old rite is not used without special permission. Pope St Pius V did it when he suppressed all rites other than those 200+ years old.[/quote]

Cmom, that's interesting, I had to read about it but I don't see what's happening now as comparable to what Pope St Pius V did, the most they have in common is that something was suppressed. He was suppressing certain newer (not all) rites in order to standardize the more ancient rites and preserve the Mass from protestant influences. Preserving Catholic teaching by preserving the older Rites makes sense to me. Besides, we're not talking about vast differences between the rites. I don't understand why the Tridentine mass, being that it is the product of over a millennia of Saintly and Divine input, would suddenly become suppressed by a novel rite. Can such a novel rite suppress a solid ancient one? Personally, I don't think vat ii suppressed the Tridentine mass, I think that's why Pope Benedict is keen on permitting a universal indult.

I say if the Tridentine mass is objectively reverent, intrinsically faithful to catholic teaching, and fosters faith, why suppress it?