An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant Communion Compared To "catholic Holy Communion."

White Knight

White Knight

Does anyone here find it strange that in Protestant tradition "modern age protestism" has taken the approach that in "their" Communion service, they are completely unfaithful to what Jesus said to do as far using the substance to concengrate the Host?

I mean I see a bunch of Protestant services that dont use Wine, but rather grape fruit juice as the replacement, and for the bread they sometimes use regular artifical crackers instead of the bread, Now what I find odd is the fact that the Protestants who are so strict about keeping Sacred Scripture and staying accurate to it can fall so far from this topic.

I used to belief in Protestant Communion dont get me wrong, I was a Protestant for a while, but then as I started to study more about the Catholic Communion I see its More Faithful to Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition than Protestant tradition in modern services.

The fact that Protestants are so strict on Anti-Alcohol these days dont help with their situation I think, Also I tend to think Protestants overlook all the "wine" references in "their own" Bible. such as Jesus preforms His First Miracle as the Wedding of Cana, but this doesn't suprise me too much because they often overlook this and know it with in its context, if they did they would find out a peice of the Truth about "Mary"

But Mary is another issue all together, just trying to stick to Communion however.

[b]I think I may have already given my answer but I just wanna see if people agree with this or not, but Do you believe the Anti-Alcohol period movement with in Protestant Christianity, is the main cause for them not celebrating their communion properly? if so this doesn't explain the lack of use of the unleavened bread, or do you believe this is entirally different?[/b]

[color="#FF0000"][size=4][b]Thanks God Bless, Pax Christi, Happy Third Sunday of Easter Season which is Approaching.[/b][/size][/color]

[b]PS: I am aware of the fact that not all Protestants aren't unfaithful to carring out communion interms of "their substances" but the fact is there are in some areas "limits to this" I find it very easy to see that this is a growing majority, I dont dislike Protestants I believe they are Our Seperated Breathen, and we sould Love them as Christ loves them and all.[/b]

Edited by White Knight

Phoenix Reborn

Well, all I really know is its a mortal sin for a Catholic to take Protestant communion. Not sure if you already know that...

White Knight

I knew that, I haven't taken Protestant Communion as a Catholic, dont ever want too, I also know its a Sin to take Holy Communion in the state of Mortal Sin without prior sacramental recouncilation (Confession); lol but I wasn't really addressing this issue really I was going for the substances contained in a Protestant communion. lol sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

I believe you are right that the temperance movement was what spurred many Protestant denominations to give up the use of wine in communion. I know Lutherans and maybe Anglican/Episcopalians still use wine, but I have only gone to one other church that does. Most use grape juice. Welch's gets a lot of business from Protestants.

As far as why such substitutions were allowed in the first place ... In Protestant theology there is a quasi-denial of the integration of the physical and the spiritual. As Catholics, we believe that spiritual graces are conferred through physical means. Most Protestants (Anglicans and Lutherans being notable exceptions) do not believe this, instead seeing the act of communion as a mainly spiritual act -- that the physical is merely a reminder of the spiritual, rather than something that conveys grace. So, the physical becomes unimportant -- anything that reminds you of the spiritual will suffice. Hence, you can have grape juice instead of wine, or crackers instead of bread, or coke and pizza, or whatever, so long as you are "spiritually communing."

a LOT of people are allergic to wine because of the sulfites.

I dont like little kids sipping alcohol and then you have alcoholics who need to avoid even a taste.

The churches that use grape juice are smarter.

thessalonian

[quote name='Budge' post='1247991' date='Apr 18 2007, 11:57 AM']The churches that use grape juice are smarter.[/quote]

Smarter than Jesus I guess. <_< He used wine.

[quote name='Budge' post='1247991' date='Apr 18 2007, 11:57 AM']a LOT of people are allergic to wine because of the sulfites.

I dont like little kids sipping alcohol and then you have alcoholics who need to avoid even a taste.

The churches that use grape juice are smarter.[/quote]
Grape Juice is not biblical

Hey I doubt the wine of back then was full of sulfites that could kill asthmatics.

And there are theories the wine of that time had a LOT less alcohol, only some alcohol was added to kill impurities.

thessalonian

The Catholic Church makes it's own wine, without the impurities. Why don't you? But instead you have to be wiser than Jesus and change what the Bible says to fit your practice.

Budge.

I understand you are talking about an Anaphylaxis reaction. Understand that this can happen in other food allergies as well. Often the person does not know about the allergy, and then one day they are eating and have the attack.

Now, the sulfites in wine will have an extreme anaphylatic reaction, but it is beyond rare for someone to have that allergy. Only 5-10% of asthmatics could have this allergy. According to the FDA only 6 people since 1980 have died of this and all of them were in resturants. According to the FDA a 4 ounce glass of wine has 42 milligrams of sulfites, where as the average salid at a resturant has 160, and dried fruit like apricots have well over 175.

Now, nobody drinks 4 ounces of wine at the Lord's supper.

The rare reaction to this allergy is amazing. First of all, an esitmated 2% of the adult population has a food allergy, most of these are nuts and fish.

If an estimated 1.2-16% of the population will have an anaphylatic reaction in their lifetime, yet only 0.002% are fatal (Food and Allergy health)

This is a straw argument ma'am,

and the best part? You can just take the bread and avoid the wine and still obtain the BBSD of our Savior. So we avoid this problem all together

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1248019' date='Apr 18 2007, 12:26 PM']The Catholic Church makes it's own wine, without the impurities. Why don't you? But instead you have to be wiser than Jesus and change what the Bible says to fit your practice.[/quote]

I didnt know that. That is awesome. But sad

awesome cause it is taking responsability

sad cause it tastes good. :lol_roll: something about the feet of monks just adds a nice sweetness to the wine

[quote]Only 5-10% of asthmatics could have this allergy.[/quote]

Compare that percentage to how many asthmatics there are today, especially children.

Anyhow its a moot point, Im enjoying the grape juice, its perfectly fine for a Lords supper, I dont think God cares that there is NO alcohol content in the Protestant Christian Lords Supper.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Budge' post='1248040' date='Apr 18 2007, 02:03 PM']Compare that percentage to how many asthmatics there are today, especially children.

Anyhow its a moot point, Im enjoying the grape juice, its perfectly fine for a Lords supper, I dont think God cares that there is NO alcohol content in the Protestant Christian Lords Supper.[/quote]
But He probably does care that it is only symbolic, instead of the real thing. :)

thessalonian

[quote name='Budge' post='1248040' date='Apr 18 2007, 01:03 PM']Compare that percentage to how many asthmatics there are today, especially children.

[quote]Anyhow its a moot point, Im enjoying the grape juice,[/quote]

That's what it's about. The lord making sure we enjoy some grape juice? How saddly irreverent.

[quote]its perfectly fine for a Lords supper, [b]I dont think[/b] God cares that there is NO alcohol content in the Protestant Christian Lords Supper.[/quote]

But it's not what you think that matters. Jesus instituted the Lord's Supper and it's clear he was thinking wine.

"well I don't think it matters if i get baptized in a bath of beer".

White Knight

[quote name='Budge' post='1247991' date='Apr 18 2007, 11:57 AM']a LOT of people are allergic to wine because of the sulfites.

The churches that use grape juice are smarter.[/quote]

Churches who use grape fruit juice are not being faithful to what Jesus said, nor being faithful to His Word.